E-1-3-5---------------
it's really good for exercising your finger strength
and of btw fingering are:
1=indexfinger
3=middlefinger
5=pinky
of course.............
Cheers

So what's the point of this? That's hardly much of a stretch. I can do that using just my first 3 fingers. A better stretch is Shawn Lane's insane Fmaj9:

e|--0
B|--6
G|-12
D|-10
A|--8
E|--5

Quote by ...Sir...
Whats a scale.

Please tell me you're joking. Scales are one of the most important principles in all of music. Everything is based off of them.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by BarbaricJethro
Isn't that an Fmin scale?

Nope. It's F major.
Quote by BarbaricJethro
Isn't that an Fmin scale?

nope F major is F G A Bb C D E F
F minor is F G Ab Bb C Db Eb F
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Quote by krypticguitar87
nope F major is F G A Bb C D E F
F minor is F G Ab Bb C Db Eb F

Indeed you're right; I must be going mad.
Joe Satriani isn't a man, but a god.
Quote by Junior#1
So what's the point of this? That's hardly much of a stretch. I can do that using just my first 3 fingers. A better stretch is Shawn Lane's insane Fmaj9:

e|--0
B|--6
G|-12
D|-10
A|--8
E|--5

Please tell me you're joking. Scales are one of the most important principles in all of music. Everything is based off of them.

yeah it's not that much of a stretch but it's more for training strength and btw that shawn lane bit is amazing! very helpfull.....
Quote by Junior#1

I'm pretty sure they were joking.

Junior#1 - Watch this clip and tell me everything is based off scales. Carol Kaye is one of the most infulential bassists of all time. She has played on tens of thousands of tracks over the last 50 years. In this clip she talks about how in the 50's they would make fun of people who played note scales and how they would refused to play with them. Because everything they played in Jazz were chormatics based of chord tones. And you can't find those types of runs in note scales. The only scale you can find those tones are in the Chromatic, but thats just because it includes every single note.

To say everything is based of scales is a bit assinie. There is way more to music than just scales or even notes for that matter!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9idtdWAAEA
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
Quote by TheMooseKnuckle
I'm pretty sure they were joking.

Junior#1 - Watch this clip and tell me everything is based off scales. Carol Kaye is one of the most infulential bassists of all time. She has played on tens of thousands of tracks over the last 50 years. In this clip she talks about how in the 50's they would make fun of people who played note scales and how they would refused to play with them. Because everything they played in Jazz were chormatics based of chord tones. And you can't find those types of runs in note scales. The only scale you can find those tones are in the Chromatic, but thats just because it includes every single note.

To say everything is based of scales is a bit assinie. There is way more to music than just scales or even notes for that matter!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9idtdWAAEA

Ok jazz is an exception. But ever chord, riff, solo, etc. in every other genre is made using scales. Even if the musicians don't know they are using scales, they probably are. Take Opeth for example. They know zero theory, but if you analyze one of their songs, it will more or less fit into a scale.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Quote by Junior#1
Ok jazz is an exception. But ever chord, riff, solo, etc. in every other genre is made using scales. Even if the musicians don't know they are using scales, they probably are. Take Opeth for example. They know zero theory, but if you analyze one of their songs, it will more or less fit into a scale.

Lol... I was just giving you a hard time.

But Jazz isnt alone Reggae, County, Blues, ect... pretty much anything with a walking baseline tends to lean pretty heavy on chromatics.

Your right all musicans know some thoery... if you can play a whole note for one measure you know something about thoery. Music was around before thoery... all theory does is explain what someone else has already done.

I will have to clear one thing up though, you said "it will more or less fit into a scale"... in western music everything always fits into this one scale... it's called THE CHROMATIC SCALE!!! It's the only scale that includes all 12 notes. Every single other scale in western music is nothing more than intervals taken from the chromatic. Lol, in the words of Victor Wooten "If i can make the chromatic scale work, I can make any scale work"
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
Last edited by TheMooseKnuckle at Apr 17, 2011,
Quote by Junior#1

e|--0
B|--6
G|-12
D|-10
A|--8
E|--5

How the F*CK would you finger that? Apart from it being a ridiculous stretch, it would be impossible to finger too..
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
Quote by TheMooseKnuckle
I will have to clear one thing up though, you said "it will more or less fit into a scale"... in western music everything always fits into this one scale... it's called THE CHROMATIC SCALE!!! It's the only scale that includes all 12 notes. Every single other scale in western music is nothing more than intervals taken from the chromatic. Lol, in the words of Victor Wooten "If i can make the chromatic scale work, I can make any scale work"

Technically you're right, but I was meaning things like major, minor, augmented, etc.

Quote by RDSElite
How the F*CK would you finger that? Apart from it being a ridiculous stretch, it would be impossible to finger too..

No it's not impossible, just tough. Pinky on the G, ring on the C (10th fret), middle on the F (8th fret), and then you have to barre your index finger on an angle to the A and F while letting the high e ring open. Hard but not impossible by any means.
Quote by Geldin
I'm playing in drop d, and this doesn't sound good at all. Its major you say? isn't major supposed to sound somewhat happy?
Quote by Junior#1
No it's not impossible, just tough. Pinky on the G, ring on the C (10th fret), middle on the F (8th fret), and then you have to barre your index finger on an angle to the A and F while letting the high e ring open. Hard but not impossible by any means.

Well, I can't do it.
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
Quote by RDSElite
Well, I can't do it.

Not yet, but with practice you can get it. It's not really practical by any means, but it is a good way to stretch out your hand.
Quote by Geldin