Page 1 of 2
So, I'm ordained as a minister.

Take a second to let that sink in.

I can legitimately use the title "Reverend" on legal documents.

It's kinda cool.

Anyways, although I'm an atheist, I am legally a reverend, and registered with an actual church.

Oh, and I'm 16.

I live in Wisconsin, where same-sex marriage is illegal. I, personally, am a strong supporter of gay marriage.

I plan to take my credentials provided by the church to the county clerk, to apply for my marriage license. Now, let's assume they don't laugh at me, and that this goes through; this is where it gets fun.

A large part of my group of friends also supports gay marriage, and also enjoy a good shenanigan or two.

I plan to begin performing same-sex, underage marriages as soon as I have my license (it's surprisingly easy to do, as far as I've been able to find). Obviously, these marriages will be deemed illegal once they are challenged, and I'm relatively sure the county will declare them void.

Anyways, think of it as a form of protest for gay marriage, think of it as exploiting a system, or think of it as ****ing around for the fun of it; it's really a blend of the three.

Anyways, other than my marriage license being revoked, are there any possible consequences that I'm missing? If the marriages are declared void, will the county take any action to punish any of those involved? I don't want any of my friends punished or hurt as a result of this. Also, other than my license being revoked, is it technically illegal for me to perform these marriages? Is it possible I will be arrested or fined for this?
You're gay? Nothing against gays, unless they're black... but I'm not racist, I just don't like black gay people... I'm okay with lesbians though, as long as they are bi-sexual... cause I have a penis

On the topic:

Successful troll is successful?
You can't legally do anything until you reach the age of majority.
You might get a "Awe ain't he cute" article in the local paper followed by bricks through your window but you aren't doing anything legal or illegal.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
I'm a reverend too, I registered to be one on some website based in some shithole in the far reaches of nowhere in the middle of the USA. They even emailed me some certificate that I printed out. I haven't done anything yet, but some day I shall perform the Good Lord's work.
Quote by Aindreas
You're gay? Nothing against gays, unless they're black... but I'm not racist, I just don't like black gay people... I'm okay with lesbians though, as long as they are bi-sexual... cause I have a penis
I'm not gay, but I'm a strong supporter of gay rights.

Quote by Jackal58
You can't legally do anything until you reach the age of majority.
Awwwww.

It wasn't mentioned anywhere in Wisconsin statutes or the county's website that I need to be 18; I was hoping that, seeing as I do have the Ordination Certificate and Letter of Good Standing from the church (or rather, can get them; I haven't had them mailed to me yet), it would just go through.
Quote by herby190
I'm not gay, but I'm a strong supporter of gay rights.

Awwwww.

It wasn't mentioned anywhere in Wisconsin statutes or the county's website that I need to be 18; I was hoping that, seeing as I do have the Ordination Certificate and Letter of Good Standing from the church (or rather, can get them; I haven't had them mailed to me yet), it would just go through.

In performing a marriage you are a party to a legal contract. You cannot be a party to a legal contract until you are 18.
Sorry dude. Wait 2 more years and I'll throw your bail.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58
In performing a marriage you are a party to a legal contract. You cannot be a party to a legal contract until you are 18.
Sorry dude. Wait 2 more years and I'll throw your bail.
Could I still technically get the license, or do you think I'd be denied? I'm asking the church the same thing, but I have no way of knowing how long it'll be til they get back to me.

If so, I plan to just fill them out anyways, just for the hell of it.
Quote by herby190
Could I still technically get the license, or do you think I'd be denied? I'm asking the church the same thing, but I have no way of knowing how long it'll be til they get back to me.

If so, I plan to just fill them out anyways, just for the hell of it.

Dunno. Best bet would be to ask your county clerk.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
I just wanted to know if there was any chance before I payed the $25 or so to have my credentials printed up and sent to me.
Urrgh, disgusting. This is what happens when you abandon apostolic succession. You get amoral atheist 'ministers'. Well done, Baptists.
Quote by Nosferatu Man
Urrgh, disgusting. This is what happens when you abandon apostolic succession. You get amoral atheist 'ministers'. Well done, Baptists.

Better than pedophilic popes.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58
Better than pedophilic popes.

I am not a papist, and I don't know any paedophile Bishops of Rome.
Quote by Nosferatu Man
I am not a papist, and I don't know any paedophile Bishops of Rome.

If you're concerned with apostolic succession you're a papist.
The Bishops of Rome know them and coddle them.

If Herby wishes to pay 25 bucks to become ordained to make a political point good for him. If his point disgusts you it's probably worth 50 bucks.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
I'm a 'Reverend' too. Did you get yours through the Universal Life Church?
██████████████████████████████
Quote by Jackal58
If you're concerned with apostolic succession you're a papist.

Wrong.

Quote by Jackal58
The Bishops of Rome know them and coddle them.

Even if true, that does not make him (there is only one) a paedophile.

Quote by Jackal58
If Herby wishes to pay 25 bucks to become ordained to make a political point good for him. If his point disgusts you it's probably worth 50 bucks.

It is not good for him.
Quote by Nosferatu Man
Wrong.

Even if true, that does not make him (there is only one) a paedophile.

It is not good for him.

How do you define apostolic succession?

Any individual that protects pedophiles is as bad or worse that the pedophile. And there are more than 1.

Who are you to define what is or is not good for him? Or anybody else for that matter?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by 23dannybhoy23
You're an atheist, but you got ordained as a minister. Aren't you kind of a fraud, then?

Aren't they all???
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Who'd have thought this would turn into a political discussion? O.o

Quote by Ralbert07
I'm a 'Reverend' too. Did you get yours through the Universal Life Church?
Nope. Open Ministry; it's a church in San Diego.

Quote by 23dannybhoy23
You're an atheist, but you got ordained as a minister. Aren't you kind of a fraud, then?
I'm not entirely sure. It's a non-denominational church, so who's to define what makes me a "real" minister?

Quote by Jackal58
Aren't they all???

Quote by herby190
Who'd have thought this would turn into a political discussion? O.o

Nope. Open Ministry; it's a church in San Diego.

I'm not entirely sure. It's a non-denominational church, so who's to define what makes me a "real" minister?

Apparently Jackson and Lincoln do.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by herby190

Apostolic succession.
Quote by Jackal58
Apparently Jackson and Lincoln do.
Well, I'm already ordained; the money is just to get the papers to prove it.
Quote by Nosferatu Man
Apostolic succession.

And that is?
Please enlighten those that are unfamiliar with the term.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58
And that is?
Please enlighten those that are unfamiliar with the term.

The succession of legitimate ordination from Priest/minster/Bishop right back to the apostles.
Quote by Nosferatu Man
The succession of legitimate ordination from Priest/minster/Bishop right back to the apostles.

In other words........ complete bullshit dealing with the aspect of divine right.
Quote by Nosferatu Man

So only Roman Catholics, Orthodox Catholics and the Church of England have any legitimacy in the Christian world?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58
So only Roman Catholics, Orthodox Catholics and the Church of England have any legitimacy in the Christian world?

No, there are others.
Quote by Nosferatu Man
Just because you believe the Catholic church is the end-all right church, that doesn't change the fact that other people have their own beliefs; lern2opinion.

Besides, there's a reason the protestants left; the Catholic church was corrupt as ****.
Quote by Nosferatu Man
No, there are others.

Really? I was under the misimpression that those were the only ones that were true to
apostolic succession. Who are the others? Serious question. I enjoy learning.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Nosferatu Man

That's self-legitimizing, i.e., not legitimate at all. It's a completely internalized mechanism of ordination, lacking any input from the congregation of the church. And stop trolling, nobody finds you the least bit amusing. If you're not a troll, nobody thinks you're intelligent either.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Quote by herby190
Just because you believe the Catholic church is the end-all right church

If by 'Catholic Church' you mean the Roman Catholic Church, then you are wrong and do not understand what I believe, meaning that the rest of your post is wrong as well.

Quote by Jackal58
Really? I was under the misimpression that those were the only ones that were true to
apostolic succession. Who are the others? Serious question. I enjoy learning.

There are plenty in the East, also a fair few Lutherans, maybe some Presbyterians, Methodists, and some minor churches.
Quote by Nosferatu Man
If by 'Catholic Church' you mean the Roman Catholic Church, then you are wrong and do not understand what I believe, meaning that the rest of your post is wrong as well.

There are plenty in the East, also a fair few Lutherans, maybe some Presbyterians, Methodists, and some minor churches.

No. He already mentioned Orthodox Christians, so that's moot. Presbyterians don't use apostolic succession, or even anything resembling it. The congregation democratically elects a minister from a poll of candidates provided by the board of deacons, who are elected church officials. I imagine Lutherans use a similar process.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Quote by Nosferatu Man

Eastern Orthodox Catholicism. I'd disagree on your inclusion of any Protestant denominations. They made a complete break from apostolic succession in the 1600s.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Das_Skittles
That's self-legitimizing, i.e., not legitimate at all. It's a completely internalized mechanism of ordination, lacking any input from the congregation of the church. And stop trolling, nobody finds you the least bit amusing. If you're not a troll, nobody thinks you're intelligent either.

That is because the congregation has traditionally played little part in ordination, it is one of the advantages of having the authority of a clergymen.

Even so, you cannot seriously believe that it is right that a non-church going atheist can be a minister because of some forms of the internet.
Just remember that "no" means "yes" and "yes" means "in the butt"
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Page 1 of 2