Page 1 of 2
Alright guys, clearly there's been a joke going around for ages now and apparently ive missed the memo. I'm a bassist, ive seen the spider amp a few times and ive never seen the marshall MG so forgive me. Im assuming the point of the joke and saying that the br00tal overdrive is...well, shitty? Ive plugged a guitar into the spider before, I mean whatever, it sounded alright? (like I said, im not a guitarist so excuse the ignorance).

But can someone clearly explain what exactly is so crappy about it? I dont want to be naive and seeing as I spend alot of time in the pit, I figure I get myself familiarized with the amps. So can somebody explain the joke? Also, potted plant and Peavy 5150? I know what the latter is, but potted plant?

TL;DR- Im a bassist who doesnt understand the spider/MG jokes and the potted plant joke, please explain so I can stop being ignorant.
pinga
I find spiders tones to be a bit tacky for my taste if you know what I mean. I rarely trust amps with an 'insane' setting
lol n00b!
Quote by Yakult
Shooting mice is the equivalent to smoking weed: it's fun and seemingly harmless, but before you know it, you're shooting smack into every vein and murdering children left right and center.

GeEbZ.
MG/spiders are just 'lame' and i dont mean that in a flame-y way, but that they just never produce the 'oomph' or sound you want, they always leave you lacking no matter how much gain or volume you add.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
I have two friends with the spider amps and they both think its okay but obviously they want an upgrade. So, in short, it just sucks ass and im assuming its pretty over priced because of the gimmicks they have?
pinga
It's a phenomenon called that bandwagon mentality.

Reality is, they're just practice amps, good for bedroom fooling around, and in general, crushing overdrive.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Quote by Cb4rabid
I have two friends with the spider amps and they both think its okay but obviously they want an upgrade. So, in short, it just sucks ass and im assuming its pretty over priced because of the gimmicks they have?

Exactly.
Quote by Carmel
Lucky I'm a girl and I don't give a damn.

Quote by darkwolf291

I've seen her kill a man with a spork and a rubber band
No one is safe from the wrath of Batgirl!
there was a thread about this and everyone pretty much just flamed the guy n said use the search bar n i still dont get why everyone hates them...theyre good for fooling around w/ effects n finding new sounds but if you already have a sound/want to tweak what you have theyre pointless :/ other than that i dont understand the hate
Quote by aig91
"It doesn't get much beter than that! Ok, maybe a free ibanez guitar and marshall half-stack in perfect condition would be better, but free pancakes comes right behind that"

Quote by neptune1988
"My tone should be like me........FAT! "
Quote by Dempsey68
MG/spiders are just 'lame' and i dont mean that in a flame-y way, but that they just never produce the 'oomph' or sound you want, they always leave you lacking no matter how much gain or volume you add.

Agreed. I owned an MG and it was pretty average.

They're not awful amps, it's just the "crushing overdrive" and "insane" settings are something to make fun of.

This is Larry The If you click him, he will give you magic powers.
srsly.

If you are not willing to die for the perfect s'more, Then you don't deserve a s'more at all.
I read on here one time that some guy said they werent even real amps, just like digital computerized sounds out of a speaker?
pinga
Quote by dhruvrajvanshi
what you actually need is a new amp.

No one has said that yet? Weird.
Quote by LesPaulGuy514
Spiders/MG sound fine until you hear what a nice amp sounds like. Then they suck.
Plus they just..... are missing something.

Also, not for sure on this, but I think this is where the potted plant thing started.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1416145&page=1&pp=20

I actually saw that thread as it came up, I didnt think much of the potted plant thing though, it just seemed so random.
pinga
Well, the NEW MG's are a big improvement, but still, both amps are poor, and are always sold to the young kids who want to be "TeH bR00t4Lz" with his amp that sounds super digital.

the MG joke is the "Crushing overdrive"
as for the potted plant..i'm actually not sure on that one.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
I heard the new Marshall MG 4s were quite good though.

edit: ninja'd!
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

I think the joke is that the guys at Guitar Center always try to sell kids the Spiders and the MGs but anyone who knows a thing or two about amps would stay the hell away from them.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
To be honest, I love the Spider tones.
But, they are too cheaply built.
They will fall apart before you get a chance to upgrade.

MC name = Bearrorism
Thanks for asking that question, TS.

I really wanted to get these jokes too...

Yes, I R N00B!!!
It's simple really, a vietnamese prostitute being raped sounds better than the spider 3.
So its safe to say the spider wont love me long time?

...or give me a $5 reach-around?
pinga
Quote by djentman
Why does nobody make fun of the Fender Frontman?

that amp sounds way worse than the Spider/MG

Because GC employees don't tell you how awesome the INSANE channel is or how CRUSHING the overdrive is for that amp.
Quote by LesPaulGuy514
Because GC employees don't tell you how awesome the INSANE channel is or how CRUSHING the overdrive is for that amp.

true true

Line 6 must pay GC a good amount

I was being pushed into buying the 15 watt after getting a setup(i was just trying out the new strings!)
I have a Spider IV (not a III), and it's not as bad as everyone made it out to be The insane setting is a bit ridiculous, so I never use it. It was good for the price I got it for, and appropriate for the setting I'm playing in now, nothing huge or elaborate. I don't really get all the hate, but I'm guessing it's mostly due to the III's supposedly shitty tone.
These amps don't sound BAD, necessarily, but young wannabe guitarists will buy them because they say "Marshall" on them and play talent shows with them cranked to shit and think they're rock gods. They're solid state amps meant for practice in your bedroom, and they serve that purpose fine.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Quote by Spoony_Bard
These amps don't sound BAD, necessarily, but young wannabe guitarists will buy them because they say "Marshall" on them and play talent shows with them cranked to shit and think they're rock gods. They're solid state amps meant for practice in your bedroom, and they serve that purpose fine.

+1

I was one of those noobs who bought it. Thought it sounded awesome. Then I realized how it actually sounded as a normal use amp.

I liked my spider jam till I returned it for a orange tiny terror a week later.

what a hollow sounding amp. ugh.
lesson learned.
If you're going to buy a marshall, make sure you have pedals unless you feel the need to use that "crushing overdrive" as Mr. Wylde so kindly put it.
Rojam's new and improved band!!!!

Listen a little bit, we DON'T suck!
Quote by LesPaulGuy514
I was one of those noobs who bought it. Thought it sounded awesome. Then I realized how it actually sounded as a normal use amp.

We all did at one point, my friend.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
If you play a tube amp, you will realise how "fake" MGs and Spiders sound, and you won't be able to go back to MG and Spider.

Anyways, you don't need shit solid states/digital amps for practice now that the Blackstar HT1/5 is out. 1 or 5 watt valve amp, its cheap, it sounds amazing. Great for practice.
Last edited by nargoth at Mar 21, 2011,
1. the price is not worth it, you can find better for the same price or maybe a little more.

2. The tones on the two amps are just not up to snuff. They sound too digital and lack dynamics and other things associated with tube amps that make people go scream "OH YEAH" like the koolaid guy.

Even for practice amps, the Spider and MG are just terrible amps. I mean yeah, they're okay do practice on, but you can still find better.
Alright, thanks for clearing that up. Because of the many jokes that use the spider, I told my friends who own the thing about it and they were a bit surprised. They said they like the thing, and its okay for what it does or whatever, but all of them agree that an upgrade would be better.

(none of them thought it was the most br00tal thing they had ever used, so its okay, they just couldnt afford a thousand dollar rig).
pinga
Page 1 of 2