When it comes to promoting a band that's not well known in the area, on let's say a college campus, if you saw a band's flyer, would you take the time to go see them? Or would there be more effective ways of advertising that gig?

About a week ago, a local band from back home that I really like decided to come to a college town for a gig (where I coincidentally live now) and they didn't really draw that much of a crowd. I blame this partially on the fact that they played at a bar where you had to be 21+ to get in. But also I felt had I done the band a favor and made a few flyers, they would've had more of an audience. So, I feel guilty. Next time they come into town, I was going to try to do a better job of promoting.

So I ask you, if you saw a flyer about an upcoming gig nearby during the weekend, would you go? Even if you've never heard of that band? Or do you think something else would work better to attract a crowd?

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.

-Sloppyjoe24
Last edited by sloppyjoe24 at Mar 21, 2011,
Would *you* go see a band you've never heard of just because you saw a flier that said, "Goblins of Rock... LIVE at Joe's Bar - March 25 @ 9:00 pm"?

Why or why not?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
If I saw a flyer that was well designed, was for a band that played music I liked, was at a venue that i could get into (not 21+) and I had nothing else going on that night then yes, I would go.

It's not just about having flyers or not having flyers
Quote by axemanchris
Would *you* go see a band you've never heard of just because you saw a flier that said, "Goblins of Rock... LIVE at Joe's Bar - March 25 @ 9:00 pm"?

Why or why not?

CT

You know, if it was in the area, and there wasn't to much of a cover charge, I might check it out.

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

-Sloppyjoe24
If I just saw the flyer probably not, unless they seem like just my style of music.

Try this:
Find out where the most human traffic is, like people leaving the main building when their classes end. Stand there with your bandmates and get in touch with the people. Talk to them, hand them your flyers, and some people will perhaps even have questions which you should answer and take the chance to talk a bit about yourself.
And even if people won't go to the show ask them why, perhaps they'll give you some constructive criticism on your flyer or whatever...

EXTRA SUPER BONUS HINT:
Someone should get an acoustic guitar strapped on and play some shit (try singing) while the other's are dealing out flyers. You can play your own songs or just play a few open chords and sing non-rhyming stuff like "Come and see our show...oh yeah...you know you want it...".

Oh, and dress nicely and smell good while doing that, like you're going on a date or shit.
Unless your some deathmetal band, that just wouldn't fit your image..

And if you decide to do that, please tell me how it work.
Me and my band are writing songs right now and will have to do some flyering aswell soon.

cheers!
Quote by JetPackBlues
was for a band that played music I liked,

And herein is the crux of the matter. How would you know the band played music you liked from just the flier?

Answer: You wouldn't. So... you wouldn't go.

I mean, even if you knew they were a rock band, or a funk-metal band, or what-have-you.... they still might not be music that you like.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Pro-Tip:

Rename your band "FREE BEER!".

Then put fliers around campus "FREE BEER! - 7 to 9 pm at the Uni Pub".
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
do what we do, put up flyers sure, but also put up YouTube vids of the music. i liked the idea of strumming around to drum up interest while handing them out. might try it soon.
Check out "thelastplaceyoulook" on YouTube, iTunes and [url="http://facebook.com/thelastplaceyoulook
"]Facebook
Quote by axemanchris
And herein is the crux of the matter. How would you know the band played music you liked from just the flier?

I mean, even if you knew they were a rock band, or a funk-metal band, or what-have-you.... they still might not be music that you like.

CT

I'd like to think that naming the genre would help narrow down the desired audience. Though they still might not like the band, it could still make for a fun night.

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

-Sloppyjoe24
Quote by sloppyjoe24
You know, if it was in the area, and there wasn't to much of a cover charge, I might check it out.

Of all the things to do on a Friday night... going to a movie, chasing girls at a bar, getting drunk at your friend's house, going out with your girlfriend, watching television, surfing UG .... you would actually go see this band? Really?! Why would you choose that over all your other options?

Here's how the phone call goes...

"Dude... let's go see the Goblins of Rock. They're playing at Joe's Bar tonight?"

"Erm... who?"

"Goblins of Rock. No cover."

"Goblins of Rock? Who are they?"

"I don't know. I thought it sounded like fun."

"Hmm... idunno.... how about maybe just coming over and watching movies or something?"

"I think I'm going to go see the band."

"Okay, then... have fun."

At that point, do you replay the same conversation with four other friends and wind up going to see the band by yourself, or do you suck it up and go with a different suggestion?

CT

Quote by 1500 meanstreak
do what we do, put up flyers sure, but also put up YouTube vids of the music. i liked the idea of strumming around to drum up interest while handing them out. might try it soon.

Now we're thinking. People need to know what they're getting into. They need some expectation that you're actually a good band that they will like. Identifying a genre still won't sell people.

To get people out, you have to give them a REASON to come out.

In my mind, the real value in postering is long term. One poster or flier won't do squat. One weekend won't do it either. But, over a period of six months or so, people keep seeing your name and begin to associate it with a sense of familiarity. Then you have name recognition.

"Oh, yeah.... Goblins of Rock. I always see their name around. They've played here and here and here and always seem to be up to something. They must be pretty good."

CT

Quote by axemanchris
Of all the things to do on a Friday night... going to a movie, chasing girls at a bar, getting drunk at your friend's house, going out with your girlfriend, watching television, surfing UG .... you would actually go see this band? Really?! Why would you choose that over all your other options?

Here's how the phone call goes...

"Dude... let's go see the Goblins of Rock. They're playing at Joe's Bar tonight?"

"Erm... who?"

"Goblins of Rock. No cover."

"Goblins of Rock? Who are they?"

"I don't know. I thought it sounded like fun."

"Hmm... idunno.... how about maybe just coming over and watching movies or something?"

"I think I'm going to go see the band."

"Okay, then... have fun."

At that point, do you replay the same conversation with four other friends and wind up going to see the band by yourself, or do you suck it up and go with a different suggestion?

CT

How about this, the band was playing at a bar, thus guys can chase after chicks there. If you have a girlfriend, then bring her to the gig. It's just as fun as an event like a movie.

Except if the movie sucks, you have to endure 2+ hours of it. If the band sucks, it's only usually an hour or an hour and a half. Plus, you can get food/drinks at the venue.

And who in God's name wants to spend a Friday on UG?

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

-Sloppyjoe24
Quote by sloppyjoe24
How about this, the band was playing at a bar, thus guys can chase after chicks there.

.... except because the band is virtually unknown, they are playing to an empty room. You and your friend and your girlfriend are three of only ten people there. Have fun chasing chicks.

Never mind the fact that guys go out to see rock bands. If chasing guys is your thing, then all the more power to ya, but at most live rock shows, chasing girls is pretty slim pickin's. You want to chase girls, you go to ladies night at the Electro-rama or whatever the hell.

Quote by sloppyjoe24

If you have a girlfriend, then bring her to the gig. It's just as fun as an event like a movie.

Maybe to you and me, but to most people... not so much. Especially if the band is unknown. For most people, it's the equivalent of....

"Here... try this!" *passes glass of unidentifiable liquid*

"Erm.... what is it?"

"I don't know. We should try it, though."

"Um.... WHY?"

"I think it will be fun. I like trying new things."

"Well, then you go ahead. After you've tried it, report back, and then we'll see."

Quote by sloppyjoe24

Except if the movie sucks, you have to endure 2+ hours of it. If the band sucks, it's only usually an hour or an hour and a half.

You're generous with your time. If I go to either and it sucks, I'll usually just leave. Mind you, I'm more likely to give a movie a chance to get better than a band.

Quote by sloppyjoe24

Plus, you can get food/drinks at the venue.

Yeah, okay.

Quote by sloppyjoe24

And who in God's name wants to spend a Friday on UG?

What'choo talkin' 'bout Willis? Doesn't *everybody* spend Friday nights on UG? Am I really the only one?

CT

See, the thing is... people go to see bands that they know, or at least have a reasonable expectation that they will be good. This generally means:

-they've heard them before (radio, YouTube, MySpace, whatever.)
-they've seen them before (got dragged out by a friend of the band at some point and realized they actually were pretty decent)
-they read an article about them or saw a TV slot on them and liked the way the band came across, or found the article interesting, etc.
- they connect your band with another band they like... they know that you've opened for them, or had a member from another band produce your album or play on a track, or whatever. (those hip-hop folks have that one nailed... everyone collabs with everyone else, so when Jay-Z appears on your rekkid, you've got instant cred.)

For most bands, this means dragging your friends out and getting them to bring their friends out. Eventually, they'll tell their friends and like your facebook page and share your YouTube video and more people will hear you and therefore have a reason to go see you, and they'll drag their friends, and so on. As you move from town to town, lather, rinse, and repeat.

An exception is if you are a cover band or a tribute band. You fly a sign out front that says "Zeppelin Tribute" and you can expect a reasonable crowd. Put up part of your set list for your cover band... "playing hits from Foo Fighters, Nirvana, Nine Inch Nails, and Alice in Chains" and you're probably going to be okay. But again... people know exactly what to expect.

Another consideration is genre. If you're doing doom metal, good luck drawing a crowd. If you're doing top-40... you'll have a larger group of people who will have an expectation that you'll be something they like.

CT

This is how a convo with my friends would go

"Hey man theres a band playing."

whats the cover charge?

"like 3 bucks or something"

what kinda stuff do they play?

"umm I dunno, hard to say, but they didn't appear to be blank-core."

sweet lets go.
no sir away a papaya war is on
I think it'd help to put a short description on the flyer. Maybe even a, "Look us up on facebook/myspace/youtube if you wanna check us out" would help people decide if they want to go or not.

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

-Sloppyjoe24
Quote by axemanchris

CT

This is why my bands go to a mall, college campus, busy intersection downtown, what ever; with an mp3 player and we would let people listen to us. We would ask them if they liked what they heard and give them a flyer to the show if they did.

Flyers for me, are reminders and nothing more. Nothing would ever make me go to a random show, just because I saw a flyer on the street. Especially from a local band I have NEVER heard of.

The reason what we did worked was because we are giving flyers to people that are most likely to come to see us play. If someone doesn't like your music and never will, why in the world would you waste a flyer on them? Make an impression on some people out on the street with your music, and then give them a flyer, and you might get a new attendee or fan.

I never understand why a nobody band would waste time and money putting out flyers on thousands of cars and telephone poles. Probably why so many fail
Last edited by scguitarking927 at Mar 21, 2011,
Quote by scguitarking927
This is why my bands go to a mall, college campus, busy intersection downtown, what ever; with an mp3 player and we would let people listen to us. We would ask them if they liked what they heard and give them a flyer to the show if they did.

Wait...isn't that idea from a Good Charlotte video?

Edit: Aha, found it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCh3CNXy47k&feature=related
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Cake did it first. Nonetheless... it is a smart idea because it addresses the reason why people don't go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5KmB8Laemg

Song kicks @ss btw...

CT

If the flyer was awesome I would!

Coincidentally i happen to be a graphic design student so should anybody need an awesome flyer I'm avaiable for cheap!
I think flyers work better for events over single gigs.
Like, if a venue is having a night full of one specific genre or something (rock nights happen at a few regular venues, some rockier places have punk nights, goth nights, etc etc) and someone who's into whatever's on that night (usually it'd be like a lineup of 5 bands) sees that flyer they might go to it.

But for just like one band's gig it's hard to use flyers to promote.
Definitely put up like a flyer or poster in the venue that the gig will be as well as in places where the demographic for that venue/band would tend to flock.
Other than that, use the internet (facebook, youtube, etc) and word of mouth to promote.

Just some suggestions.
I will put up a 3-4 flyers for any given show usually. One in each of the bathrooms of the bar im playing (everyone is going to the bathroom at some point in the night, and they are already there this weekend therefore it shouldn't be too hard to get them back for next weekend) and I might put a couple out elsewhere. The vast majority of my promoting comes from shaking hands, college radio, and facebook/myspace
Quote by AlanHB
Wait...isn't that idea from a Good Charlotte video?

Edit: Aha, found it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCh3CNXy47k&feature=related

Haha I've honestly never seen the video, but it works like a charm. i don't know about the costumes lol, but who knows, you might just get some funny looks being a nobody. But Get out there and meet people, guys! Face to Face, a good personable impression does more any day than a random event invite on facebook or friend request on myspace.

you get a chance to put a face to the music, and spin yourselves off as what ever you want.