Hello,everyboby!

As written in the title,I'm playing stoner rock and I would like to know what other effect pedals I need to obtain,in order to have this kind of tone.
Right now,I'm playing with a Hagstrom Super Swede (with neck pu, preferably) and the rest of the rig goes something like this:

Little Big Muff (tone 9 o'clock,sustain 11 o'clock) --> EP1 Pigtronix envelope phaser (with the speed VERY VERY slow) --> Morley power wah (usually not sweeping it, but keeping it steady around the middle) --> Behringer UT100 Tremolo.
The amp depends from the studio we rent (I always plug in the clean channel).
I also have a Behringer V-amp3 laying around (I don't seem to find any useage for it,though ).

What else do I need?
I think a delay would be usefull.(I'm between Digitech Digidelay,Boss DD6,Marshall Echohead,all used around 60&euro.
I'm also thinking of trading my little Big Muff with a BASS Big Muff to get a heavier tone.
Do I need distortion or overdrive pedals(something like Boss SD1,DS1,DS2,Metal Muff,MXR Distorion III,MXR GT-OD etc)?

Thanks,in advance and sorry for my crappy English(I'm Greek).
Lot's of pot and a Fuzz pedal.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
It actually looks like you have more effects then necessary.

Congratulations.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
I'd say put a voltage starve on the muff to give it a bit more sagginess for one and just a looser, long-hair tone.

I run a Boss ODB-3 after my muff. With the blend most of the way clean. Tightens up the sag and voltage loss from the starve and also gives a little more EQ options. Also I think it's Buzzo's choice.

I don't exactly play stoner rock, but I think that kind of tone would work for it.
Quote by kangaxxter
It actually looks like you have more effects then necessary.

Isn't a delay necessary?
If yes,then which of the 3 that I mentioned would suit better?

I run a Boss ODB-3 after my muff. With the blend most of the way clean. Tightens up the sag and voltage loss from the starve and also gives a little more EQ options

I thinking of doing almost the same thing,with the difference that I want to put the distiortion before the fuzz,with its gain almost zero and the volume way up(kind of boosting and tightening the fuzz).
Quote by hadgideus
Isn't a delay necessary?
If yes,then which of the 3 that I mentioned would suit better?

I'm sorry, I thought it said you had a delay.

Anyways, I've only had experience with a EHX Memory Toy and a Boss DD-3 and both of them are pretty good, so I'd imagine that the DD-6 would be as good or better than the DD-3 (I think the difference between the two is the 6 would be the deluxe version and the DD-3 is the basic version).

I've never even seen a Marshall Echohead before, so I wouldn't know about that one, but I've heard unflattering things about the quality of Digitech pedals, both distortion and modulation.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
What do you mean "need"? Working fingers, guitar, amp, some musical talent and skill are about all you "need". Everything else is just gravy. I don't think there is any preset magical formula for music. Just let it flow man!
I guess I'm gonna have to be the douche who says it but my suggestion is to buy your own amp and possibly a bass cab if you want to go with the stack
I only suggest the bass cab cause I know Josh Homme used ampeg bass cabs when he was in Kyuss if thats the kinda tone your going for
Fender American Special Telecaster
Blackstar HT-5
Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian
BBE Sonic Stomp
Mojo Hand FX Recoil Delay
Empress ParaEQ
Quote by Shayne777
I guess I'm gonna have to be the douche who says it but my suggestion is to buy your own amp and possibly a bass cab if you want to go with the stack
I only suggest the bass cab cause I know Josh Homme used ampeg bass cabs when he was in Kyuss if thats the kinda tone your going for

Unfortunately,this is not an option,since playing loud with an amp(or bass amp) at home is not possible.To tell you the truth,buying an amp isn't in my priorities,right now,since the studio we play covers my needs.

What do you mean "need"? Working fingers, guitar, amp, some musical talent and skill are about all you "need". Everything else is just gravy. I don't think there is any preset magical formula for music. Just let it flow man!

I'm not requesting for a magical formula. I just wanna know what else I need to add to my rig,in order to have a "full" sound.
At the same time,I'm working on my melodies and riffs,but this has nothing to do with my gear(when I practice,most of the times I'm playing straight to my 15w amp).
For fuzz, get a Russian Big Muff Pi, the ultimate stoner machine. The Bass Big Muff is a good alternative though, cause the russian ones are a bit hard to find. For delay, go for an analog delay. I like the MXR Carbon Copy, but other analog delays work well too. I find digital delays to sound too artificial, where the analog ones sound more organic.
Maximum Volume Yields Maximum Results
Quote by Shayne777

Yes. You won't find a particular "sound" if you're just running through random gear, especially if you want sludge. May I suggest a lower-end Orange (AD5 or Tiny Terror)?
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
Quote by sonic_777111
Yes. You won't find a particular "sound" if you're just running through random gear, especially if you want sludge. May I suggest a lower-end Orange (AD5 or Tiny Terror)?

I'm afraid that this is not an option,right now.Maybe,in the future..
Right now,the best I can do is expand my gear with a couple of Boss pedals(or anything in similar price...) and I'm just trying to find out,which of them suits me better.
Quote by HollishGuy
For fuzz, get a Russian Big Muff Pi, the ultimate stoner machine. The Bass Big Muff is a good alternative though, cause the russian ones are a bit hard to find.

Would you recommend the EHX Germanium 4 Big Muff over the Russian Big Muff or the Bass Big Muff?
Last edited by hadgideus at Mar 30, 2011,
After having a few different ones, I settled on the original DanEcho (not the itty bitty plastic ones)- got some cool analog sounding roll off in the highs plus it's ultra quiet and easy to adjust
Last edited by 57tvjr at Mar 31, 2011,