I have a JCM 2000 100 watt head and both the 1960 cabs. I have recently started recording with theJCM and the 1960A cab. I have a Shure SM57 and was wondering what the best way torecord my amp would be. I'm recording through Garageband and so far my rythym guitarist's peavey has a better tone than my cranked marshall. Any and all tips would be greatly appreciated!
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier HD Multi-Watt
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100MLB
1960 A&B cabs
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Schecter C1+ (modded)
LTD EC-1000vb
Blueridge 160 CE
BOSS | TU-3 | DD-7
Line 6 G-50 wireless
What do you not like about the JCM's tone and what DO you like about the Peavey?

To be honest though, I couldn't even make my roommates 2000 sound good....
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
How were you setting up the mic when you tried to record it?

The closer and more "on-axis" you place the sm57 the sharper and more clear your tone will be.

If you want a less sharp tone, try bringing the mic back further and pointing it off axis from one of the speaker cones.

Ideally you'd want at least 2 mics, the sm57 works great 1/2 to 2 ft away slightly off axis to give some clarity, and then a different mic maybe 3/4 to double the distance to give a "big" sound.
What would be a good coherent mic for tht big sound?
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier HD Multi-Watt
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100MLB
1960 A&B cabs
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Schecter C1+ (modded)
LTD EC-1000vb
Blueridge 160 CE
BOSS | TU-3 | DD-7
Line 6 G-50 wireless
Since the SM57 is intended to give clarity, it would be nice to use a mic that has less of a focus on your upper mids and highs. Some people might disagree with this, but that's just my personal preference. I also prefer something that's less cardioid than the SM57.

Ultimately, it's really a matter of personal taste. Try out a lot of mics (if you can return them) and see what you like.