strangely, i can't find a single definition on the web about it so what is fret binding?someone here talk about epiphone and fret binding and i don't don't know what the heck it is.
it's where you bind your frets
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss230/hdbovdoom/bound.jpg

The white stripping going around the side of the neck, instead of the usual bare wood.

You sure as hell can't google if you couldn't find any info on the web, cuz that's where I found the pic.
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
I believe its when the neck binding is shaped to the fret ends. Gibson does it on some of their necks. If you look at the neck binding from the side the binding will have a saw like pattern. It makes re-freting a pain in the butt.

The white stuff,

Its just to look pretty.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
ok some guitar do not have them. is it a good thing to have fret binding or not?does it make any difference?
it's only for looks.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
not by a long shot.
ಠ_ಠ

It's only for looks.

A long time ago, binding was used to hide and reinforce seams of where two pieces of wood met, notably the top of a classical guitar and the sides of it. Binding is not just a careful paint job, it's actually pieces of wood, bone, laminate, shell or plastic that has been inserted around the edge of a guitar, be it the body, fretboard or sound holes.

Historically, it was mostly used on the bodies on Spanish Guitars, because it was a big thing to hide the seams on an instrument back then (like 1700s), so it was also used to hide the seam between the fretboard wood and the neck wood, and to match the body binding.

However, it was also very expensive to do back then, taking almost as much effort as actually crafting the neck and body of the guitar. But, around the 1950's, many companies stopped doing it to keep costs down and because it looked "old-fashioned".

Now, binding is just to look good, and it has never played any real effect on solid body electrics. Binding is frequently seen on "high-end" instruments, though there's no real reason why, but I believe that it's probably a hold-over from the days when it was very expensive to do.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
It does serve one semi-reason. It's easier to get smooth feel of the frets when the ends are covered. When they're not bound, there are more places for un-eveness that you can feel when you play.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Usually a white plastic strip that goes around the edge of the neck and entire guitar.
To stop dings and nicks etc.
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3
Quote by Nimbus456
Usually a white plastic strip that goes around the edge of the neck and entire guitar.
To stop dings and nicks etc.

I'd never thought of that, but it makes a lot of sense too.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
It does look cool, I suppose it COULD prevent some dings, but to put this to rest.

It is just the binding around the frets, no it is not NEEDED, It just looks cool. end of.
ಠ_ಠ

Other than back in the day where they covered up seams in the neck, it's not really relevant today other than for looks and such. For example, my 200 dollar RG120 has no binding at all. Just the rosewood fretboard on the maple neck and you can see the fret joints. My 300 dollar RG2EX1 has fret binding that is simply white paint which helps to make it look a little nicer and cover up the seams. On the extreme, my much more expensive S2170FB Prestige has a maple binding which accomplishes the same thing as the RG2EX1 but looks much nicer and is an actual piece of maple rather than just paint. Also, as others have said, with a really well finished wood binding like that of my Prestige, it can effect the feel while playing. I noticed that sometimes it feels smoother on my Prestige than my other RG's and it makes the feel much smoother. You can, while very subtle, feel a difference while playing with a good binding, for me at least.
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
generally, aside from looks, it requires a better fret job because th frets need to be cut and shaped more whn they are bound. also, sincde the fret end exteds over teh binding, it must be also shaped and sanded, insuring there are no sharp ends (if done right)

downside, it makes a refret job about 100 or so more dollars for the extra effort.

however, if any fret job is done right, they will all feel good and binding is just for looks. on my epi les custom the fret job is actually pretty good, and with the binding there are no sharp edges. with other epis, if you run your hand down em, you can feel edges.

so, in a way, i really like binding i the case of my epiphone. definitely inproves feel. if i were tobuy a quality guitar where i know frets would be done skillfully, i would prefer unbound because whn i needed a refret job (or did it myself) it would be cheaper or far less effort.....assuming i keep the guitar long enough to do that.
I prefer neck binding. it somehow make it look like i have more room on the neck??
my neck preference
1.ebony with binding
2.rose wood with binding
my least favorite is maple.