I know there is no substitute for a cranked Marshall, but I need a pedal that can get close. I recently got a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, great for blues (NO DUH!) but anyways my new band is influenced by Sabbath, Aerosmith, Rush, GNR, etc...
Anyways, I'm looking for a pedal that can do something similiar to Slash, or something crunchy, just an example. I've looked at Lovepedal Super Lead and Fulltone OC, but no idea what to expect. Any ideas, feedback, suggestions, would be greatly appreciated. I also have heard Tech 21 has nice stuff. Thanks a bunch!

Not a budget yet, less than $200 USD
The MI Audio Crunch Box is supposed to sound very marshally....
I make band posters!

Epiphone Special II, Squier Classic Vibe Tele-->
Toyroom Effects Louder-->
Boss SD-1, DD-3, RV-5-->
Line 6 DL4-->
Vox AC15c1
The Radial London Bones is supposed to as well.
Kodiak bears make awesome bandmates.

Quote by wolvenrick
no seriously 7x NGD is epicness i declare you the winner of all NGD's on UG never have i seen this xD
Wampler Plextortion
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
The pedal I've most heard for the "Marshall-in-a-box" sound is a Z.Vex Box of Rock. That new Boss Power Stack thing is supposed to get pretty close as well.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
The Rothwell pedals are some nice Marshall in a Box's. The Hellbender is essentially a Plexi in a box.
Quote by sonic_777111
The pedal I've most heard for the "Marshall-in-a-box" sound is a Z.Vex Box of Rock. That new Boss Power Stack thing is supposed to get pretty close as well.

The ZVex Box Of Rock is supposed to "emulate" a JTM45.
I have the The ZVex. I think it sounds good. I run it through a Vox AC30.
I Wonder what the Box Of Rock sounds like through a JTM45?

I don't have a JTM45 so I can't do a side-by-side comparison though.

The Boss Power Stack look intriguing though.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Mar 22, 2011,
Quote by TrueBlues
Marshall Guv'nor. Either the original one or the new one.

This. I dunno why it took so long for someone to mention it.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
^ Because people tend to be snobby with gear? They aren't true bypass and cost less than a hundred quid. But they are actually good pedals.
wampler plextortion definately
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
And people who fret over true bypass vs non true bypass wonder why their tone is still affected when they chain together 7 or 8 true bypass pedals.

It's not like pedal companies got together and said "hey, let's buffer the input of all our pedals for shits and giggles."
Quote by WtrPlyr
^I'd rather have my pedals true bypass and choose my own buffer instead of being forced to use a buffer by a company.

Then buy one pedal with a buffer and leave the rest true bypass.
Yeah, there is so much shit about true bypass these days. With the transparency of most buffers today, it really isn't the first thing to look for in a pedal.
It's also intersting to see that the most expensive boutique pedals (Pete Cornish) don't use true bypass.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Or buy true bypass pedals and buy/build a buffer of my choice, like I said

Have at it, homie.
I'd probably look for a different amp. Running an amp clean and putting a 'Marshally' pedal in the front end will do you no favours. I know a player who runs a hotrod deluxe with a Marshall Guvnor and a ts9 who has the most awful tone.
You want your amp crunchy in the first place to get that sort of sound. As in a little power amp breakup. Then boost it.

Maybe find someone with a Traynor who'll swap? The Hotrod deluxe just doesn't have that voicing. A Fender 'Twin amp' has a great crunch sound. Very big.

I understand you don't wanna hear this, but you won't get the sound you want with pedals in the front end. Not convincingly anyway.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by TrueBlues
Marshall Guv'nor. Either the original one or the new one.

Just got an MK I...

Quote by ConfederateAxe
This. I dunno why it took so long for someone to mention it.

I would have but...

Quote by jimbob78
I'd probably look for a different amp. Running an amp clean and putting a 'Marshally' pedal in the front end will do you no favours... You want your amp crunchy in the first place to get that sort of sound. As in a little power amp breakup. Then boost it.

True, but then again, not everyone can crank the amp until power tube break up.

Quote by jimbob78
The Hotrod deluxe just doesn't have that voicing.

I would agree with this. Not to mention that speaker choice also makes a difference.

Quote by jimbob78
I understand you don't wanna hear this, but you won't get the sound you want with pedals in the front end. Not convincingly anyway.

Hence a Marshall Guv'nor MK I into a Sovtek Mig 50- a variant of the JTM45 / 59 Bassman circuit.

I am close but it is not ever going to be exactly it.
I agree with those that mentioned wampler pedals. althought those might be out of your budget, check though
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by WtrPlyr
Catalinbread DLS

+3 i think now.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I just swapped out the speaker in my HRD for for a Jensen Neo. HUGE IMPROVEMENT. It was also eqed differently by my amp tech to sound a little more like a tweed in contrast to my Twin that is a blackface (modded to blackface specks). I would use look for a BFM Great Wide Open, Lovepedal Purple Plexi, or the Rothwell Hellbender. I have found those to get me some nice Marshall like tones. I have never been a fan of the Catalinbread DLS, but just see if you can try it out first.
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

Well, I've played on the Guv'Nor by Marshall and decided to buy the Marshall Jackhammer... It is a lot heavier than the Guv'Nor and you can get a incredible sound.

In my humble opinion, the Jackhammer (JH-1) is the best distortion pedal ever made. Fulltone OCD comes right after.
Gibson Les Paul Standard

Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier
Custom WG Cab with 2x12 Eminence Swamp Thang

Line 6 POD HD500