I really enjoyed listening to this. I love the funky but smooth sound it has. The vocals sound great and fit well with the song. The mixing and sound quality sound professional. I'll have to check out some of your other stuff. Great song!

I can't quit listening to this! I could definitely listen to an album with a similar style.

Oh, and here's my song if you want to give it a listen.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1410420
Last edited by gwakdito at Mar 23, 2011,
I like the bass in the beginning, has an awesome upright jazz bass sound, the beat comes in nice. The vocals sound tight, what kind of mic/preamp are you using? I like the touches of synth horns and the guitar (wah? sounds funky as hell). The production overall is nice, I'd only change the mix slightly where the horn is. I like the 'symmetry' of the song, it seems to begin and end in similar ways (first you built up layers, then you dropped it back down to just the keys).

I def could blaze to this song, good job

Crit mine?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1424185
I like the echoed keys in the beginning, the bass also feels nice the rap or what it is in the beginning in the vocal arrangement is a little too much too. I like the funky guitar, the vocals are nice but a little to "raw" would like them to sit better in the mix. I dont really like the brass instrument whatever it is, it's really nice melodies, but its a little too sharp and sit on top of the mix. Great production overall, and really well played, work on the mix a little and it will be great!

C4C?https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1421060
gwakdito - Thank you very much I'm trying to go in this combination of rock/funk/trip-hop

elementwood89 - Thank you Thank you I'm using a m-audio fastrack and a Shure SM58

ErikES - Thx man this was just mixed with headphones because its the first demo for songs that will be on my next LP

Keep em coming love hearing from people and getting this out there. Much Love!
This is awesome! really having fun listening to it.
the sound is awesome, everything sounds awesome. love the trumpets in the middle.
i'de volume-down the vocals a bit tho, a bit too loud i think.
the vocals, by the way, are awesome! well done.
i would totally like to listen to a full album like this song.

c4c plz? http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_7856137
Quote by semus
This is awesome! really having fun listening to it.
the sound is awesome, everything sounds awesome. love the trumpets in the middle.
i'de volume-down the vocals a bit tho, a bit too loud i think.
the vocals, by the way, are awesome! well done.
i would totally like to listen to a full album like this song.

c4c plz?

Thank you semus I'm really glad you and other people are enjoying this and I will definitely send you the link for the LP once it is done I am shooting for a may 1st release date.

Where should I leave your crit do you have a thread or should I just pm you?
This is a fun song. I really like how you kept the song interesting by keeping some sort of melody. I would say the voice sounds a little far in the mix. Maybe slightly to much reverb? I could be wrong. The guitar is nice and funky I would have loved to hear a solo in there! Great job man keep it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAHellraiser
Go into Guitar Center and tell them you are willing to spend $3000 on as many Spider and MG half stacks as they can give you.
Interesting. Sounds like a mix between Gorillaz (late ones) and maybe Black Keys, which works out perfectly. Really good mix, I like the vocals. Really nothing wrong with it Something i see myself enjoying listening while in the lounge bar!

Good job!
Quote by SuperSlonik
Interesting. Sounds like a mix between Gorillaz (late ones) and maybe Black Keys, which works out perfectly. Really good mix, I like the vocals. Really nothing wrong with it Something i see myself enjoying listening while in the lounge bar!

Good job!

The Black Keys reference is good.

I love your voice and the song is very well thought out in terms of ups and downs (loud/fast sections versus quiet sections and stuff). How did you record this?

Have a listen to my song if you like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq4BRRgOrIw
I love that funk is still alive today. You did quite well.

This isn't me, but it's my sister's boyfriend's band called Andre And The Giants. They are quite good and incorporate a rock/funk/blues feel to their material. Just click the link in my sig.

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.

-Sloppyjoe24
KevinFreund - The "mix" for this is only for demo purpose to gather some reaction if I should demo a whole LP out of this "style" The vocal will actually be different when they get released with the addition of a chorus. And maybe even a solo in there! haha

SuperSlonik - I really love the gorillaz! demon days and daft punks discovery were my first two cd's I bought(remember early 2000s hahaha) I dont really hear the black keys thing because I find myself taking alot of inspiration from three people 1. robert plant 2. Marc bolan 3. David Bowie

Take another listen and let me know if hear me knicking their cadence or phrasing.

Icarus Lives - Another one with the black keys thing!!! haha well thank you I'm very glad you like my voice I've been singing for about 3 years and I finally find myself comfortable enough to say I sound like myself. The structure is very similiar to "dance" music that you might hear in a club I just replaced the synth with guitar and piano which I played and then resampled and editted not to mention adding tons of percussion.

I am recording on a cheap 15'' toshiba laptop through a m-audio fast track into Ableton Live 8 and for vocals I use a Shure SM58 all of my mixing is currently done on some gaming headphones I had laying around.

sloppyjoe24 - You know we havnt heard alot of different sounding "funk" these days so I'm glad you enjoy my white boy style hip hop rock funk! I actually dig your sisters bf's band If I were from your area I'd be at the shows no doubt.

And finally thank you all for having a listen and providing me with links to listen to you or your friends music! Keep em coming

If you guys are interested I would suggest checking more of my music out at my website : www.johndavidambrose.com

Much love!