Page 1 of 2
A question for both genders. Guys, do you feel the need to go all out and spend thousands on an engagement ring to please the girl? Ladies, does the ring or amount spend actually increase how much love you feel for your man? do you care about size of the ring?
I don't think size is an issue, as long as it fits your finger, right? But my gf doesn't think so. The other day, I bought this ring for her. Who knows, she said it not big enough. And she even implied the size is sort of matters.. If I don't get a good ring- then what does that say for the rest of the relationship or marriage... It predicts bad things! I'm so confused now. So, what's your opinion?
Tell her it's not how big or expensive it is, it's how you use it.

kill her

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
As a guy, my hope is she would be more excited about our marriage than how big the ring was. At the same time, I'd still like to buy her a nice ring.
It's relative to your situation. If you don't have a lot of money, a half decent ring would be good. If you have a lot of money, a cheap ring would be half assing it.

If someone spends hundreds of dollars on your for a damn ring, you shouldn't bitch about it. Ever. A good girl will take what she gets and be happy if a genuine effort was put forth.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
it is about as important as the color of toilet paper you use.
i would instantly dump any woman. who said something as shallow and vapid as your girlfriend said.
dump her , finish college, buy a car ,house. think about marriage after you are in your mid 30's to early 40's
There are three rings to marriage, The Engagement Ring, The Wedding Ring, and The Suffering. - Forgot who and where I got this from
No gods or kings. There is only zuul.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now police, fire, and EMS vehicle's sirens sound in tritones. Suck it Christians, your protectors are satans minions.

I have been sigged by UG's Greek, what have YOU done today?
How old are you/is she? If you're getting engaged to be married, it should be enough that you've picked out a nice ring for her (past one of those plastic ones you get out of the dispensers in department stores) because it really only serves as a symbol of your bonding. If she just wants a massive stone she can flaunt in front of her lady friends, she's getting engaged/married for all the wrong reasons, and that shouldn't be your problem. I'd begin to question whether I really want to spend the rest of my life with a woman like that, if I was in your shoes.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I furiously masturbate on public transportation.
Based on what she said about the ring not being good enough, she sounds like a right bitch... as far as I'm aware, I'd just say the wedding ring has to improve upon the engagement ring - short of that it should just be something that you think she'd like, and looks classy as opposed to tacky, and isn't out of a catalogue/cheap pawnbroker junk.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
tell your girlfriend to pack her shit and get the fuck out
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
I think it depends on if she likes diamonds. Coincidentally, all the women I've asked this don't really care for diamonds (girlfriend included) so I guess I'm in the clear.

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.

-Sloppyjoe24
Quote by Xiaoxi
Tell her it's not how big or expensive it is, it's how you use it.

kill her

This. Back on topic, I know some "experts" say the cost of the ring should be about 2 months worth of pay. I think if a girl truly loves you, and wants to say yes, it could be a ring out of a box of cracker jacks. marriage isn't about the ring, it's about the people in it.
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
TS, just be rich and idiotlike. It makes life better.
Super
Old
Cats
Are
Surprising

Many profile views... few friends...
Get her a moissanite for judging your selection.

Also you don't show her the ring online... you just get it, get on one knee and propose to the ungrateful wench.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Trust me. The cost of the ring is not proportionate to the quality or length of the marriage.
I'm a guy, and I'd like to get her something nice, because I would really want to treat her the best I can. Of course this is to the best of my ability, which really depends on my financial situation.

Holy shit, if I spend 700 and something bucks on a ring, and she flat out said she didn't like it, I'd question why I even considered proposing in the first place. If she thinks how much money and size matters (unless it doesn't fit at all), than I DO think that relationship is doomed if she's expecting high-quality things, and not meaningful things.

The ring is nothing, simply a symbol of the bond between two people. The bond determines how meaningful the ring is, the ring doesn't determine how strong the bond is.
Size/Cost should not matter at all
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Silverburst (Invader/'59)
-Ovation ApplauseAE44II Elite Black Acoustic

Amps/Cabs
-Peavey 6505+ Head
Orange PPC2x12 Cab Black
-Behringer Ultracoustic ACX450 1x8 Acoustic Combo

Wayyyyy too many effects pedals...
If I bought my girlfriend anything and she didn't like it, I'd be OK with it. Chances are because when I do get another one, she won't be stuck up and ask for an even larger gift. Although it sounds stupid when you're referring to shirts or something...

Oh hey, bought you this shirt, hope you enjoy it!

What do you mean it's too small? Absolute gold digger. I need time to think.
Your girlfriend seems pretty ungrateful. However, I once heard about the three month rule that some girls probably abide by...
I pride myself on my humility.
If it costs more than your guitar, you're good to go.
Quote by mikeyknowsbette
i can make a lolstack!

The only measure of ring success is how much the girl likes it. It has nothing to do with the price tag. The engagement ring I bought my wife wasn't all that expensive, but it was perfect for her. There are many ring that cost three or four times as much with which she wouldn't have been nearly as happy.

All that said, TS, if the size of the ring is a deal-breaker for a woman who supposedly wants to spend the rest of her life with you, then perhaps it's not time to be buying her a ring yet at all.
Death to Ovation haters!
Wow, rings are symbols of love, not of status.

I'd be downright pissed if I were you.
Battling FC: 0259 8373 3725
it depends really.

I think it should be the best you can afford. So in your case you spent $700 on the ring, if you earn more than that a week that's not saying a lot about how much you care about her. I mean your TV probably cost more than that.

Its more about acknowledging that its important to her and sacrificing what you can for her. Obviously you don't have to bend over every time but an engagement ring whether you like it or not is one place where (right or not) you're expected to be splashing the cash.

moral of the story: if it took you ages to save up enough for that ring and she's still not impressed well she's being a bitch. If you bought that thing outta pocket change and figured "meh, that'll be good enough" then I'm on her side.
It wasn't an engagement ring but I got my ex a ring. It was on $70 but it fit her perfectly. One of ex's/friends got his girlfriend like a $1,000 ring and they broke up way faster than we did. My ex absolutely loved her ring and that's all that counts. It made me happy to see her wear it with pride.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
The general rule that I abided by when I got married was 3 months pay I actually went a little higher but only because the Jeweler was willing to finance the difference.

To be honest I looked at it and I showed my wife the picture of the ring as well we both think it's pretty nice. 700 dollars is on the low end of the diamond engagement ring spectrum however if that is what you can affOrd it's what you can afford. Having looked at rings in the past though that is nice for 700 and seems like you put a good amount of thought into it.

I would definately be questioning your girlfriends intentions with that. However that being said I am gonna say this if you have a wall full of 2000 dollar guitars and a 67 inch tv you might want to do a little better.
see, what you do, is borrow another girls ring that is just ****ing massive.. when you whip out the small ring and she's happy.. then the girl is golden.

If she just gets all shitty on you after seeing the small ring, then show her that she would have got the big ring if she was capable of gratitude and then dump her shitty ass.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
My parents never wear their engagement rings.
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
Quote by Kivarenn82
see, what you do, is borrow another girls ring that is just ****ing massive.. when you whip out the small ring and she's happy.. then the girl is golden.

If she just gets all shitty on you after seeing the small ring, then show her that she would have got the big ring if she was capable of gratitude and then dump her shitty ass.

unfortunately, rings and what not are srs bsns for women. but what you bought looks really nice, especially for the price. who cares how much it cost? you need that ungrateful twat to get over herself and love you for who you are, not how much youre worth. you also need her to make you a sandwich.
If you're proposing to a girl who cares more about the size of the ring than the sentiment it embodies... well good luck with that relationship because I wouldn't want to be in it.

Edit: Join date: March 11, Link to some sort of product in the OP... i smell advertising.
Last edited by Lateralus13 at Mar 22, 2011,
Quote by Dangertux
The general rule that I abided by when I got married was 3 months pay I actually went a little higher but only because the Jeweler was willing to finance the difference.

the 3 month thing is a bunch of crap created by DeBeers to make more money off their diamonds. The diamond industry created it to make more money. That's actually where it came from.

3 month's salary salary is ridiculous. I make 15 grand a year, that would mean I'd need to spend $3800 on a ring. I could go to Europe for two weeks with that money

Someone making a modest income of 60k would have to spend $15000.

An engineer making 100k a year would spend $25000

Sorry, I don't mean to pick a fight... I've just always found the 3 month rule to be such a sad example of rampant consumerism.
Quote by Spartan101400
Very important, the most important thing ever.

So, it's my fault??
To me the size wouldn't matter. As long as the love is there then there wouldn't be use for such a gaudy ring. That's my opinion though and some girls just want rocks the size of boulders but they also have to think what's reasonable.
STಠ_ಠ
I'll get my girlfriend a nice one. If it doesn't at least cost more than my amp, she has every right to be pissed.

Seriously, you need to leave her.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Last edited by Jack Off Jill at Mar 22, 2011,
If it means anything, My wifes engagement ring was 100$ and her wedding one was $300. They're "modest" enough that she can wear both at the same time.

My wedding ring is a $100 stainless steel band.

We're both happy with what we got..

Hell, I'd be happy if she happened to machine the steel herself from from a piece of 10$ roundstock.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by Kivarenn82
If it means anything, My wifes engagement ring was 100$ and her wedding one was $300. They're "modest" enough that she can wear both at the same time.

My wedding ring is a $100 stainless steel band.

We're both happy with what we got..

Hell, I'd be happy if she happened to machine the steel herself from from a piece of 10$ roundstock.

It's going to come up in the divorce hearing.

...I'm just joking, bro. Don't be so uptight.

I think as a source of pride, I'd have to pay more than I did for my guitar or amp or whatever. I'd feel bad if I didn't. As DD mentioned, I think it should be what you can afford. Unless your girlfriend doesn't care. Then to hell with it.

But seriously, all this is going to mean to TS is that your wife is less of a bitch than his girlfriend.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by Luncbox1
the 3 month thing is a bunch of crap created by DeBeers to make more money off their diamonds. The diamond industry created it to make more money. That's actually where it came from.

3 month's salary salary is ridiculous. I make 15 grand a year, that would mean I'd need to spend $3800 on a ring. I could go to Europe for two weeks with that money

Someone making a modest income of 60k would have to spend $15000.

An engineer making 100k a year would spend $25000

Sorry, I don't mean to pick a fight... I've just always found the 3 month rule to be such a sad example of rampant consumerism.

If I wasn't in a situation where I had the disposable income at the time to justify it believe me. I would not have gone for that either.

I realize it's entirely consumerist marketing. Unfortunately women as a group tend to be the target audience for most of this style of marketing. So if you want to marry one you will likely get screwed in that department lol.

Also for the TS (something I learned from experience). Avoid big box jewelery stores tend to be highly overpriced for the quality you get.

There are several sites out there, blue nile, comes to mind that offer higher grade diamonds at more competitive prices. The settings they offer also tend to be more highly customized. They cut overhead costs by eliminating the commissions based sales of a jewelery dealer. The downside, it comes in the mail and you don't see it before you get it.

EDIT: Also learn about cut clarity and inperfections in diamonds. A smaller more "brilliant" diamond may please more then a larger more imperfect diamond. IF she solely wants it for size. I would worry.
Last edited by Dangertux at Mar 22, 2011,
TS you spend $700US on a ring and she didn't like it? You need to ask her whether she loves you or money more.

Normally girls say they don't care about money, but when the time comes, they'll want the most expensive ring you could never afford.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
Page 1 of 2