Hey guys, not sure if you get these types of questions alot but i was wondering if anyone knows any places/ways (online preferably) to easily catch up on the music theory required to write decent songs. Most of what i play/write is melodic death metal. I can write pretty average riffs but i find it hard when i go to write a song to write another riff that seems to fit in properly with the other one and so on. I'm in my last year of high school and just started music class again last year after learning guitar on my own throughout high school so i missed out on a lot of the simple theory stuff that you learn at the start - mostly scales and key signatures and chords that work together. Thanks in advance!
Hate to be that guy but knowing theory isnt neccessarily gonna make you a good song writer. my suggestion would be analyze songs you already know and find parallels between them. Heres one suggestion that works especially for melodic metal.

Write 2nd 3rd guitar parts in minor 3rd harmonies. Try writing one riff in a key lets say E then the same riff but starting on the note G then the same riff on the note B . Examples of a minor third harmony (not nec. the 5th(B). try "NAtional Acrobat" Sabbath and The Trooper by maiden. but i think maiden did minor 3rd and P4th.

Try starting with that but that ive learned through anazlying. theory just makes it easier to categorize
Quote by aaronaa2005
Hey guys, not sure if you get these types of questions alot but i was wondering if anyone knows any places/ways (online preferably) to easily catch up on the music theory required to write decent songs. Most of what i play/write is melodic death metal. I can write pretty average riffs but i find it hard when i go to write a song to write another riff that seems to fit in properly with the other one and so on. I'm in my last year of high school and just started music class again last year after learning guitar on my own throughout high school so i missed out on a lot of the simple theory stuff that you learn at the start - mostly scales and key signatures and chords that work together. Thanks in advance!

We teach these things online. If you have any questions, let me know, the link in in my sig. It does cost. I disagree that theory can't make you a better songwriter, as it has been put in this context, as it seems to dissuade the OP.

I think understanding of the big picture helps us with everything, including presenting us with options that we might not find or understand by ourselves. I think while theory can't make you a good songwriter, theory can help, and theory is good for everything.

Its much better to know what options are on the table than to be limited and flying blind.

By the way, if costs are out of the question, and you are limited to free, self study I'd recommend Mike Dodge's website.

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Mar 22, 2011,