Hey guys, new member here. I've been looking at building my first guitar rig. I'm in a hardcore/metalcore band (myspace.com/allthingsshine). I'm currently the lead vocalist, but may be jumping on guitar soon.
Anyway, I'm looking at the Peavey 6505 112 combo tube amp and the egnater tweaker 112 combo tube amp. Our other guitar player plays out of a Peavey 6505 combo, and it's been great for him and we all really agree with the tone he gets out of it. But I don't really want to get a matching amp, hence the Egnater. However, the Egnater only pushes 15 watts, while the Peavey puts out 60 watts. They're both tube so is this a problem? What do you guys think? Or do you have any other suggestions?
Mainly I want a reasonably-priced tube combo amp with nice cleans so I can run my rig with a distortion pedal.

Thanks for the help!
the probalem with the egnater is the distortion probably won't cut it for metal stuff. the 6505 will no problem.

i saw you want to just use your distortion pedal, but you have to decide whether your distortion pedal or the 6505 distortion sounds better. i'd say 9 times out of 10 the 6505 will win.

and don't worry about matching amps. tons and tons and tons of bands in your genre use 6505s. sometimes you'll see one band running 3 or 4 of them. no one cares if you guys use the same amps or not. they are pretty much guaranteed to sound great for your genre, and that should be the main concern.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Thanks for the help gquady09. And really, thanks for your help Inanez, that's what I wanted to know. Will the 15 watts on the egnater be able to cut through on stage if I decide to go with it?
If you're not mic'd up, and considering your genre, no, 15W will not be enough.

You should listen to InanezGuitars44 though; the Egnater really isn't a good choice for your genre. If you really want something different, try a Peavey XXX/Ultra or one of it's variants. There's also the Bugera 333.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by gquady09
Vs. Threads aren't allowed.

this isn't the kind of versus thread that isn't allowed. he is weighing 2 options and wants to know which is best. that is perfectly acceptable. back in the day people used to post stupid threads such as "ac/dc vs. led zeppelin" or "fender vs. gibson" and...yeah it was really stupid.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
this isn't the kind of versus thread that isn't allowed. he is weighing 2 options and wants to know which is best. that is perfectly acceptable. back in the day people used to post stupid threads such as "ac/dc vs. led zeppelin" or "fender vs. gibson" and...yeah it was really stupid.

This is correct. It was really bad a while back ago

On topic, I have the 6505 112 and I couldn't be happier. It's a great amp that will work perfectly for what you want to do. I've also noticed that people without a musical background prefer to see matching amps on stage, it gives a uniformity of the band and people like that.

EDIT: It's a subconscious thing, if you look like you're a band and not just random people on stage playing music a crowd will respond to you better. I'm not saying that having different rigs is bad, far from it (my band uses different rigs), it's just a slight advantage to take into account.
I AM MASTER OF JIGGLYPUFF.

Current Gear:
Gibson Boneyard with Bigsby
Gibson 93' Explorer W/Nailbombs
G&L 93' Legacy W/Noiseless
Gibson 95' Doublecut W/Angus Bridge

Mesa Stiletto Trident
Bogner Shiva
Mesa 2x12 & 4x12 Cabs
Last edited by Butthead at Mar 22, 2011,
this is pretty much a no brainer, egnater tweaker isn't a good choice for metal/metalcore/anything like that.

Even with a pedal, I have yet to see a distortion pedal that will do metal better than a 6505. Theres a reason they are like the default amp for metalcore.
Guitars
Amps
go with the peavey and just make sure that your guitar has a different sound. as mentioned tons of bands use the same amps ( can you think of a 70s or 80s metal band that didn't have a wall of marshalls behind them?). your only concern should be getting your own sound and preferably one that compliments the tone your guitar player uses.
Yea its not at all uncommon for guitarists to use the same amps it can actually be beneficial!but out of those 2 you want the peavey but go for a used 2x12 6505/5150.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean