It's a Vibrolux RI. EXCELLENT condition. If the valves are original (which I suspect they are) that means the amp is at LEAST an 03.

I plugged my LP into it and from the very first few notes I was hooked. It has such a lush, detailed tone. The Vibrato is totally sexy. I enjoyed tuning my LP to open D and getting my Ry Cooder on with a slide and some vibrato.
It went from beloved Fender clean with a normal pick attack to epic raunchy when I dug in and strangled the strings. That surprised the hell out of me. It became a completely different amp at the drop of a hat.

The power valves are going to need to be replaced, most definitely. They are stamped 03/12, so they aren't spring chickens. I've already dropped my usual vintage stash of preamp valves in. Im picking up a tubescreamer in a few days. I can't wait to hear the amp boosted.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Sexy sexy amp! HNAD! Clips?
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Clips to come. When I bought the amp, I had been awake for around 42 hours, so all I could think about was getting home and going to sleep.
that looks nice. i have always loved those knobs. what do these amps sound like? is it just like a deluxe reverb with vibrato?
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
that looks nice. i have always loved those knobs. what do these amps sound like? is it just like a deluxe reverb with vibrato?

I honestly haven't played a Deluxe in quite a while, so I can't remember what they sound like.

I would assume that was Fender's intentions with the Vibrolux, though. It sounds KILLER. When people say "Oh this amp his Fendery cleans" they need to put that amp down for a few minutes and go play a real Fender. The difference is often stark.

It's like a Chrysler 300 next to a Bentley. Yeah sure the 300 looks like a Bentley, until the real Bentley shows up. Then the differences become obvious.
that is one tasty tasty amp you have there. HNAD!
Gear-Ibanex rg7321 w/dimarzio pups--->Ernie Ball Jr. Vol pedal--->TS9-->Line 6 DL4--->ADA MP-1--->Marshall 9005 poweramp--->Line6 4X12 straight cab w/v30s
I just finished modding the VL to get rid of a lot of the issues people have with them, because they are issues I also have with mine. It was INCREDIBLY noisy, bordering on outright oscillating, and the hiss was horrendous. This was due in part to two things:

One, the Reverb is (was) active on both channels.
Two, there is no negative feedback at the output.

By implementing Negative Feedback into the output stage, as well as separating plates from V1 and V2 which were sharing a common plate resistor, this amp has become VERY quiet. Even at full bore, there is barely any hiss.

What's even better, the amp's headroom is improved, so the clean tones are more pristine, and when the amp gets pushed, it doesn't mush out as badly in the lows.

Basically I converted the amp to the old 1963 Vibroverb specs, since this amp bears more resemblance to the Vibroverb than the original Vibrolux.

I'll record some clips of it soon. I also improved the reverb drastically by increasing the coupling capacitor going into the reverb recovery stage. The reverb is now very rich and balanced, whereas before it was thin and harsh.

I also upgraded the rectifier diodes to UF4007's to further help reduce noise and allow more efficient current draw.
Last edited by ConfederateAxe at Mar 24, 2011,
Werd, get yo bl00zak on, brah!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by ConfederateAxe

Basically I converted the amp to the old 1963 Vibroverb specs, since this amp bears more resemblance to the Vibroverb than the original Vibrolux..

because that vibrolux was basically a mod'd version of the '63 Vibroverb RI they made for a few years in the early 90s.

Great amp right there.

the bentley / chrysler 300 comparison is a good one.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
How many watts is this? Have you ever played a Deluxe Verb? I feel like this would almost be the perfect amp for me, as I find my Deluxe often having harsh high-end, seems like this would be a bit mellower (I don't mean mellow in a bad way haha). Cool amp man!
My Gear:
Fender 65' Deluxe Reverb Reissue
Fender 72 Telecaster Deluxe
Epi Les Paul Special Plus
Seagull S6 Original
Pitchblack>Tubescreamer>Xotic AC Booster

My Band - A Waste Odyssey
Awesome amp! Clips would be sweet.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Quote by trevh
How many watts is this?

about 35.
Quote by gregs1020
because that vibrolux was basically a mod'd version of the '63 Vibroverb RI they made for a few years in the early 90s.

Great amp right there.

the bentley / chrysler 300 comparison is a good one.

That explains why the spaces for the components I added in that were missing from the Vibroverb design were conveniently there on the board and empty! I think they used the Vibroverb board.

This amp kills now. I'll get some clips up probably Sunday. But I don't think it's at its full potential yet. The power tubes are the originals, and need to be replaced, and those Jensen special design speakers probably aren't the best.

I hooked my 2X12 cab with Vintage 30's into the speaker extension and it gave the amp a new dimension of sound. I had the sparkle and spank of the Jensens coupled with the tight bottom end and warmth of the Vintage 30's. The cab will be a nice option for when I need extra kick on stage. My modded Crybaby sounds SWEEEEEET through this thing. Straight up chocolate sex waka waka.
can i call dibs at this point?
Okay so it turned out I had a little bit of free time today, so I recording 3 quick clips. They're all one take, mostly improvised little ditties.

http://www.esnips.com/web/rrtechx1sStuff

And one last picture of the amp.

Last edited by ConfederateAxe at Mar 24, 2011,
HNAD!
How much did it set you back?
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio 60's Tribute
SX stratocaster
MIA Fender Stratocaster
Vox AD50 Vox AC15C1 Vox AC30CC2X Laney LH50r
Guitar>Joe Bonamossa Crybaby > AquaPuss> Sparkle Drive> Green Rhino> DejaVibe> Amplifier
CROWN VIC
Quote by Saturated Fat
HNAD!
How much did it set you back?

$700 used. It's in excellent condition. Completely stock until I got my hands on it.

But the changes I made were a big upgrade IMO.
Amp? Meh.

Ghetto LP?
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
I'm still getting it dialed in. Not EQ wise, i mean hell it only has Bass and Treble, but rather with tubes. The old Groove Tubes in it (they're actually Sovtek 5881's) are worn out, so I rolled a few LESS worn out Ruby and JJ 6L6GC's in it, and that improved the breakup in different ways. The JJ's were a little smoother and buttery in the lows, but had some harsh highend, whereas the Rubys were good on the clarity and drive, but didn't really sound their best until I rolled back the treble and went for t3h w0manz tone.
Awesome!
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
Quote by ConfederateAxe
Request for Clips = 3
Comments = 0

Listening now!

Nice playing on the Blues Noodle, and I'm digg'n the Tremoslide.

Were you using an OD pedal on Blues?
vibrolux is one of my favourite fender amps - i just love the simplicity of them

HNAD - i'm considering getting one of these myself at some point
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by fly135
Listening now!

Nice playing on the Blues Noodle, and I'm digg'n the Tremoslide.

Were you using an OD pedal on Blues?

Thanks man! No OD On Blues. That's natural amp OD right thar.

This amp really isn't that loud to me. Sure, it's 40 tube watts, but I suppose that's because im used to that flesh-peeling Marshall roar.

The CVR is a great amp, although to get the most out of it I strongly suggest you either mod it or have someone do the Moyer Mods. They're detailed in quite a few places on the net, but here's one:

http://www.fenderforum.com/forum.html?db=&topic_number=719412

I'm normally not the type to do off-the-shelf mods to an amp, but I analyzed every one of the Moyer mods against the schematic and verified by my own knowledge of theory whether each mod was a valid mod or mojo horseshit. Fortunately, all of these mods are beneficial and make a significant difference to the amp, for the better IMO. The only one of the Moyer mods I don't feel is necessary is the replacement of the "ground reference" resistsors with 47 ohmers. The amp is plenty quiet without touching those.