Poll: Would you give a random stranger a penny?
Poll Options
View poll results: Would you give a random stranger a penny?
Yes
33 79%
No
2 5%
Depends on what they're using it for
7 17%
Voters: 42.
Okay. Stick with me here. Because I'm really tired, and this thought JUST came to me.

So, picture an object you desire. Say...a guitar you really want.

Now, imagine this.

Say your guitar is $800 US. That's 80,000 American pennies.

Now, if you were to get 80,000 people to donate 1 single penny to you, you'd have your dream guitar, and the financial burden on those making the donation would be minuscule.

If I personally saw an individual with a sign saying "Please donate a penny for me to get a new guitar", I would totally donate the penny because it's just a penny.

Would you donate a penny to that person?
If I were to ask you for a penny now to go towards my dream guitar, would you give me a penny?

I'm not asking for a penny. I feel like that would be kind of greedy of me, not to mention probably against the rules of the UG forums. I'm just merely asking a bit of a thought-provoking question.

Thank you for your time. Poll coming soon.

EDIT: Another weird thought. If every person on UG were to give me (or any other user) a penny, that person would have over $17,000 US in pennies.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
Last edited by SGstriker at Mar 22, 2011,
No, a penny is a penny.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
no, im jewish.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
If you asked me for a penny to buy a new guitar, I'd probably give you two bucks or something.
Quote by NoLaurelTree000
no, im jewish.

My man.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Depends on whats in my pocket. I hate change so i would probably give you all the coins in pocket. If i didnt have any change, I would probably give you AT LEAST a dollar, probably more since its helping out a fellow musician.
Quote by magnus_maximus
You're whackin' one off in the toilet and you jizz on the counter?

I hope you never get a driving license.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude mangoes are so good. Imagine a blowjob, but instead of the feeling being on your dick, it's on your mouth.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Sure I would. Hell, I'd give him a buck, even.

Me too. I gave some drunk homeless dude a dollar the other day even though I knew that was going towards more booze, and not a "ride home." I think I just wanted him to get out of my face. I didn't have the heart to say no.

Having said that, a guy who is straight forward saying give me a [dollar] for a guitar, I'd do it.

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.

-Sloppyjoe24
Wow. This thread surprised me, actually.

I expected to get responses like the following:

"There are missing/dying people in Japan and you want to raise money for a guitar!?!?!"
"Only if you e-blow me first"
"lol nah"

My main reason in asking this is that I've been wanting this guitar for a long time, and I've been thinking of ways to help me raise the money for it. I have a job, but with car payment, insurance, gas costs, school costs, and a girlfriend, it's kinda slow going saving the money. And the thought that provoked this thread popped into my head.

Maybe I'll try asking friends for their spare change.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie

Quote by WCPhils
Nope, unless it were already in my hand. Not worth the trouble of taking out my wallet, unzipping the little change pocket in their, taking it out, throwing it in a bucket, zipping it back up without change falling out, and putting it in the back pocket of my sexy slim-fitting jeans.
The issue is that just asking people won't get you enough, because you'd have to ask so many people. What Hayes did in that article im not mental posted was different because he went national with just one letter. You'd have to spend so much time and energy it would be easier and less time consuming to just get a job.
EDIT: ^ That is very true.
Then again, I would be asking a collective to buy the guitar for me. The extra money would be just to help me along.

Quote by im not mental
Relevant article from 1987.

i totally wanna do this btw.

I do too, now that I think about it. Except my college is really cheap right now, and I don't have the excuse that my parents aren't exhausted financially because they've been able to front what I can't for college so far no problem. They just won't buy me a guitar.

I might try this though in saving for a guitar. I'd start small though. Sitting on a sidewalk in a local town with a guitar and a sign asking for a simple $1 donation.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie

Quote by WCPhils
Last edited by SGstriker at Mar 22, 2011,
Yes, I definitely would do that.

I mean, look at those poll results... what if you could count on people to do things like that, on a large scale you could even imagine it, pooling money though a populus.

Especially if it were someone wanting to buy an amp or something or they just need money to eat as a student, etc., this idea is pretty legit.
Quote by cjmabry
Bahahahaha. Can I sig that?

Quote by Kurt Vonnegut
I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.