I'm moving to go to school in August. Wondering if you guys have any advice for being more social.

I don't drink or do drugs. I don't actually plan on telling people this. I've gone out with people getting high or drunk and just not done it before. I'll just let them figure it out on their own. I seriously might just lie and say I don't do it anymore for whatever reason (health reasons, I used to drink too much, etc.), as I've really never drank or anything and people will assume you're some sunshine christian if they find out you've never done it.

Really with friends, 2-5 has always been sufficient. But I've never been social for more than a few months and I want to change that. Since I've never lived on my own and I'm sure loneliness will strike hard.
Quote by The Madcap
I've gone out with people getting high or drunk and just not done it before.

Step one is working on joining in.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Stay in your room.

Go to the gym, join a team and group projects are great for meeting new people too.

Also campus politics, so many girls haha
Last edited by Steel8909 at Mar 22, 2011,
I guess your best bet would be to try to go to social gatherings. If you're okay with lots of people (Probably like 20-25+), you could make a lot of friends and have fun.

It's not like you have to drink or smoke to have fun. I hang out with lots of people who love to get drunk or stoned, yet I don't actually do it myself. I just let them do it and whatnot. Still have plenty of fun.
Don't lie about who you are. There'll always be people who don't like you, find the people who accept you.
Quote by Athabasca
My ex did the same. Cheated on me and then acted like I'd given her sister a facial. Women are retarded.
If they aren't going to be friends with you because you don't drink and do drugs, then they aren't worth having as friends. I don't drink or do drugs, and I have friends that do but they don't care. I was at a friends house, he asked me if I wanted to smoke weed with them, I said nope, and that was that.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Elite
Squier Strat
Fender Acoustic
Line 6 POD XT-Live
Blackstar HT-1 Combo
I wish I chose to never do drugs, haha. More power to you man.

Either way, just do what you do best, and that's be you. The rest comes naturally. If you make socializing a big weird deal, it's going to be a big weird deal.
My Gear:
Carvin DC400C
Schecter Damien Elite 7 string
Boss Metalzone
Laney GH120 Head
Rhino 4x12 Celestion
-OG-UG'ER-
Put this in your sig if you've been a member over half a decade!
1. Live in a dorm, tons of friendly people
2. Leave your door open when you are just chilling in your room

Other than that you could get involved with on-campus stuff like an intramural team or a club if your into that sort of thing. Where are you going to school?
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Quote by sacamano79
1. Live in a dorm, tons of friendly people
2. Leave your door open when you are just chilling in your room

Other than that you could get involved with on-campus stuff like an intramural team or a club if your into that sort of thing. Where are you going to school?
Texas State University. Fuckin' Music Performance major with classical guitar.
I'm doing cocaine you dont want any of this sh*t Madcap. It makes all the bad feelings turn to good feelings, its a nightmare >_>
#25 for top 100 UGer of 2009
UG's 2nd Funniest UGer and 3rd most likely to be a Serial Killer of 2009, 2nd of 2011
Be outgoing. That's all I can say. I met a lot of friends by just talking to them in classes, be they lectures or not.

Also, go to parties. Not everyone who goes to parties goes to get drunk. Many don't even drink. But just chilling, meeting lots of guys and girls is part of the party experience.

But you'll find that you meet people without even trying to.
Who gives a shit, dude? The only people who would care are idiots anyway
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Don't lie about your stance on drugs and alcohol man, nothing good ever comes from lying, just be yourself and don't hang out with the ones who don't accept that
Quote by Snowman388
Don't lie about who you are. There'll always be people who don't like you, find the people who accept you.

This, so much this....

Once you start lying about yourself for acceptance, you wont stop...
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
if you're anything in person like you are on here, you should be just fine, and yeah, don't lie about the not drinking etc... nobody is going to care that much about it, and as someone said, dorms are good for meeting people
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Oh yeah, I should add to the stances on alcohol and lying.

I never lied about not doing srugs or drinking alcohol. People in college are not that worried about your drinking habits, as long as you can still have a good time without them (and aren't preachy about it )

Ofcourse, I do often get reactions of "Wait, really? How do you not drink? Is it a choice? Did you have a bad night? " and the like, but those are few, far between, and usually funny (for me) to hear

Quote by DeadlyIllness

[that guy again] gets the drum Solo and Title King of the UG.

*Drum Solo*

Steam: yintonyinton
PSN: yintonyinton
No-one should really mind if you don't smoke/drink. Just be outgoing - leave your dormroom door open, as someone said, and try to strike conversations with the people sitting next to you in classes.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.

Don't ask me I have no idea how the hell it happened.

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
Quote by Psychedelico
No-one should really mind if you don't smoke/drink. Just be outgoing - leave your dormroom door open, as someone said, and try to strike conversations with the people sitting next to you in classes.

Hey! I'm not just "someone"
Quote by trueamerican
Hey! I'm not just "someone"

Of course you are. Everybody's just someone.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.

Don't ask me I have no idea how the hell it happened.

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
Quote by Psychedelico
Of course you are. Everybody's just someone.

Hey **** you guy
I'm the best UG's favorite '11er!