As the title says.

I want to buy a set of monitors to replace my amp and multi effects and I wanted to know from which price monitors will be any good.
So any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
Gear:
----------------------
Jack and Danny Brothers Ls-5
Ibanez Gsa 60
----------------------
Zoom g9.2tt (for sale (NL))
----------------------
Blackheart Little Giant
Last edited by niels-uiterwaal at Mar 22, 2011,
I don't think my message came across....

Summary: What is the cheapest monitor that are not totally worthless?
Gear:
----------------------
Ibanez Gsa 60
----------------------
----------------------
Blackheart Little Giant
Quote by suppositron
Why would buying new monitors render your amp and mulit fx unit useless?

My room is kinda small and I barely play on them anymore now I have my UX2. My amp gets pretty loud quickley so that's another reason I am thinking of replacing it.

Do you have any suggestions on nice and cheap monitors?
Are the M-audio av40 anything good?
Gear:
----------------------
Ibanez Gsa 60
----------------------
----------------------
Blackheart Little Giant
Quote by niels-uiterwaal
Do you have any suggestions on nice and cheap monitors?
Are the M-audio av40 anything good?
I had some M-Audio StudioPro3 (the Studiophile AV30 before changing to that name ) that came in a bundle. They are... okay. Just alright. I don't imagine the AV40 would be any different.

For nearfields, I would go for at least a 5" driver. I like KRK Rokits myself, though someday I would like to own several different models for comparison, such as the Yamahas with the white cones. A pair of Rokit 5's is going to run you $300, and so would M-Audio BX5a's. However, musiciansfriend has had this deal on some red Bx5a's for $200: http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/Pro-Audio/Recording-Gear/Studio-Monitors/Powered-Monitors/Studiophile-BX5A-Deluxe-Limited-Edition.site1prodH63290.product

I would check out something like that at the least. I really like M-audio gear. As mentioned, the StudioPro's were okay. My dad had some Bx8a's and they sounded pretty decent. I like their audio interfaces, and have a USB keyboard on the way.
Ibanez AS93
Fender Marauder
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Yeah I think the Rokits are probably the cheapest monitors worth buying. Anything smaller and you're better off buying some nice home stereo speakers.
What would you guys do in my situation?
- Sell my amp and mfx and buy a new mic and bass
- Sell my amp and mfx and buy a decent monitors
- keep everything I have and save up for everything (which will take awefully long)
Gear:
----------------------
Ibanez Gsa 60
----------------------
----------------------
Blackheart Little Giant
I have IKey audio monitors, basically the old V series from KRK but cheap. they sound pretty good, very loud (125w per enclosure), and mixes translate pretty well for such cheap monitors.
Quote by niels-uiterwaal
What would you guys do in my situation?
- Sell my amp and mfx and buy a new mic and bass
- Sell my amp and mfx and buy a decent monitors
- keep everything I have and save up for everything (which will take awefully long)
If you plan on recording/producing to the best of your abilities, get a decent setup going first. A decent set of monitors will help to greatly improve your production. What do you have as far as microphones/interfaces go?
Ibanez AS93
Fender Marauder
Vox Pathfinder 15R
I have a T bone SM copy. And a Line 6 ux2.
I Use a detuner to get my bass sounds in Podfarm(it kinda works when I am only playing root notes).
I am aware that it's a shitty set-up but I just started out.
Gear:
----------------------
Ibanez Gsa 60
----------------------
----------------------
Blackheart Little Giant
bump
Gear:
----------------------
Ibanez Gsa 60
----------------------
----------------------
Blackheart Little Giant
I am using AKG k44 headphones.
Gear:
----------------------
Ibanez Gsa 60
----------------------
----------------------
Blackheart Little Giant
Yeah, I would still probably buy a bass. It's not good to mix on headphones but it can be done. You just have to keep referencing on a nicer stereo you are used to. Getting a nice bass sound would probably help you out more. A good mix of sub-par sounding instruments still sounds like sub-par instruments.
true. Do you know if I can get rid of sterility in vocals with a new mic too?

I have a dynamic mic (sm 58 copy) now and sounds kinda plain or something, I can't really describe it. Do you think I will tackle that problem if I buy (for instance) a Blue Spark or Rode nta1?
Gear:
----------------------
Ibanez Gsa 60
----------------------
----------------------
Blackheart Little Giant
I have a pair of alesis monitor one mk2's and KRK rp8's in comparison i actually prefer the Alesis monitors because ive learnt there sound and they cost very little for what your getting out of them.

They have decent low end, the mids are decent and the high end is pretty good.

IF you set them up right (room placement)

Id say there 100% worth buying but its your opinion on them.

They're useful to cross reference if you hardly use them also
Last edited by smokeysteve22 at Mar 26, 2011,
I have the M-audio Studiphile AV30, and they are just awesome. at about 2 on teh volume knob, they get loud enough to jam with an amp on. Crank them, and they still stay clean and robust. Defiantly recomend them, and they were 130$ for the both of them.
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Roland Edirols, I have the little MA-15's and they're pretty powerful for their price. You do want to be a bit careful thoguh as they're a little bass heavy, but once you tweak with the EQ on the front panel a bit you get a decent mix.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
I am really hanging to the M-audio AV30/40 but I am afraid that it will outgrow me too quick...
So it might be better to just get all stuff I really need first and then save up for the monitors.
Gear:
----------------------
Ibanez Gsa 60
----------------------
----------------------
Blackheart Little Giant
I own the AV30s, I bought them cuz they were cheap. Honestly, they're just a pair of monitor sized bookshelf speakers. Just save up and buy the KRKs
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
That was a clear awnser thanks a lot for the help guys!

First save up will be towards bass and a new mic and the second save up will be for a nice pair of monitors.

Thanks again!
Gear:
----------------------
Ibanez Gsa 60
----------------------
----------------------
Blackheart Little Giant