Okay, I've been playing guitar for about 3-4 years now and stopped getting lessons at the start of the year as i moved. I'm looking at starting lessons again and want to learn to play some bluesy shreddy type of stuff, like Steve Vai's Tender Surrender. Can anyone recommend some artist who play some similar stuff? Also can anyone give me some advice as to what sort of theory is involved? as I would eventually like to make my own songs (I'm crap at improv and cannot read notation lol)
Check out Gary Moore's stuff like Still Got The Blue's that song is amazing. as for theory stuff learn scales. start off with the pentatonic scales check both minor and major p. scale.
JUST ANOTHER ANNOYING BIG STATUS
Quote by ibrahimasood
Check out Gary Moore's stuff like Still Got The Blue's that song is amazing. as for theory stuff learn scales. start off with the pentatonic scales check both minor and major p. scale.

I agree with this other that I usually have my students skip pentatonics and go straight for major and minor scales since they are just trhe major and minor scales minus two notes.

oh and still got the blues has some of the coolest blues lead licks!!
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.