Hello all!

I was planning on buying a HRDeluxe to replace my Fender FM212R, but I came to realize... Is it really a smart thing to do ?

I would RARELY play live shows, it's really just for practicing in my bedroom and with my friends. 600€ is a lot of money just for "fun with my friends" don't you think ?

I was going to buy that amp because my favorite band has it (The Strokes). But come on, I'm not them. It's stupid.

I would rather buy a second guitar:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/epiphone_les_paul_special_sc_tv.htm

It looks so cool

So here is my question :

- If I buy a really cool OD pedal (Visual Sound) to put on the clean chanel of my 212R, will it be okay ? I know it wont be like a HRD but still, with a cool guitar it would sound alright won't it ?

- What do you think of my decision ? Should I go with the HRD in the end ? Or buy a cool guitar and OD pedal ?

Thanks !!!!!

PS: I'm 19, just to put that out there.
Well I never tried a HRDeluxe (my town doesn't have it), I only knew that The Strokes play with that amp, so that's why I wanted it.
If you only need it for messing around you'd be better off getting a 15w-20w tube amp or if you never play live an even lower wattage one.
What guitar do you have at the moment? If you have a really rubbish guitar an upgrade might be worth it if you have a decent guitar an amp change would bring more of a difference.
Gear:
Fender American Tele (Lefty)
Squier Affinity Strat (Lefty)
Boss DS-1
EHX Small Clone
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Laney LG12
Danelectro FAB Flanger (Rubbish)
I have a Gibson Les Paul Custom, I love it. But I was looking at the Epi LP TV yellow with P90 because it sounds and looks cool

I would play live sometimes, I have already been on stage with my 212R nas it was alright. And after all the audience doesn't care how much your amp cost as long as the song is cool right ?!

I only have the money to buy or the guitar, or the amp.
alright, im gonna give some advice that you will hear several times throught your musical time (warning, im about to rant)

dont copy people

try to find equiptment that suits you, your style, your tone. With that being said...i dont know how long you've been playing, so MOST LIKELY from how it sounds, not very long...that means you probably havnt gotten an "music ear" yet...which basically means you can't tell the difference between a really bad tone, a decent tone and an amazing tone.

so, in my opinion...dont buy either...another thing that ALWAYS gets people is how a guitar looks, never solely base your opinion of an instrument on how it looks...though p-90 pickups are good, the rest of the guitar isnt. Honestly if i was you, i would save your money
If you've got a Gibson that you love I don't see much point in the Epi.
I'm not certain (someone correct me if I'm wrong) but a ~20w tube amp can be gigged with especially when miked. The HRD will be difficult, but not impossible, to dial in at bedroom volumes and you won't get any of that classic tube breakup at the volumes you'd use at home. I'd suggest going to a store and trying a HRD and compare it to an FM212 and maybe try some other amps like Blackstar, Jet City etc. If you really want teh guitar and think the amp sounds good then go for the guitar, after all it's your choice and you'll be the one playing it
Gear:
Boss DS-1
EHX Small Clone
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Laney LG12
Well I like my LP custom but I really love the sound of the P90 for rythmic parts and light overdrive. I have been playing for 1 year and a half.

I could buy that Epi and Gibson P90's.

EDIT: hm guys sorry I am used to saying I have a Gibson LP but it's in fact an EPI LPC with Gibson pickups. I said Gibson because I am used to people mocking Epiphone on forums, so sorry! It's Epiphone.
Last edited by alans056 at Mar 22, 2011,
Ah right, well I don't know I'll maintain that you should go to a guitar store and ask to try some tube amps and maybe a P90 equipped Les Paul.
Having said that I don't know if you have a guitar store near you. If you do GO THERE!
Gear:
Boss DS-1
EHX Small Clone
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Laney LG12
I personally think you'd be better off going with the amp, it's a much better investment long term. However, if you're absolutely set on a new guitar, I highly recommend the one you're looking at, I have the exact same guitar and it is INCREDIBLE. Since I got it I've been using it more than my Schecter, my Stratocaster and my Maton, it's really a beautiful guitar.
Unfortunately, I live in a small town in France, so the guitar stores do not have interesting stuff...

slickerthnsleek : Would you recommend me upgrading to Gibson P90s or stay with the stock ?
I'm going to rant a little bit about this.

Personally, I think its alright to look at an influence and say "Oh, they are using a big muff. I really like that sound so maybe I should invest in a fuzz". There is nothing wrong with that. At some point you are going to have to buy effects and thats a good place to start with learning and Identifying sounds that are pleasing to you.

Amps are the same way. you can use that above theory for effects, instruments, amps, etc. If you are a puddle of mudd fan, you'd probably use a PRS or a Les Paul, for example. either way, you dont want to become someone else, unless in a tribute band or something, you want to be you.

Obviously, there are vast price differences on equipment. What I can honestly say to you is that you gotta find what is the best for you. Does that have to be a $2000 guitar? no.

People will tell you straight up that a mesa dual rectifier would be a better amp than a Fender FM212R. In many cases they are right. But in many cases they are wrong.

there are differences in everything. tone woods, analog vs digital, tube vs solid state, etc. none of these are really worse than the other. it just depends on YOUR sound and what YOU personally like.

Personally, I get compliments on my sound from bands all the time. I get weird looks when I tell them what I am running.

I'm running a Stratocaster, alder body, maple/rosewood squier neck, Duncan Designed Scorcher (poor mans hot rails) in the bridge and the middle and neck pickups are from a squier bullet (and I get a great clean tone out of them). My effects are Electro-Harmonix Small Clone Chorus, Digitech Grunge Distortion, Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz and Behringer Slow Motion (being used as a noise gate). Three of those pedals are cheap "crap" pedals, or are considered to be by most, in comparison to the expensive pedals. My amp is a Fender FM212DSP. I basically have it set up as a Fender Twin Reverb. It sounds just like one. But I prefer that amp over many of the tube amps I have just kind of sitting in my studio, untouched. I get stares from guitarists al the time when I tell them this.

Thing is, a guitar doesn't have to be expensive or have the "best" parts and upgrades. You could buy a squier and make it sound good if you take the time with it. Even cheap pedals can sound great. Yeah, there are some that are crap and some that are worth it. A Front Man amp isn't the elite choice by any means, and they are fairly cheap. But if you take the time with your instrument, your effects, your amp, etc, you can make your own tone. and if you are happy with your tone, thats all that matters.

Thats all I did. I took my time with what I had available to me. I'm not rich by any means, and I cant afford the "best of the best". so I guess I'm like Jack White in a way. I don't like my tone to be handed to me by expensive things. I want my music and my tone to be a challenge to me, because that is what I'm used to. I've always had to make "crap" sound good. It can be done. I think anyone who is a serious musician can make cheap gear work for them. So don't get discouraged if people knock it. Go try it out and if you like it, buy it. After all, it's really all about you. you don't seem like much of a giging musician any way.
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.

Thank you for the answer, no I'm not a giging musician. I play guitar with my friends that's all. Sometimes we play shows but it's very rare.

As I said, I cannot try amps or guitars, because I live in a small town. Paris is a 3H drive but it would be hard to convice my parents to drive just to try amps

As for the amp, I just want a cool Overdrive. So I was thinking about a cool OD pedal from Visual Sound, and hook that to the clean channel of my FM212R. But again, I do not know how it will sound, it's only a guess, as I can not try before buying ...

I think you kind of convinced me into not spending 600€ in a Hot Rod Deluxe. After all I'm just a kid having fun with guitars, not a serious musician!
You can be a serious musician and not gig and stuff. Do you dig your Frontman? If you are ok with that amp, then I'd say, try a cheaper overdrive if you can find one and try it out and see if it's something you are into. or try a youtube comparison video.

Hot Rods are pretty good amps and they'd be worth it. You'd get some sort of over drive with the amp itself if it's tube. but to be honest, if you are tight on money and are unsure, it would probably be easier to go with an OD pedal or a few until you find the right one.

I hate the distortion/od channel. It's like heavy metal and I'm not into that at all. But the clean channel is nice!

The visual sound pedals are really good. The Strokes use the Jekyll and Hyde, but I don't need the distortion because I already have a DS 1 BOSS, so a tubescreamer will be cool with the clean channel I guess!
Tubescreamers rock. I miss my old one.

Im pretty sure that tone is easily had with the frontman with no pedals, idk its been a long time since I took mine out of the box.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by slipknot_420
Im pretty sure that tone is easily had with the frontman with no pedals, idk its been a long time since I took mine out of the box.

Ugh, no. The whole point of the Frontman is to leave it on the clean channel permanently and use multi effects or pedals of some description. The overdrive channel is bad. I bought mine back before I knew anything and even then I knew it was horrible. I got it with a Korg AXG1000 so that went alright for a while.

If you love your FM thats cool but don't
a) AB it with better amps
b) Play in a band with other guitarists
It will end up costing you money.

Guitars:
Charvel USA San Dimas | Jackson Matt Tuck Rhoads | Jackson DK2M Dinky | Epiphone Les Paul Custom Midnight | Fender MIM Sunburst Tele

Amp:
Jet City JCA100HDM | Framus CS 2x12
I haven't read any of this thread, but I read the first post and your last thread.

You keep trying to make excuses not to buy an amp.

Therefore, you don't want a new amp.

There is your answer.

I personally would take a HRD over an FM212 any day, even if I wasn't gigging.

But you clearly don't want a new amp, so do whatever else with the money.
Yes I am making excuses, but it's not because I don't want the amp, I would love it!

But I'm not sure it's a smart move, buying an expensive amp in my situation.
I say screw 'em! Who cares what others say. No one cares about the cost or type of your gear except musician snobs!

Save your money until the day you can try out different amps in person and then decide. Don't buy anything unless it really stands out to you and then buy that exact amp.
www.miraclemaxmusic.com

"Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it."
Jello Biafra

(so is it dead?)
Ill throw my opinion out. to answer the question of if a new amp is really worth it, yes it it is definitly worth it. the frontman isnt such a great amp and you would be better upgrading to the tube amp. i promise you it will be the best investment you can make honestly. and a new guitar would be awesome for a while, but after a while i imagine you will want the amp upgrade anyways.

id reccommend looking into the used market and seeing if you can find anything in your area amp wise. save as much money as you can on the amp and then put the rest towards a guitar. look into other potentially cheaper amps to see if there are others that you will love.

of course i should also mention i am also 19, and i know that at our age money doesnt exactly grow on trees. honestly im gonna have to say if you dont feel 100% about a purchase as big as these are dont take them. i imagine you have lots of other interests in life and you may find you would want to invest that money into something else.
Quote by Kev_369
Ugh, no. The whole point of the Frontman is to leave it on the clean channel permanently and use multi effects or pedals of some description. The overdrive channel is bad. I bought mine back before I knew anything and even then I knew it was horrible. I got it with a Korg AXG1000 so that went alright for a while.

If you love your FM thats cool but don't
a) AB it with better amps
b) Play in a band with other guitarists
It will end up costing you money.

Yea I actually pulled my frontman 10g out of it box and its really not that bad of a little amp hence y i bought it in the first place it was a travel amp since I travel alot.
But I came deadly close to the tone he wants with no pedals. Id say practice more?
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Well maybe my example wasn't good enough but I can assure you it's not possible on a FM with no pedals.

I play the song fine by the way !
Quote by alans056
Unfortunately, I live in a small town in France, so the guitar stores do not have interesting stuff...

slickerthnsleek : Would you recommend me upgrading to Gibson P90s or stay with the stock ?

No I wouldn't. It's pointless. The stock P90's have a great sound to them.