Page 1 of 2
Just curious about others opinons...

If you're about to spend good money on an expensive new amp, would you buy it off the showroom floor, or make them order you a new one in the box?

I am very particular when it comes to my gear. I just bought a "brand new" 2010 Mesa head off the showroom floor from my very reputable local music store (not guitar center). It had all the tags on it, and came with all the appropriate accessories, except the power cord (they gave me a brand new one)

The owner said that this head had never even been turned on, it's just been sitting out on display. Of course I asked if he had a new one in the box, but unfortunately he did not. I checked the head out from top to bottom and it looked immaculate.

When I brought it home and really "inspected" it, I noticed a very small half-inch slice in one of the leather corners on the bottom of the amp. Also the Chrome Diamond Plate face has some imperfections in the finish. I don't know if this is a manufacturers defect or they all look this way.

Am I being overly particular, and should just enjoy my new amazing amp?
Just use it ffs...

Quote by poopsmith666
I sincerely hope one day you look back at this post and realize how ignorant you're being about the concept of getting high.

Quote by strat0blaster
Out of those choices, I'm going to go with the Bastrapple.
if I were to buy NEW which I have done a bunch of times but would never do again I would make them order me a new one but have them open the box in the store and try it out there

edit:
you know most of the gear they have at guitar center on the showroom is all brand spankin' new but have you ever seen the clientel that play that stuff. generally 12yo that doesnt know what he is doing on volume 8/10, picking one note at a time, poorly, probably scratching everything.

just order a new one
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
Last edited by thejester at Mar 22, 2011,
you're being pedantic, enjoy the amp dude. if there's any SOUND defects, then you have reason to complain, but as it is, chillax.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Could have been a defect during manufactoring, something during shipping, or something that happened between getting out of the box and putting it on display. Could also have been a slight bit of mis-treatment from careless customers.

Depends how much the defects bug you. You could perhaps take it back and the store might offer you some kind of discount. If the defects were minor, required close inspection to be revealed and make no difference to the performance of the amp, I'd probably just overlook it.
Quote by Dempsey68
you're being pedantic, enjoy the amp dude. if there's any SOUND defects, then you have reason to complain, but as it is, chillax.

screw that, he can complain about whatever he wants to. he just spent a grip of money on something. i wouldnt want to buy a brand new car to find out there is a scratch on it and one of the rims has oxidation, even though it drives well. its your money man
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
You do have every right to complain if it bugs you. Having said that, your gear will suffer some knocks and damage sooner or later so this already has that first "oh shit" moment out the way
Top lel.
Are the imperfections worth the hassle?

They couldn't have been that bad if it took a "proper" look from yourself to notice them...

Personally from what you've described I wouldn't be that bothered and let it roll.... but it's your money so up to you.
[
The imperfections are so small, the average person would never notice them. There is just something gratifying/peace of mind opening it out of the box, knowing that nobody has touched it since the factory.
I'd buy it from you in a heartbeat.

Seriously, one cut and a small imperfection is nothing. If it doesn't f*ck up the sound of the amp, you shouldn't bring it back.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Who gives a shit about how it looks? Play the ****ing amp already.

If you're buying an amp for looks then you're not buying an amp, you're buying a showpiece, or bragging rights.

EDIT: Let me explain more. I always hear people say, when I bring a beat up amp to practice: "You paid how much for that? It looks terrible!"

And I always respond "I paid money for the sound, not how it looks. That's what's important."

In short, you should be paying for the sound. Not for the looks.

In shorter short... STOP MAKING THREADS AND GO PLAY YOUR AMP.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Mar 22, 2011,
I like buying stuff off the floor because I can get discounts. If there's something seriously wrong with it then it probably show up in the first few weeks, well within manufacturer's warranty.

Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
I would never buy an amp off the floor unless it was incredibly cheap.

I did just buy a used amp from GC, got one hell of a deal and have had no issues at all.
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
I bought my crate off of the floor at my local music store and had no problems until 6 months later. They got me a new one from crate but this one is starting to do the same thing.

I would buy another amp from a showfloor, but only with the warranty
Twitter

LTD EC-1000 (Vintage Black)
Schecter Damien-FR
Crate Flexwave 120W

INDECISIVE AMP FUND: $500/$
if the display model was indeed just for display and looked fine then yeah i'd buy it. (probably would at least ask for a little discount though) i won't buy an amp that is used a demo model though (not without a decent discount at least.) when i bought my last amp i made sure they had new ones in stock before i actually came down to buy it. yeah the guy was like well i can give you the one off the floor if we don't. i said hell no cus god knows how many morons have been beating on that one (me included). i'd hate to buy a new amp and have to replace the tubes a month later because a never ending parade of 13 year olds left it on for hours at a time.
If you're ever going to use it properly outside it'll probably get more beat up then that lolz i'd just leave it!

It makes no difference to sound i like beat up old amps it adds teh mojo
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Mar 22, 2011,
it's up to you, really.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The diamond plate swirling if thats what your talking about is normal, but the slice probly happened after the factory, either way its up to you, personally I hate the diamond plate, Id order the tweed grill, then Id have it modded so it sounds like it should lol, once you hear or play a correctly modded rectifier you wont want a stock recto.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
It's all up to you, but personally I wouldn't gut something from showroom. Most (not usually the big mesa heads though) of the amps get abused on the showroom of course depending on what store in what area you go to. For example I wouldn' t buy a showroom amp from San Bernadino Guitar Center, no way no how.
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
That's funny you ask that because I'm kinda the opposite. If I play an amp and like it, and decide to buy it, then I want that specific amp! The very amp I played! Maybe I'm superstitious, but in the past I have noticed differences between the very same model of amp so if I like one, I try to stick with the one I like. For this reason I would totally take one off the showroom floor even if a lot of other people have played it before. The worst that can happen is if it's a tube amp then the time before replacing tubes will be shorter, but I often upgrade my tubes anyway (stock tubes blow). A few surface nicks / cuts / scratches don't matter to me.
www.miraclemaxmusic.com

"Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it."
Jello Biafra

(so is it dead?)
I just don't want to come off like a crazy person demanding a new amp "in the box" because of a very, very small slice in the corner leather protector, and questionable quality on the chrome diamond plate.

Like I said for me, it's just peace of mind knowing that i'm the only one who has handled the amp... maybe I am a little OCD.
Quote by wick001
I just don't want to come off like a crazy person demanding a new amp "in the box" because of a very, very small slice in the corner leather protector, and questionable quality on the chrome diamond plate.

Like I said for me, it's just peace of mind knowing that i'm the only one who has handled the amp... maybe I am a little OCD.

Your not the only one whos handled the amp man no matter what they told you!
Your not crazy did you pay full price for it? If you did Id return it most likely or ask for a discount, which might be hard since mesa has strict rules on discounting there products.
But I can tell by the responses youve made you wont be satisfied with the amp due to the minor defects.
So this is what you should do take it back get a new one be happy and crank that shit!
EDIT- and if it is swirling of the diamond plate its normal, the new one will most likely have it too, hence order a tweed or black grill.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Last edited by slipknot_420 at Mar 22, 2011,
i bought my peavey 6534+ off the show room floor, i played it on 3 different occasions in the store and i was one of the only people to ever play it. it was a bit dusty when i bought it but the cleaned it up, and it sounds fine, tubes are in awesome condition because these guys know thier sh*t
You should ABSOLUTELY RETURN IT NOW.

You paid how much and its all beat up?

I'd return it as opposed to letting that store owner screw you over like that. Wow.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
You should ABSOLUTELY RETURN IT NOW.

You paid how much and its all beat up?

I'd return it as opposed to letting that store owner screw you over like that. Wow.

It's not beat up at all. Like I said, it does have a couple very very small imperfections. I'm sure it's from the owners moving their displays around, but still for $1899, I want it 100% perfect.

I just don't want to be that guy to make a big deal over something so small.
Its not small. Its a $1900 amp. Would you buy a new car with dings on it?

Now the tolex will likely start peeling. Maybe not right away, but soon. Then what?

Take it back now. Wow.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
yeah having read the original post more closely i'm with greg
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you pay 100% you should get a brand new flawless one, not an almost flawless one.
im not too bothered about the way it looks, but i always make sure there is nothing seriously wrong and that everything is in good condition before i buy it. i also always buy the guitar or amp that i've been playing, even tho QC should ensure that something of the same model sounds the same i've found that its not always the case. and apart from my last two purchases i've always bought what ive just been playing in the store. never at full price tho, you can always bring the store down a fair bit
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
I don't think it's a big deal. I'm with those who say you buy an amp for the sound.

Of course, I would patch that slice with some rubber cement or something so it doesn't open up more.
www.miraclemaxmusic.com

"Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it."
Jello Biafra

(so is it dead?)
Well, You did look it over in the store and were Happy with it. As far as they know, it could have been damaged after you got it home. Most big stores have some kind of 30 day return policy.

You can bring it back,probably for store credit , and buy another through an online store. Where it will probably get Really damged in shipping.

I hear where you're coming from... but... I would probably keep it. If you really wanted a "Brand New One" you could have waited for them to get another one in stock. It's up to you in the end .
dngrsdave

Heavy Metal Thunder
What is it with ppl? Of course you buy an amp for the way it sounds. You buy a NEW amp to have a good sounding NEW amp. If it was damaged then he shouldn't have had to pay new price.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Theres no way a Mesa sits around for 1 year without being tested.
I would have to question that from the start.

Honestly I dont think those blemishes are going to hurt it at all,
but it is your money. You have every right to get what you feel your money is worth.

I do have to add though, sometimes you find a special guitar or amp that just stands out.
Just because you order the same model ...doesnt mean youre guaranteed the same tone.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Your first mistake was wasting money buying a brand new amp.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Yes, if i try the amp and love it i would want that exact one if it's possible. Plus the amp would be broken in.
My gear:
  • Fender American Standard Telecaster
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Blackout Effectors Musket fuzz
  • Electro Harmonix Pulsar
  • Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport
  • Malekko Chicklett

Page 1 of 2