Page 1 of 2
This is hands down, without a doubt, the absolute best amp & cab I've ever played through. Nothing even comes close IMO. My quest for tone has ended.

First, the 412 Traditional Avatar Cab. I am absolutely amazed at the quality of this cabinet. Everything from the orange tolex, chrome corners, handles, celestion speakers, recessed input jacks, rubber feet, it’s all extremely high quality. It weighs around 85lbs and built like a tank. It sounds incredible. No buzzes or vibrations, very solid, and it looks great. I am 100% satisfied with this cab, and will no doubt be using them again for all my speaker needs. They also packed this thing better than anything I've ever received in the mail.

Now the new Mesa Dual Rectifier 2010 Multi-Watt. I owned a 2005 dual rec and I regretted selling it ever since. I’ve gone through many, many amps and cabs, and I can honestly say that this is the greatest amp I’ve ever played. It sounds even better than all the previous versions IMO.

The clean channel is astonishing, for a high gain amplifier. It is so warm and so clean it sounds like angles are coming from the speakers. Add in my hardwire reverb and delay, it seriously is a thing of beauty. This was the problem with my 6505+, the clean pales in every way, shape, and form to this mesa.

Channel 2 – Possibilities are endless. You can get a nice gritty clean on raw, crunchy on vintage, and high gain on modern. This amp really can do any sound you want. And make it sound like studio quality.

Channel 3? Forget about it. Modern on channel 3 is balls to the wall, all out thick, creamy distortion. It is miraculous. THE BEST HIGH GAIN SOUND I’VE EVER HEARD HANDS DOWN.

The effects loop is perfect, multi watt for home playing, recto tracking per channel, etc… etc…
Goodbye 6505+ and all other amps. I’m done. Time to play…

Last edited by wick001 at Mar 22, 2011,
awesome amp man. i've wanted a recto for a long time. also, i really like your amp "station" thing you have going on. is that a flextone on the end? also, it has probably been a while since you had the '05 recto, but does the newer one seem to have less fizzy high end?
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Honestly this 2010 Dual Rec is the best amp I've ever played. I won't be selling this setup if that says anything, because I'm always buying and selling looking for the perfect sound. Well, I've found it. I literally can't say one bad thing about this amp.
Have you played the 6505 through the Avatar? It probably seems a lot worse since you're running it through a VK cab.

But, I don't want to be a downer. HNAD! I love both 6505's and Rectifiers, so your amp wall is just making me jizz right now. Very very nice.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Congratulations, hope you make some clips!
Guitars:
- Gibson SG Standard
- Lag Roxane 500
- Eastwood Hi-Flyer
- Takamine EG523

Amplifiers:
- Jet City JCA50H
- George Dennis 60Watt The Blue Combo
- Marshall SuperBass 100Watt
Yeah i was going to say...

tried played the 6505 through the avatar? peavey cabs are teh suxors generally

HNAD day though. i love teh rectos
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Mar 22, 2011,
Yes I tried the 6505 through the Avatar. The 6505 is just not for me. IMO the Mesa blows the 6505 out of the water in every way.
HNAD! How much did the avatar cab run you for?
Twitter

LTD EC-1000 (Vintage Black)
Schecter Damien-FR
Crate Flexwave 120W

INDECISIVE AMP FUND: $500/$
HNAD!

What's with the orange cab though...

Guitars:
Charvel USA San Dimas | Jackson Matt Tuck Rhoads | Jackson DK2M Dinky | Epiphone Les Paul Custom Midnight | Fender MIM Sunburst Tele

Amp:
Jet City JCA100HDM | Framus CS 2x12
HNAD!!!!!!!!!! LOOKS GREAT!!

I just wanna ask, and anyone can answer, how does the cab compare to Orange and Mesa cabs?
With my 2005 dual rec, i was playing through the 2x12 Mesa recto cab. IMO this cab sounds miles better. It could be because it's a 412 or because it has (2) V30's and (2) G12-75's
I love my 2010 dual rec (I've got the roadster). I agree about the clean channel.... try splashing in a touch of chorus as well..... WOW. I agree with the orange channel as well.... it sounds better than my friend's Marshall stack.

The red channel makes me want to start a metal band.... too bad I suck at shredding LOL. But practice makes perfect..... it has been very inspiring and has made me a better musician.
HNAD!

That's some sexy gear right there. And $567 for the Avatar cab is disgustingly cheap, I wish we had a similar custom cab manufacturer over here in the UK.
Ibanez S520EX with Seymour Duncan Blackouts
ESP EC401FM with EMG81/60
VHT Deliverance 60
Laney VH100R
Marshall JCM900 1960B
Maxon OD808
Quote by wick001

That video makes me want a Mesa even more than I already do

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I've been sad and trieing to figure if andy timmons rerecorded that track for mesa since the only mesa thing he used in the recording process of that record was a cab didnt he use old marshall heads...

meh i give up i've got better things to do haha
Quote by LaidBack
Mesa Boogie, we whack our shit with hammers.

That part did make me cringe a little. He could have so easily destroyed that amp. But then, if he wasn't super experienced, he definitely wouldn't be in their video anyway.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
wish there was a company like avatar over in the UK
I really want an avatar cab, never heard a bad thing said about them!
how much was your rec?
OMFG!!!
KILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLER RIG

I'M IN LOVE!!!

I KNOW WHERE TO STEAL

nah, just kidding :P

I LOVE YOUR RIG

HNAD
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
Man that schecter looks awesome.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Congrats on the new amp Wick. One day it will be mine...
Quote by coolstoryangus
I've been sad and trieing to figure if andy timmons rerecorded that track for mesa since the only mesa thing he used in the recording process of that record was a cab didnt he use old marshall heads...

meh i give up i've got better things to do haha

Based on this Three Part Andy Timmons Rig Demo I would assume he uses the Mesa equipment specified here (Lone Star with 6L6's and the Stiletto with EL34's). I know it's his live rig, but the demos sound almost exactly like the record. Specifically, here on his live DVD he can be seen playing Resolution on his Mesa rig. So I'm pretty convinced he used an all Mesa rig for that album.
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
Quote by FrenchBread
Congrats on the new amp Wick. One day it will be mine...

Based on this Three Part Andy Timmons Rig Demo I would assume he uses the Mesa equipment specified here (Lone Star with 6L6's and the Stiletto with EL34's). I know it's his live rig, but the demos sound almost exactly like the record. Specifically, here on his live DVD he can be seen playing Resolution on his Mesa rig. So I'm pretty convinced he used an all Mesa rig for that album.

He used marshalls on the resolution record

http://www.eqmag.com/article/andy-timmons-details/oct-07/31777

He does use the mesas on his live rig and gets really close to the tone but thats because he's andy timmons and his fingers are magic.

I can't really tell if its a rerecorded thing on the background for mesa due to the video compresion i just thought it'd be funny if it was the original recording with the old marshalls which it probably is because i couldnt notice much but it may not be its hard to tell with some streaming video compressing things since andys such a good player.

Also he does use a few of the same pedals i think. dirtboxes etc

He did uses mesa cabs though so there is some MESA gear on resolution
Quote by gregs1020
Man that schecter looks awesome.

Indeed, is it the Blackjack atx C-1 ?

Great set up, it must sound fantastic. Makes me want to get a Mesa now ...

HNAD
Gear :

Peavey 5150 Head
Mesa 412 OS
ISP Decimator G-String
Maxon OD808
MXR M-108 EQ
Ibanez RG
LTD EC-Sin
Gibson Les Paul Studio
so are you gonna be selling the 6505?
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
the mesa must be awsome..It is out of my price rang though. How is the flex tone?
good for you man! oh and i see that Flextone over in the corner xD i have one too lol. hey, stupid question but, how does the flextones dual rec channel match up to the actual thing?
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by Sputnik1
WALL OF SOUND! WALL OF SOUND! ABY That!

THIS THIS THIS!

But seriously. You'll jizz bricks.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Page 1 of 2