okay so after 9 MONTHS i'm taught the right way of pulling off the guitar string but this questions me.

When i pull off the high E string i flick it downwards, it worked flawlessly and i can do it pretty fast

however when i flick the other string, i can't flick it downwards. so i flick it upwards slowly and it worked! is it alright to do this? or should i just follow everybody and flick it downwards?

are there any consequences if i flick each of the strings in a different direction?
I think most people flick downwards because it's easier to pull your finger (curl it inwards) than to push it. But if you can get the sound you want by flicking upwards and you find it easier, go for it.
If it sounds good and it works for you then go for it. No one ever said that you had to have the same playing style as everyone else.
Wow, I just tried that and it is HARD!! Props dude!

I don't see you playing anything speedy with that technique tho (although I could be wrong). Perhaps the reason why you can't use normal pulloffs on your other 5 strings is because you really ARE trying to pull the strings "downwards", which of course isn't the case:

the trick is to not just lift your finger off the string (which would be just like fretting it, only in reverse), but to move that finger in a slightly downward motion at the same time. If you're fretting it correctly the string should get "stuck" a little behind your finger and move along with it, until the tension becomes too great and it "shoots" off your finger, thus producing the sound we're all familiar with

At first you'll probably find it easier to pull this off (see what I did there :p ) with the high E string like you do now, but once you get the hang of it you'll notice that the motion has become less extreme. It's just like watching guitar solos on youtube: the faster they get, the less they seem to lift their fingers off the fretboard

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Quote by shwilly
Wow, I just tried that and it is HARD!! Props dude!

I don't see you playing anything speedy with that technique tho (although I could be wrong). Perhaps the reason why you can't use normal pulloffs on your other 5 strings is because you really ARE trying to pull the strings "downwards", which of course isn't the case:

the trick is to not just lift your finger off the string (which would be just like fretting it, only in reverse), but to move that finger in a slightly downward motion at the same time. If you're fretting it correctly the string should get "stuck" a little behind your finger and move along with it, until the tension becomes too great and it "shoots" off your finger, thus producing the sound we're all familiar with

At first you'll probably find it easier to pull this off (see what I did there :p ) with the high E string like you do now, but once you get the hang of it you'll notice that the motion has become less extreme. It's just like watching guitar solos on youtube: the faster they get, the less they seem to lift their fingers off the fretboard
oh.. so thats how you guys do it... and what did you tried that you said that its "HARD"?
Quote by PUNKSTER93
oh.. so thats how you guys do it... and what did you tried that you said that its "HARD"?
Y know, that "reverse pulloff" you mentioned. Maybe it's because I've been playing for a bunch of years but it seems like a totally unnatural movement for me

Kinda like trying to play on a guitar for leftys > my brain just doesn't like that

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Well actually that guy who invented tapping (Van Halen) tapped upwards. So there's nothing wrong in doing that
Quote by danceandpretend
I think most people flick downwards because it's easier to pull your finger (curl it inwards) than to push it. But if you can get the sound you want by flicking upwards and you find it easier, go for it.

This.
This is a signature. It appears below your post. You are probably reading this.
Quote by oed
Well actually that guy who invented tapping (Van Halen) tapped upwards. So there's nothing wrong in doing that

Invented?
Not to mention when you tap your hand is in a totally different position...

Yeah, you want to pull down and away from the fretboard. Make sure you're muting the higher strings so you don't clip them and get unwanted noise.
i am pretty sure iv seen holdsworth doing what you have described. or it could have been a speed illusion
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Quote by danceandpretend

what do you mean "curl it inwards?"
Quote by SideshowBob180
Quote by oed
Invented?

Yeah, I lol'd too. I think supposedly EVH picked up the idea of tapping from Ace Frehley and then expanded it to his own technique, I'm sure 2 hand tapping has been around plenty longer than that though.
My Gear:
Suzuki Classical Guitar from 60s
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Monterey Steel String Acoustic
Maton M255 Steel String Acoustic
Agile AL-3100 w/ EMG 81/85
Bugera 6262-212
Quote by Freepower
Holdsworth rather famously doesn't really use pull-offs.

And when he does he pulls down.

^, if think you're watching Holdsworth use a pull-off he's really doing a hammer-on with the lower finger.

what do you mean "curl it inwards?"

inwards as in towards your palm