Page 1 of 4
I doubt it. None of my family even go to church, and we'll have catholic funerals for the next thousand years.
Horseness is the whatness of allhorse.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
Exit signs are on the way out.
Quote by n to the k
^ you are wise

Quote by Maus24
There's been sooo many threads done on this; I don't even wanna hear that you used the searchbar. Staring at it and giggling does not count.
The worlds fu cked up and we lit the fuse, its all used up what you gonna do?
It's friday?
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
It's friday?

Fun fun fun.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
i really hope it does, i understand your point about people not going to church and having religious funerals/weddings and such but personally i know the last person iv thought about at those occasions is a god :/
That's a very interesting article.

If you think about it a thousand years ago people believed all sorts of stuff, take wizardry for example. Now people would think that's a crazy concept.

Maybe in a thousand years time people will look back on religion and think, 'my word people were stupid back then.'
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
Naa, religion will never die out. There will always be people who believe, even if it's not governmentally recognised. I for one, I'm sure, will always believe in God.

Also, why are you all so smug as atheists? Honestly, the way you talk, anyone would think that God has been fundamentally disproved.

And the perception of religious people as stupid is just wrong. There are some stupid people who have faith, just as (shock horror) there are some stupid people who don't have any faith.

Edit: VVV This guy is a perfect example. You honestly believe that all religious people are weak minded and idiots?
Bristol Rovers

Up the Gas!

Please, call me Joe.
Last edited by templar08 at Mar 22, 2011,
Unfortunately, I don't think religion will ever cease to exist. Too many weak people need something supernatural to fall back on and rely on, to morally justify their own existences/give them excuses not to actually have to do anything. It also provides an escape for people who can't wrap their mind around the endless possibilities of what could await after death.
Religion's on. It's the way out?

Shoving religion down our throats, how dare you.
Quote by Moggan13

FUCK YEAH GHERKIN PALS!!

Yeah, I use a Squier Strat.
Quote by cptcomet
That's a very interesting article.

If you think about it a thousand years ago people believed all sorts of stuff, take wizardry for example. Now people would think that's a crazy concept.

Maybe in a thousand years time people will look back on religion and think, 'my word people were stupid back then.'

I feel that way right now.
Quote by Offworld92
Unfortunately, I don't think religion will ever cease to exist. Too many weak people need something supernatural to fall back on and rely on, to morally justify their own existences/give them excuses not to actually have to do anything. It also provides an escape for people who can't wrap their mind around the endless possibilities of what could await after death.

This post is exactly why I hate the pit, just because you're atheist doesn't make you smarter than everyone else.
We all have something in us that forever leaves us unsatisfied. Musicians are the prime example. Dollar after dollar, gear after gear, we still want something more. But on a more real topic, a married, home-owning, child rearing and employed man still isn't happy. With religion, we find purpose and meaning. There's obviously more to it, but I'm trying not to Jesus-spam here for respect.

I don't think religion will ever die. But American and European culture is becoming much less open to it every day. The Middle East and South America are still on average 90% church (or other religious building) going and have an understanding of their sacred text.
Quote by greenwoodfan93
This post is exactly why I hate the pit, just because you're atheist doesn't make you smarter than everyone else.

I'm not an atheist. I used to be an agnostic, but now I'm pretty much just a nihilist. I think a lot of atheists are just as dumb as the religious. Get your head out of your ass. You don't know me, or anyone else here.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I can't remember if I'm atheist or agnostic, it's confusing and whenever I ask someone I have to explain my thoughts to them and they just look at me weird and don't answer.
Quote by Moggan13

FUCK YEAH GHERKIN PALS!!

Yeah, I use a Squier Strat.
Not everything can be answered by science, so people will always believe in the supernatural, be it gods, aliens, vampires, inter-dimensional physic powers whatever. Another reason, and this is more personal, is because people want religion. People want to believe in something more, it could be to give them comfort, purpose, a goal, morality, or a multitude of things. God will always exist if people want him to.

EDIT: Saying religion will become extinct is like saying optimism will be extinct. It may ebb and flow depending on the times or region you live in, but it's human to think of abstract and unbelievable thoughts. That's why we have folktales, myths, religion etc.
Last edited by morierdeity at Mar 22, 2011,
And possibly, we all believe in God. We just redefine it. Anything you make your center I would contend is a god. The God of Christianity defines it the same.
We just redefine it idolatry. Or obsession. Or anything else.
Quote by Offworld92

I whole heartedly disagree with this statement. Thats what non-belivers don't understand. Religion isn't for the weak. Having true faith is one of the most difficult things you can do in my opinion. I don't even have it yet. But i try.
THALL
Quote by ASJerrell
And possibly, we all believe in God. We just redefine it. Anything you make your center I would contend is a god. The God of Christianity defines it the same.
We just redefine it idolatry. Or obsession. Or anything else.

in that case, my God possesses no God-like qualities...yet it's a God?

but seriously you should all watch that documentary I posted before you post anything else in this thread.
Last edited by technicolour at Mar 22, 2011,
Quote by Offworld92
I'm not an atheist. I used to be an agnostic, but now I'm pretty much just a nihilist. I think a lot of atheists are just as dumb as the religious. Get your head out of your ass. You don't know me, or anyone else here.

I beg your pardon, but when you make posts like this:

Quote by Offworld92

Which is just bashing religious people, don't suddenly get self righteous when someone criticises you. Maybe you should get your head out your ass when you make plain stupid statements like "Too many weak people need something supernatural to fall back on".
yeah atheists are usually like that, holier than thou you might say... i love the "everyone is wrong and stupid" mentality atheists often have.

they are like this because they are raised in a kind of godless/god is bad environment and because they don't want to have to think for themselves.

fundamentalist anyones are like this because they are raised in a kind of god fearing/god is all environment and because they don't want to have to think for themselves.

any of the militant "i'm right everyone else is wrong" atheists anywhere would be the people who started the crusades and burned witches if they were in those times. people used to blindly follow god and hate and look down on people who thought differently. now you blindly follow no god and still hate and look down on people who think differently.

what's the hell changed exactly?
Last edited by gavk at Mar 22, 2011,
Quote by DecaPodge
I can't remember if I'm atheist or agnostic, it's confusing and whenever I ask someone I have to explain my thoughts to them and they just look at me weird and don't answer.

Do tell, I'll try and help
Quote by theotherguy7145
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”
Stephen Henry Roberts

Atheism - The lack of belief that any gods exist.
Theism - The belief that at least one god exists.
Failquote.
Quote by gavk
yeah atheists are usually like that, holier than thou you might say... i love the "everyone is wrong and stupid" mentality atheists often have.

they are like this because they are raised in a kind of godless/god is bad environment and because they don't want to have to think for themselves.

fundamentalist anyones are like this because they are raised in a kind of god fearing/god is all environment and because they don't want to have to think for themselves.

any of the militant "i'm right everyone else is wrong" atheists anywhere would be the people who started the crusades and burned witches if they were in those times. people used to blindly follow god and hate and look down on people who thought differently. now you blindly follow no god and still hate and look down on people who think differently.

Is this how they teach you to write in church?

/sarcasm

Edit: you sneaky
ok guys. this thread is about discussing the article not your own religious views so keep it to yourself.
Quote by Mudmen190
Atheism - The lack of belief that any gods exist.
Theism - The belief that at least one god exists.
Failquote.

Failquote or not, the point still stands.
I can understand why some people may follow religion, but I can't understand how rigorously some people follow it.
Quote by gavk

I was born and raised roman catholic, went to catholic grade school and high school. Interestingly enough, as my education increased, my faith decreased. I have to think for myself because God can't do it for me.

Yes, there's many arrogant atheists, but a large portion of them have reasonable arguments to back up their beliefs.

I think the argument is interesting, but I have a hard time believing the mathematics can account for so many social factors. However, if their predictions do prove true, kudos to them
Last edited by technicolour at Mar 22, 2011,
Quote by trueamerican
There can be no god if you relocate the apostrophe from "Religion's" to "its."

And it'd still be wrong. "Its" was possessive, so "it" doesn't receive an apostrophe. Only when
"it" is a conjunction with "is" does "it" get one.
Quote by theotherguy7145
Failquote or not, the point still stands.
I can understand why some people may follow religion, but I can't understand how rigorously some people follow it.

It misuses commonly accepted meanings of the words; the general point is pretty sound, yes, but it can cause misunderstandings.
Quote by gavk

Quite the opposite, actually.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Quote by blake1221
And it'd still be wrong. "Its" was possessive, so "it" doesn't receive an apostrophe. Only when
"it" is a conjunction with "is" does "it" get one.

Are you sure? I've also wondered about this for years. I thought that an apostrophe was to indicate a conjunction, as well as a possessive, while just adding on "s" or "es" indicates a plural.

Unfortunately, It seems that most English teachers don't even know. English/American is a ridiculously stupid language.

Also, @ gavk, I was a Christian for the first 13 years of my life. I don't know how anyone can justify following (assuming of course that he does exist) a god so cruel and merciless. You'd think that an all powerful god wouldn't really care about the way people acted.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Mar 22, 2011,
Quote by Vitor_vdp
Is this how they teach you to write in church?

/sarcasm

Edit: you sneaky

"fundamentalist anyones are like this because they are raised in a kind of god fearing/god is all environment and because they don't want to have to think for themselves." - me

mmm, yeah that's clearly what the church told me to think.

and sorry a lot of the people i'm talking about are fundamentalist atheists, not moderate atheists

i love irony.
Page 1 of 4