Yes, I am quite aware that the Fender Deville is an outstanding amp, but I just don't find it versatile enough for my style. I play pretty much every genre that you can play on guitar (rock, metal, blues, funk, classical, pop, shred, folk, hardcore, etc,), and the cleans on the Deville are excellent, probably some of the best cleans I've ever heard on any amp. However, with distortion, it's a completely different story. I just feel like I can't get that exact crunchy and clear distortion I'm looking for, even with pedals. I've tried the metal muff, big muff, tube screamer, metal core, metal zone, and a few others. My friend however loves my Deville, and offered me a trade for his Cherry Worn Gibson SG and some extra cash for my Deville. I really like his SG. I think it has a great sound, and a great feel, but it's hard to give up the Deville, because like I said, the distortion may not be to my liking, but the cleans are excellent. I do plan on purchasing a new amp ($1000-$1500) in the near future, possibly with good enough distortion built into it so I don't even need a pedal, but do you think this would be a fair trade? Or do you think I should just keep the deville just for cleans, and buy a new amp just for distortion? I just don't know what to do.
1950s Reissue Fender Stratocaster
Epiphone Gold Top Les Paul
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Ibanez TS-9
Boss BF-3
Boss DD-6
Wylde Signature Cry Baby
DigiTech Whammy 4
In that budget range, you can get an amp with good cleans and OD. I'd go for it since you like the guitar and a little cash will start you out on a new amp fund.
is it an sg standard or faded? Inlays or dots? Neck binding? Kluson tuners? Just asking cause I like sg standards! If it was the faded, i'd rather have a LP Studio. This sounds like a good deal tho! What color is the sg?
He said cherry worn, so my guess is:
Faded, dots, no neck binding, vintage klusons, cherry.
I think in 2002 when they were making my worn cherry Les Paul Special SL, they were also making a Gibson worn cherry SG too.

http://www.music123.com/productDetail/productDetail.jsp?entSkuId=430970000324000&source=ZWFRWXX&CAWELAID=814459782
Last edited by BurstBucker Pro at Mar 22, 2011,
hmmm thats a tough one.
me personally id pass on it and keep the fender, get a different amp that has the distorted sound i want and just a/b them. but im a gear freak. lol
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Yes, it is faded. I'm not sure about the neck binding, but I know it's one of the lower end SGs. I still like it a lot, though. The action is pretty much perfect, and the sound isn't bad at all, despite it having the factory pick ups in it. And I already have an Epiphone Les Paul, so I'm not really looking to get another Les Paul, even if it's a Gibson. I'm looking for a little variety, lol.
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Ibanez TS-9
Boss BF-3
Boss DD-6
Wylde Signature Cry Baby
DigiTech Whammy 4
That sounds like a good trade. I had a Deville before too. I gave it up for the same reason you are thinking. However I kinda wish I had tried more with the pedals. For instance check out the YouTube vids on the Ibanez Tube King (red model). That might get you the sound you want. Or a speaker upgrade. However you might just not like that Fender sound. Even with the most cranked distortion it kinda always sounds southern or classic rock to me.
www.miraclemaxmusic.com

"Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it."
Jello Biafra

(so is it dead?)
I mean don't get me wrong, I love classic rock, but I'd say my main style is a bit heavier than classic rock. Let me put it like this: I would rather play classic rock riffs with a metalish sound than play metal riffs with a classic rockish sound.
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Ibanez TS-9
Boss BF-3
Boss DD-6
Wylde Signature Cry Baby
DigiTech Whammy 4
Yeah then go for the trade! Those faded SGs are pretty good guitars. I remember they were really popular in 2001-2005 with goth/emo/screamo bands when that whole trend was going on. Doesn't mean that's all their good for.
www.miraclemaxmusic.com

"Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it."
Jello Biafra

(so is it dead?)