Well, In summer I'm buying a new guitar up to max 700€.
I really like Steve Lukather's playing and style and he is a big inspiration to me. I also really liked his tone on early Toto albums (but this is more equipment area)

Well I want a guitar that would play metal, hard rock and classic rock with some blues. I have been looking at Steve Lukather's signature model Luke but it is just too expensive at price 1600$. I am basicly looking for a Steve Lukather style guitar and tone.

What I would like to see on my guitar:
- 24 frets
- Steve Lukather style pickups (or at least simillar)
- guitar stays in tune even after heavy tremolo abuse
- neck for a solo guitar player (with from time to time rhythms = read Lukather style)

I know that none guitar will make me sound like Lukather, because it's pretty much all in fingers and his tone from equipment, but I've heard that his signature guitar is really great but it's far too expensive for me. I'm basicly looking for a cheaper ''Luke'' style guitar.
lukather is a total badass. Good call

I think he used a 1959 les paul standard on the early toto stuff. Good luck getting one for 700 euro, lol (add about three zeros to the end of that ). His newer stuff is (presumably) his music man signature model (though I'm guessing if he still has that '59 lp that he uses it from time to time too). I've seen him play a strat on some videos too (from the 80s).

Which one do you want? Personally I'd go down either the HSS or HSH superstrat route, for the range of tones. Probably something with e.g. a wilkinson trem and locking tuners (don't think he's ever really used a floyd).

When you say "steve lukather style pickups" do you mean the exact pickups (EMG 85 and two SAs, iirc), or just an HSS setup? The advantage of HSH is that you can get a decent approximation of the LP neck humbucker tone, but then you lose the strat neck single coil tone, so as i said, it really depends on what you want.

what guitar and amp and pedals do you already have?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Lukather did use Gibson Les Paul and also Valley Arts guitars If I'm correct.

Well I play guitar for 3 years and have since start used crappy Ibanez GRG 170DX (well it's at least great starter guitar). I am literally losing my mind sometimes with this guitar, because I know that better guitar will make me sound much better and make me wanna play more. It also constantly goes out of tune, which is making me not want to play the guitar. I also don't have a job yet, that's why I'm using Roland Cube 30. I will sure buy something better when I get a work. Well I'm used to HSH build and have always used bridge humbucker for rhythm and neck humbucker for solos. I think that HSS would be great for me. Also locking tuners would be great!

Well, I'm actually looking for a HSS build. They don't have to be the same EMG's. I just want them to sound simillar (if it helps to decrease the price). But if it doesn't change the price too much, same pickups are even better.

I really want a new guitar and learn Lukather's stuff with bigger joy.
ok, cool. He probably did use valley arts (i have no idea), but i've heard of them and it's certainly plausible that he did use them (i think they were a pretty big name back then).

Regarding the HSS versus HSH- the neck single will sound more like your middle single coil (except in a neck position), so it'll be a bit thinner and brighter than your neck humbucker.

If you're ok with that, that's cool, go with HSS.

I can't really think of anything offhand which has an HSS EMG setup within your price range. You can get EMGs at your budget, but they're likely to be the wrong ones (lukather's set is a bit more idiosyncratic). Personally I'd just get something which has good quality pickups, and if you really decide you want EMGs, just buy them later and add them to the guitar (check they'll fit first)- if you buy a guitar which already has EMGs you'd have to do that anyway to get the exact right ones, lol, plus considering lukather's choice of EMGs are the less metal ones, the ones you normally get stock on most guitars at your budget won't really sound right anyway (plus normally they're HH anyway), I would wager that passive pickups would sound closer. Plus most older lukather stuff was passives anyway.

What I would look at in your position (these aren't your only options, I've probably forgotten some obvious things):

Lag Jet 500- HSS, 24 frets, dimarzios, wilkinson strat-style trem, locking tuners. I've only tried their cheaper models, but assuming this is at least as good, if not better, it should be nice.

Yamaha Pacifica 812v- discontinued, but you can sometimes still find shops with stock. Only 22 frets, but the rest of the specs are good- duncan pickups, sperzel locking tuners, yamaha tremolo, etc.

you could also (if you're ok with a floyd rose) consider one of the new charvel pro mods (which are made in japan). You could get the so-cal (which is HH, but routed HSH under the scratchplate, so with a new scratchplate you could convert it to HSS with new pickups), or one of the older wild card models which are HSS. Again, only 22 frets, though.

Godin has a bunch of nice superstrat-style guitars too, though again they might be 22 frets, and you might have to add those locking tuners yourself.

Probably a bunch of other options which I'm forgetting...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Mar 22, 2011,
Thanks for listed guitars and info. I don't really like how the Lag Jet 500 looks, but Yamaha Pacifica 812v looks awesome. I found one deal in my country Yamaha Pacifica for under 500€, too bad it isn't red color, found blue one. But I still think it's a great deal.

Are there any other guitars that come to your mind?
not that i can think of off-hand, unfortunately. But I strongly suspect I'm forgetting something really obvious

For under 500 euro, that's a pretty good price if it's still new (they normally went here for around the £450 mark)- just check it is an 812v and not one of the cheaper ones (all the pickups should be seymour duncans on the 812- the 612 cheaps out and only the bridge pickup is a duncan, it also goes for cheaper grover locking tuners if i remember correctly).

But yeah if you try it and like it, that's a good price. I actually prefer the blue, lol, even though personally I like them both so I wouldn't be too worried, I'd just take whichever was the better deal (though obviously it's your call regarding the colour, it doesn't matter what I think ).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well, guy that sells Yamaha Pacifica is pretty much far away from me, so I will take this guitar as a backup. I'm still looking for some other options, anyone :P ?
Also, can this thread please be moved into the Electric guitar forum, because I misplaced it?
Unfortunately this is a completed listing but keep your ear to the ground for one of these.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/L-K-1983-Ibanez-RS1010SL-Steve-Lukather-RARE-/200588115617?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2eb3fbbea1

A mate has one and he loves it to bits.

[EDIT] shit, that one only went 4 days ago
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Wow! This is such a great looking guitar and must play very well. I wish I had it so much! But I don't expect I'll ever find it.
Bump, if there are any new ideas for a guitar, please post your suggestion.
Bump. I hope that you guys allow bumping up here, because I didn't find in rules that bumping isn't allowed.
Quote by Pepc619
Wow! This is such a great looking guitar and must play very well. I wish I had it so much! But I don't expect I'll ever find it.

Keep your eyes out. The old Ibanez stuff plays incredibly well, and goes for stupidly cheap. That one was actually expensive compared to others I've seen.

I've come across a number of ibanez luthakers, just keep an eye out and watch ebay
I have a guitar with a 85 at the bridge and an SA at the neck (which on it is really the middle position). It is a radical change in sound between the two. Flicking the switch is more like swapping guitars than pickups. They both sound really good but for completely different and not really compatible reasons. I like it, but that is the reality of the matter.
It aint just like switching between neck and bridge on a more conventional HSS superstrat.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Mar 25, 2011,
@denied
I'll keep looking

@Cathbard
Great info, thanks.

Well, at the moment I'm kind of lost. For now, I have only 2 guitars in my mind, these are Yamaha Pacifica 812v and Ibanez RS1010SL.

Let's try making a list a bit longer. You guys can also advise me HSH guitars. But if you remember of any Steve Lukather style HSS guitar, feel free to advise me. Maybe I'll even go with a HSH guitar.
music man has a new import brand called Sterling. they make steve's guitar in a budget version. you'd probably have to replace the pickups but it's a decent guitar as have been all of the sterling axes i've tried.
Sterling looks nice, but I don't like the idea of changing pickups because I don't know how to do it and I don't want to pay extra money just for changing pickups. I'm looking for a guitar that already has the pickups for the style that I want. Good suggestion tho.
Quote by Pepc619
Sterling looks nice, but I don't like the idea of changing pickups because I don't know how to do it and I don't want to pay extra money just for changing pickups. I'm looking for a guitar that already has the pickups for the style that I want. Good suggestion tho.

not saying the pickups are crap just that they may not be perfect and certainly not exactly what steve uses. keep in mind that when you buy middle of the road guitars that they usually will do a good job for you that they will still be somewhat lacking. often it is the pickups and other electronics that make the biggest difference between a medium level guitar and the high end ones. check the sterling out i'm really thinking it's what you want.
I don't know... I wish that guitar wasn't so bright colored. I like darker guitars. I also checked some videos on youtube of this guitar and for some reason, I didn't like the tone that much. I liked sound of Yamaha Pacifica 812w much more. Well, I should check again.
Quote by Pepc619
I don't know... I wish that guitar wasn't so bright colored. I like darker guitars. I also checked some videos on youtube of this guitar and for some reason, I didn't like the tone that much. I liked sound of Yamaha Pacifica 812w much more. Well, I should check again.

are you able to try these guitars in person? you tube vids are ok but i wouldn't judge the sound of a guitar by them as they are very compressed etc. perhaps with your amp and better eqing the guitr would sound fine. if yiour gut say go with the yamaha then go with it.
No, I can't try Sterling, there aren't any guitars in my country, just Sterling bass guitars. I can only order it from Thomann (Germany), but it also costs almost 800€. I guess I could try Yamaha Pacifica 812w, If I'll have time to get to the seller, who sells it.
Guys, what do you think about Hamer Centaura made in 91? I heard that it is an amazing guitar to play 80s music. Stock bridge Dimarzio was replaced with Seymour duncan JB f-spaced. Schaller floyd, low action, fast neck...

Your thoughts?
Quote by Pepc619
Guys, what do you think about Hamer Centaura made in 91? I heard that it is an amazing guitar to play 80s music. Stock bridge Dimarzio was replaced with Seymour duncan JB f-spaced. Schaller floyd, low action, fast neck...

Your thoughts?

if it's a US made one then by all means get it. had an early 90s diablo and it was a great guitar. actually i'd still have that but i was offered an 88 fender Stratocaster Plus Deluxe for it and couldn't say no.
yeah if it's a US-made Hamer they're meant to be great. I've only tried the import ones (which are just normal import quality, basically).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Oh and btw guys, for how much are Hamer Centaura USA sold for nowadays?
Quote by Pepc619
Oh and btw guys, for how much are Hamer Centaura USA sold for nowadays?

prices on 90s Hamer super strat style guitars are all over the place. they are undervalued and often can be had for under $500. Hamer didn't have the high profile players like charvel and kramer so they just don't seem to be in demand. to bad as they are better guitars.

just checked ebay and there is only one on there. its been heavily modded and has a current bid of $430. don't expect it will go much higher.
Last edited by monwobobbo at Apr 2, 2011,
Ok thanks. Because some guy bought it in USA for about 2000$ 10 years ago. And now fourth owner sells it for 800$. I think it's a great deal. Stock dimarzio (on bridge) was replaced with Seymour Duncan JB F-spaced.
Last edited by Pepc619 at Apr 3, 2011,
yeah if you're willing to go used, definitely go and try it. I haven't tried them but I'd imagine (assuming it's in decent condition) it'd be a much bette guitar than the other ones you're looking at.

I wouldn't worry too much about the JB versus the dimarzio anyway... depends on what the original dimarzio was, i guess. I'm not a gigantic fan of the JB, but it's not terrible either.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
So Hamer Centaura USA would be a much better choice than all of the listed guitars in this thread right?
assuming it's as good as they're meant to be, it's not a fake, it's in good condition, and you like it. Yeah.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ok guys. Tomorrow I'll go and test Hamer Centaura (and buy it, If I'll like it). Do you guys think that it will be easy to get early Steve Lukather tone with this guitar? This guitar has kind of 80s sound. Well since It's a such versatile guitar, I'm being optimistic. Your opinion?
Quote by Pepc619
Ok guys. Tomorrow I'll go and test Hamer Centaura (and buy it, If I'll like it). Do you guys think that it will be easy to get early Steve Lukather tone with this guitar? This guitar has kind of 80s sound. Well since It's a such versatile guitar, I'm being optimistic. Your opinion?

yes but it will depend on the amp and fx etc. any guitar can pretty much be made to have "fill in guitar tone here" sound if paired up with the right equipment (within reason). steve used to use a rack full of fx etc so nailing some of those tones may be tough. the Hamer is a good guitar and should serve you well.
yeah pretty much.

I mean early lukather is a 1959 les paul standard (i think), so that's pretty much out of the question anyway.

You'll be able to get reasonably close as long as you don't have to absolutely nail it (and assuming your amp etc. are suitable).

I mean trying to nail a recorded tone is something of a hiding to nothing anyway as you don't know what tricks etc. they pulled in the studio...

EDIT: obviously if you try the hamer and think it's unsuitable then don't buy it, lol.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?