Page 1 of 2
Pretty awesome, I'll give them a listen.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Cool find, although I'm doubtful about some of the things they call 'essential', such as 50 cent's Get Rich Or Die Tryin'. Some really good stuff in there as well though!
Tell me who's that writin'...
Pretty cool list but a few things I find odd, and a few things could be subbed in and out.

Not sure how Korn Follow The Leader is on the list but the first Korn album isn't.
Quote by Kylianvb
Cool find, although I'm doubtful about some of the things they call 'essential', such as 50 cent's Get Rich Or Die Tryin'. Some really good stuff in there as well though!

Why? It's an essential album for a certain genre.
I'm so happy right now.

mfw I clicked the link:

I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Quote by Kensai

I'm not really into the genre, I'll give you that, but I didn't think this would be essential for rap-lovers. I figured that 2pac's Me Against The World or Notorious B.I.G.'s Ready to Die would be more important, as all rap-lovers I know all seem to detest 50 Cent as well.
Quote by Kensai

Don't know about that.

EDIT: Awww yea, they have Bryter Layter by Nick Drake.
Last edited by Miniskirt at Mar 22, 2011,

Awesome.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Quote by Kylianvb
I'm not really into the genre, I'll give you that, but I didn't think this would be essential for rap-lovers. I figured that 2pac's Me Against The World or Notorious B.I.G.'s Ready to Die would be more important, as all rap-lovers I know all seem to detest 50 Cent as well.

Both of those are also on the list.
Quote by blue_strat
Both of those are also on the list.

Well, fair enough on those ones I guess. I just never saw 50 Cent as an influential or respected artist, to be honest. I guess I was wrong :3.
Looking at the more recent albums mentioned, I think 90% of those are shit. Can't speak about the older records because I don't really know the music.
Quote by Kylianvb

They're on to, also I saw Nas' Illimatic. A whole bunch of albums are on the list.

Quote by ultrasonic
One thing I've always wondered is why is it 1001, and not just 1000 ?

I mean, did they get 1000, and think, shit we forgot 'so and so' album It just seems stupid to use an odd number like 1001. I've seen 501 used as well.

Yeah and it's always "before you die" like you had any other choice of time to listen.
Aw yeah! James Blunt! Ironically, I would rather die than listen to him.
Quote by ultrasonic
One thing I've always wondered is why is it 1001, and not just 1000 ?

I mean, did they get 1000, and think, shit we forgot 'so and so' album It just seems stupid to use an odd number like 1001. I've seen 501 used as well.

It's memorable.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
There's way too many. You don't need that many. I'm on page 10, and I haven't seen a single album that I consider "essential". You might as well just listen to everything...
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
There's way too many. You don't need that many. I'm on page 10, and I haven't seen a single album that I consider "essential". You might as well just listen to everything...

So, you don't consider the most famous albums by Sinatra, Miles Davis, Elvis, The Beatles, The Kinks, The Doors, The Byrds, Jimi Hendrix, Love, The Beach Boys, The Velvet Underground, The Who, Leonard Cohen, Simon & Garfunkel, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Led Zeppelin, Johnny Cash, Nick Drake, The Rolling Stones, Black Sabbath, and the Stooges to be "essential" to Pop music?

What on earth do you consider essential?
Quote by Nosferatu Man
So, you don't consider the most famous albums by Sinatra, Miles Davis, Elvis, The Beatles, The Kinks, The Doors, The Byrds, Jimi Hendrix, Love, The Beach Boys, The Velvet Underground, The Who, Leonard Cohen, Simon & Garfunkel, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Led Zeppelin, Johnny Cash, Nick Drake, The Rolling Stones, Black Sabbath, and the Stooges to be "essential" to Pop music?

Who?
Quote by Nosferatu Man

There are 1001 albums on there. 1001. Let that sink in a minute. Even if every one of the artists you listed had 5 albums that were absolutely essential, that would only be 1/10 of the amount of albums on the list.

And I'm sure that it has a lot to do with personal taste, thus rendering my argument invalid, but Out of those, I only consider The Beatles and Led Zeppelin to be essential, and only an album or 2 from each at that.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I only consider The Beatles and Led Zeppelin to be essential, and only an album or 2 from each at that.

wat
Quote by Offworld92
There are 1001 albums on there. 1001. Let that sink in a minute. Even if every one of the artists you listed had 5 albums that were absolutely essential, that would only be 1/10 of the amount of albums on the list.

And I'm sure that it has a lot to do with personal taste, thus rendering my argument invalid, but Out of those, I only consider The Beatles and Led Zeppelin to be essential, and only an album or 2 from each at that.

I do think that 1001 is too big a number for an 'essential' list but that is the whole point of the series, that it be that exact number.

The vast majority of the first 200 albums that you said were 'non-essential', I would consider to be truly essential for a pop music list, and something that everyone interested in pop music, has to listen to.
I'm not Scrolling through all of it, but if it doesn't include any AC/DC albums then it sucks.
Angus = god
Quote by El3ment380
I'm not Scrolling through all of it, but if it doesn't include any AC/DC albums then it sucks.

I've seen Back In black only but then again I still haven't gone through all of it.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
1001 albums X an average of maybe 10 songs per = 10,010 songs (possibly)

10,010 songs X let's say maybe 3 minutes per song = 30,030 minutes (possibly)

30,030 minutes / 60 minutes = 500.5 hours

500.5 hours / 24 hours = 20.8541667 days of music.

Anyone up for the challenge?

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.

-Sloppyjoe24
Quote by sloppyjoe24
1001 albums X an average of maybe 10 songs per = 10,010 songs (possibly)

10,010 songs X let's say maybe 3 minutes per song = 30,030 minutes (possibly)

30,030 minutes / 60 minutes = 500.5 hours

500.5 hours / 24 hours = 20.8541667 days of music.

Anyone up for the challenge?

Meh, that's nothing! You should try listening to Like a Wall in Which an Insect Lives and Gnaws by Bull of Heaven! It's 50,000 hours long!
Quote by Offworld92

I would call the Beach Boys essential way before Zeppelin. It's obviously a matter of taste, since art is subjective. It's just a book. You can go ahead and disagree with it, but there's no reason to cause a stink.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
They used the wrong album art for Franz Ferdinand's first album, they used the artwork from You Could Have It So Much Better
What are you dense?
Are you retarded or something?
Who the hell do you think I am?
I'm the goddamn Batman.

April 19th, 2011: The Night of the Boob

I like this. Very, very happy to see a Blue Cheer album on there; wish they would've put on Outsideinside, but they did put em on there so I'm not gonna complain.

Bert Jansch rules if anyone wanted to know. I'm probably not going to use this. Generally I just wander into a record store and grab things based on whether or not I've never heard of it. I like to learn things that way.
Quote by SaintsofNowhere
I like this. Very, very happy to see a Blue Cheer album on there; wish they would've put on Outsideinside, but they did put em on there so I'm not gonna complain.

Go listen to a band called Flower Travellin Band. Album called Satori. You'll like it. You can find it on youtube.

Also, I'm happy that United States of America's album is on there.

I love Caetano Veloso, but he shouldn't be on there before the Fania All Stars. If I find out no one from Fania is on this list, I'm gonna be pissed.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Last edited by Jack Off Jill at Mar 22, 2011,
the only grip i have with this list is that there are a lot of "one hit wonders" on there. Le Tigre and Soft Cell? I realize there are many great artists that have no hits, but i just find it hard to believe that there are other Soft Cell songs beside "Tainted Love" that anyone reallly cares about.

oh and why stop at 2005?
Awesome, glad to see that "Surfer Rosa" made the list. Probably my favorite Pixies album.
Page 1 of 2