So my girlfriend's birthday is coming up, and every since she moved to her apartment, she can't really play bass. She has a large Fender amp/cab at her mom's house, but it's too bulky and loud to play in an apartment. I was wondering what type of practice amp would be good for her (I know about guitar stuff, but not really about amps).

She likes to play a lot of pop-punk stuff: Greenday, Weezer, Strokes, Muse

She uses some smaller brand bass that sounds good. I think its Carlo Robelli or something like that...

Budget: $300 (could go higher if justified)

What do bass players look for in an amp? Tone, wattage, onboard stuff?

thanks! =)
Epi Sheraton II or MIA FSR strat > wah Q535 > fuzzface > Keeley C4 > Qtron > Whammy > Liquid Chorus > Triboost > Hotcake > BigMuff > Small Stone > VolumePlus > SpaceEcho > Cathedral Reverb > LoFi > MemoryMan > BYOC vibrato > DD-7 > Vox AC15 C1
Epi Sheraton II or MIA FSR strat > wah Q535 > fuzzface > Keeley C4 > Qtron > Whammy > Liquid Chorus > Triboost > Hotcake > BigMuff > Small Stone > VolumePlus > SpaceEcho > Cathedral Reverb > LoFi > MemoryMan > BYOC vibrato > DD-7 > Vox AC15 C1
you could get some pretty nice combos for 300. if you are just looking for in apartment use I would look at nice 30 watt amps
no sir away a papaya war is on
yeah apartment use is the main thing... I mean, she'll occasionally come over to my place and we can jam in the garage, but then 30 watts would be good for apartment use? I know what to expect out of guitar tube amps in terms of wattage = loudness, but not so much for solid state bass amps...
hell just get a peavey max 158 15w and its got some balls. my neighbors bitch about that little beast all the time and gets a nice punk tone when in modern mode. vintage brings the tone to a nice level of thickness for classic rock too. price tag is $100
Quote by Bass First
Rump, a P-bass delivers a rump in the sound such that, similar to the rump on an African American woman, it is the highlight of the tone.
^sounds good, will look into it and try it out. Thanks!
if you have the 300 bucks to spend on it I would spend that much. you can get way better stuff. although that amp is pretty good
no sir away a papaya war is on
If you can find a head with a headphone out, wattage/cabs don't even need to be taken into consideration; that's definitely something to think about.

ex: http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gallien-Krueger-MB200-200W-Ultra-Light-Bass-Amp-Head?sku=423658
Maybe too loud, but you get the idea.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Now from experience, 30w. is plenty for my apartment. I have to tweak the bass and mids down a bit too, the lower freq. really move thru dense sheetrock quite well. However, with a $300 budget, you might as well try for 50-75watts.

Edit: I would go with the Ampeg. For the $$ you get 50 w. and more tonal varieties than most, and imho, a quality amp.
<Insert Witty Comment Here>

1981 Fender Lead I Seymour Duncan humbucker, Mesa BoogieIIIRectifer, MKIIRhodes,PRS
Last edited by loinmute at Mar 23, 2011,
EBS session 60. Perfect.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
There's this on your local craigslist. I'd offer him $300 and then she's got something great for practise and smaller gigs when she doesn't want to lug her bigger rig around. Plus she'll have fun dicking around with all effects too.
Otherwise I believe the GK MB112 runs aout $300 in the states and that would be another great option.

EDIT: Oh, and the Ampeg B series combos are overpriced and sound less than average.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Last edited by consecutive e at Mar 24, 2011,
thanks for all the great advice guys.... yeah I did think about getting a used one, which I agree is definitely more bang for the buck, but I feel kinda iffy about giving something used as a bday present (I personally wouldn't care and would prefer a quality used item to a new crappy one, but you know girls....). I have her big rig at my home now, so I just need something that will be strictly for apartment bedroom practice. I'll go to my local GC and try some amps out this evening. Thanks again =)
tbh I have my big rig in my apartment and it works just fine and never had a complaint from my neighbors, plus it makes a good shelf lol

But then again I don't really have much furniture so that may be why it seems fine and unobtrusive...

I got my Bassman used for like $350 2 years ago and it's probably gone down since then, I'd check to see if you can find one of those. Mine's 150 watts but it's never really been too loud for just quiet practice and the 150 watts gives you enough headroom to take it to band practice and be heard. Just a thought
Here we go again...
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
no!!!!!!!! dont get her a behringer for the love of god!!!!!!! the tone will be enough for her to break up with you over not to mention the shitty qc and the fact that they grossly overrate the wattage. save your relationship, dont buy behringer
Quote by Bass First
Rump, a P-bass delivers a rump in the sound such that, similar to the rump on an African American woman, it is the highlight of the tone.
Orange Crush PiX CR50BXT. Linky

Orange makes some of the best practice amps I've ever heard. It's 50 watts, 1x12" speaker which really gives it some extra low-end oomph that most practice amps lack. And it has a few nifty features like a gain knob and built in tuner.