For three months now I've been playing bass in my band using borrowed equipment. I decided that needs to change, but frankly I have no idea what to put together to get the sound I want. We're an indie band, but I'd like to be able to play punk and pop-punk as well. I exclusively use a pick, if that matters. And my hands are smaller than average.

My budget is around $300-$500 for the bass guitar, and another $200 or so for the amp. I need about a 50W-100W amp, and it needs to be able to handle effect pedals. Also, I prefer a non-Fender style body, but that doesn't mean I'm completely keeping them out of consideration.

Thanks for your help!
Allocate some of that bass money into your amp fund. Look at spending $200-$350 on the bass and tack the extra onto your amp budget.

For a bass, Squier Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe Precision and Jazz basses are easily some of the best low budget basses out there, or if you're willing to go used, a used MIM Fender P or J would be a little bit better (provided you don't get a lemon).

Good low-budget Fender alternatives include Peavey Millenniums, Ibanez SR300's, or a Yamaha RBX374. Again, if you're willing to go used, you can score a better deal and land something like a Peavey Fury or Milestone, a higher end Ibanez, or a Yamaha BB series. All very good basses.

For amps, if you're in the US, Acoustic will give you the most bang for your buck in the under-$500 arena. They're not super stellar amps, but they get the job done, they're inexpensive, and they won't fall apart. Give the B100 and B200s a look. Peavey has some new combos out (Tour TKO and Tour TNT) that look pretty good too.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Go to Guitar Center and play a bunch of basses in 300-400 price range and get a used one as far as that goes.
Quote by Tostitos
Allocate some of that bass money into your amp fund. Look at spending $200-$350 on the bass and tack the extra onto your amp budget.

For a bass, Squier Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe Precision and Jazz basses are easily some of the best low budget basses out there, or if you're willing to go used, a used MIM Fender P or J would be a little bit better (provided you don't get a lemon).

Good low-budget Fender alternatives include Peavey Millenniums, Ibanez SR300's, or a Yamaha RBX374. Again, if you're willing to go used, you can score a better deal and land something like a Peavey Fury or Milestone, a higher end Ibanez, or a Yamaha BB series. All very good basses.

For amps, if you're in the US, Acoustic will give you the most bang for your buck in the under-$500 arena. They're not super stellar amps, but they get the job done, they're inexpensive, and they won't fall apart. Give the B100 and B200s a look. Peavey has some new combos out (Tour TKO and Tour TNT) that look pretty good too.

Great post!

Just to tack on to what you said... OP you said you have failry large hands. Hand size really doesnt matter that much, but if you want a smaller neck. Ibanez typically have fairly thin necks in terms of depth. And a Fender's Jazz bass has a fairly narrow neck in terms of width. Compaired to say a Fender P bass, which has a slightly chunky neck.

If it were me I would take every suggestion everyone has made and will make and go to a local music shop and try every single bass. Mix and match all the bass's and amps you can find. Find the bass/amp combo you think feels and sounds the best. Then once you know exactly what you want, shop around to find the best price. If your willing to go used you can get some great deals, and you may be able to find a great bass for half the price of buying it new!
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.