I have a Dave Mustaine Signature VMNTX, and it used to sound great. Then one day after a string change something went haywire and I've never been abel to figure it out. It went from unbelievable clean tone, to sometimes warbly, not sounding right even with one note being played. I've still been using it because i don't have any other, and it does sound alright i guess if you get used to it, but it's not what it used to be.

So I've had a long-standing issue that I've tried to tackle several times, even paid a guy to help me out but he didn't exactly deliver.

I even posted 2 threads here, but they never seemed to land on the money... the topics got side-tracked, and people weren't understanding what i was talking about.

old threads:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1400648&highlight=chockomonkey
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1374957&highlight=chockomonkey

I've even gone to the extent of recording the problem and sending it to Dean technicians, but they were also unable to help.

So i guess after all this frustration, i'm starting to wonder if i just need to get a new guitar... or maybe new pickups? Problem is, i have no idea where to start. Do i get another 2-$300 guitar? Because i definitely don't want it breaking on me like this one did. If i raise my budget, what do i look for? What makes one guitar better than another? >_>

Input as to where to go now would be great. Thanks!
Last edited by Chockomonkey at Mar 22, 2011,
did you change string gauges? maybe you need some neck relief
why didnt you post the sound sample on this thread?
If you play in standard i recommend 10s .

If you play in drop C like a billion other players on UG i recommend atleast 11s (i prefer a set of not-even slinkys on my drop C guitars)

Changing the pickups will bring your guitar tone to life considerably however for the price of your axe a better guitar would be a wiser choice imo.

Save up and buy something awesome A great guitar really does no harm you know.
Last edited by Rahguzar at Mar 22, 2011,
Quote by SKArface McDank
why didnt you post the sound sample on this thread?
I suppose because I already felt i'd beaten this horse pretty dead... but hey if y'all want to try to pinpoint this issue again, by alllll means! http://files.scottyshideout.com//files/1/Guitar%20Sound%20Sample.mp3

When i first noticed this issue (and it was SO obvious at the time, i was like... wth just happened, this sounds off), the string gauge was not changed. I "touched up" a solder joint inside the guitar, but honestly I've been doing that sort of thing since i was a kid and i know how to make sure i don't mess up a solder joint >_> To further rule this out, i paid some guy 100 bucks to go through the wiring, and make all necessary adjustments to the guitar (to get rid of this problem). When i got it back, the intonation was right on the money, it played great, but that damn undertone was not gone.

I have ruled out the amp by producing this undertone on more than one amp.

I usually play standard--i drop when i have to for songs, but totally skip many because it's too much work to drop tuning.

In the recording above, i focused on the sound occurring on mostly the highest frets (it's where it was most noticeable at the time). However now, it's just as easy to hear playing the high e string at the 12th fret

---

I just threw in an old Echo Darla 24 card in my computer, so i'll throw open audition when i get home from work and grab another recording of this tone on the 12th fret e.... please stand by!
Last edited by Chockomonkey at Mar 22, 2011,
its probably a high fret man, lower end guitars are infamous for them. take a credit card and rest it on 3 frets where it happens the most and see if it teeters on the middle fret, then move it up one, and so on til you find it wobbling, and there's your high fret

hope that wasnt too confusing

yeah thats most likely it, cause in the second sample you can hear when its vibrating the most, (right after you pick the string) the noise is most noticeable but when the vibration starts to die down, you can hear it as much \

hope that makes sense also, you just have to find the high fret and file it a bit, but i wouldnt do that before some research to make sure you dont mess it up
Last edited by SKArface McDank at Mar 22, 2011,
Don't obsess with the sound that much. I agree with what the guy above me said, SKArface McDank. That is probably it.

Gear
Schecter Jeff Loomis NT (7 string bad-ass)
Esp Ltd Deluxe MH-1000 FR
ENGL Screamer 50
Quote by Rangor6363
If you wanna learn how to play something, first you gotta listen it!

Last.fm
I had a similar issue with my ESP/LTD. Some strings have a bad reaction with the pickups. However, I thought the humbuckers in that guitar were passive and I've never heard of passives acting like that. So it's probably that your neck bow/relief was affected by a different string gauge and now there are fret issues.
You said you paid some guy to go over it. You really should take it to a trustworthy, professional guitar tech.

Try the credit card test to check for a high fret first though.
www.miraclemaxmusic.com

"Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it."
Jello Biafra

(so is it dead?)
Bro, have you thought about going back to the other gauge of strings?
Might help.
I am currently getting the same problem.

EDIT: Could also be how far above the pickups the strings are now sitting - due to fiddling with the guitar and the strings having extra tension.
Also, are you getting any sustain issues, like deadened notes, or notes dying off quickly?
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3
Last edited by Nimbus456 at Mar 22, 2011,