I recently made a thread asking for suggestions on Recording Headphones, however I've decided to, instead, invest in a decent pair of monitors.

I understand that "good" active monitors can be a great deal more expensive, versus buying a good amp, and a pair of decent passive monitors. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, my budget is about $250, for the total package. I understand this isn't much, but I don't need incredible, just an improvement on my scratchy ones.

If it makes a difference, I run pro tools LE on a custom built computer.

Thanks in advance!
KRK Rockit 6 Gen 2? Limited editions are 150 each atm.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

Where can I find them? They're sold out on Musicians Friend.

EDIT: Plus, I need a pair. Since the Limited Editions are out of stock, the regular ones would be $400. Not exactly near my budget.
Last edited by whatadrag at Mar 22, 2011,
Dang they sold out? Well there goes my plan of picking some up in two weeks

Those are pretty much the standard low end monitors. Can't go wrong, even with the $400 pair it might just be worth it to save you money. Work 2 more shifts and pick em up.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

$400 is low end. really for 250 you're getting into the bottom of the barrel range... you'll probably have to go for something with a small woofer which will cut down on your bass response a lot (i dont care if it says it can go down to 10hz, it cant handle the lows half as well as an 8 inch).

would it be at all possible to make do with what you have until you can afford something a little better?

most monitors these days are going to be active. at least the budget monitors... if you go passive you'll have to worry about shelling out cash for a decent amp and then worry about pairing the right amp with the speakers you got. i advise active for now.
Have a listen to the Behringer MS20/MS40 monitors. They're decent if you're on a budget, and they have multiple inputs.
hmmm, I suppose I'll just save some more cash. Thanks for the help though guys.
Why not just get Behringer, JBL or Mackie, they all sell very good monitors for under $200 a piece. Behringer B1030A or KRK’s Rokit6 G2 Powered Monitors in pretty much every studio, pro and amateur.

But if you want to be unique and have like the greatest $400+ Speakers go for it. Never really cared for the best speakers because they spoil you and you can't go back to normal speakers every again.
Gallien Krueger is awesome
Last edited by lionslicer9999 at Mar 23, 2011,