The most famous example is Eddie Van Halen with his "Frankenstrat". He pulled items from many different guitars and created a single axe. It's the red/white one with all those cris-cross lines on it.
Ah, right. Brian and his father built the Red Special around 1963, with some of the wood coming from a fireplace mantle.
Quote by gquady09
Ah, right. Brian and his father built the Red Special around 1963, with some of the wood coming from a fireplace mantle.

and because of this, there are allegedly 2 wormholes in the neck
Quote by valterra
You traded him a sword for the guitar? You do realize that a smart person would just agree to the trade, take the sword, slay you with it, keep all of the loot and call it a day, right?

....What are they teaching you kids in school these days?!
I know slash at the time around his first big hits with GNR was customizing his LP quite frequently with choosing different pups and so fourth.
But thats the thing... switching out pickups is something that probably 90% of all guitarists do at some point or another. I don't care about what guitarists customized, because in reality if they are a career musician then probably 100% of them have modded their guitars.

I'm talking about BUILDING their guitars. From scratch.
Quote by distortion896
and because of this, there are allegedly 2 wormholes in the neck

badass... we need to tell the world's physicists about this...

as has been said brain may. there are a lot who have modded them to hell and back but I can't think of any who have built than other than him.
no sir away a papaya war is on
quite frankly...im sure they would much rather have a professional build them for them so they can focus on performing....

may not have started that wya but unfortunately it seems ppl tend to get swept into everything
I know gilmour has modded the hell out of his black strat. At one point he routed out the bridge for a kahler trem system and then decided to go back to the fender trem and filled in the routing cavity with sawdust and glue and painted over the top of it. Not many I know who have made a guitar from scratch though, apart from brian may...
Quote by matt154
I know gilmour has modded the hell out of his black strat. At one point he routed out the bridge for a kahler trem system and then decided to go back to the fender trem and filled in the routing cavity with sawdust and glue and painted over the top of it. Not many I know who have made a guitar from scratch though, apart from brian may...

Impressive that sawdust and glue holds that well... I wouldn't have thought of that...
george lynch builds his own guitars right now ( mrscaryguitars.com ) as a hobby, though im not sure if he records/tours with them
Quote by valterra
You traded him a sword for the guitar? You do realize that a smart person would just agree to the trade, take the sword, slay you with it, keep all of the loot and call it a day, right?

....What are they teaching you kids in school these days?!
Quote by lozlovesstrats
badass... we need to tell the world's physicists about this...

Brian May has a degree in astrophysics, he probably knows all about those wormholes by now!

Does Rivers Cumos' Warmoth count?
I pride myself on my humility.
Last edited by mtshark at Mar 24, 2011,
Quote by jlangholzj
I know slash at the time around his first big hits with GNR was customizing his LP quite frequently with choosing different pups and so fourth.

According to what he wrote in his book, his first real Les Paul wasn't even a Gibson. It was made by someone near LA.
Quote by gquady09
The most famous example is Eddie Van Halen with his "Frankenstrat". He pulled items from many different guitars and created a single axe. It's the red/white one with all those cris-cross lines on it.

I'd say the most famous from scratch is probably Brian May, Eddie's is parts'd together but May's is completely from scratch.
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212