I have to do a 15 page paper for my Microeconomics class in which I have to choose a successful company and give reasons why that company is succesfull or chose a company that has gone under and state what they did wrong. My initial choice was Apple because I felt that would be the easiest one to do the assignment on but I can't find a lot of information. There are a lot of reasons like marketing, innovation etc...and I will use these reasons but I also need actual economic terms, numbers etc and I can't find that anywhere. Does anyone know where I can find such information? I've tried search engines but they always give me the same thing. Also, if anyone has any suggestions for another company I could do my paper on, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advanced
BAE Systems, my current employer. One of the largest defence companies on earth, and currently building THE most advanced destroyer warships on the planet, at the companies Glasgow shipyards, where i work as an engineer. i believe in karma at the moment so i could try and help any way u want? lol
Dom, look... I Caught a PWOPER fish
Sega would be a good subject (In europe atleast, i understand it didn't fair so well in the states).
But they started as a tiny company making coin operated "games" in the 40's eventually growing to take on the might of Nintendo before losing the plot in the dying days of the 16 bit era (32x, Sega CD anyone?)
Tried to claw back into the cd based market with the saturn and dreamcast, being beaten out again by the playstation and n64 before calling it a day and retiring their consoles to concentrate on software alone.

Theres plenty of info on sega on the tinterwebs so i ain't gonna do your homework for you, just a suggestion.
Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
I'd choose Manchester United FC and I'm being totally serious. There is loads of information about their finances and really obvious examples of why they have been successful in tackling the South East Asian market and gathering worldwide appeal. You can also talk about what has happened to them since the Glazer takeover and how, despite the fact it has landed them in serious debt the club will still prove to be a great investment.

You will have to do an awful lot of research but it could be quite fun.
Quote by alkalineweeman
Sega would be a good subject (In europe atleast, i understand it didn't fair so well in the states).
But they started as a tiny company making coin operated "games" in the 40's eventually growing to take on the might of Nintendo before losing the plot in the dying days of the 16 bit era (32x, Sega CD anyone?)
Tried to claw back into the cd based market with the saturn and dreamcast, being beaten out again by the playstation and n64 before calling it a day and retiring their consoles to concentrate on software alone.

Theres plenty of info on sega on the tinterwebs so i ain't gonna do your homework for you, just a suggestion.

This is also a good suggestion that examines both sides of the coin.
BAE would be great. The opportunities they gave to locals - students, apprentices etc. is incredible
IBM...for I have a case study to do on them..
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
Apple is successful because it leaves out important features from their products so they can add them on next year with the new model.
Mojang specifications!
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Halliburton
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
What level of Microeconomics are you at? University class, high school class...?

What businesses/business sectors interest you? There are technology companies like BAE, financial companies (lots of variation here, e.g. Nationwide vs BNP Paribas), consultancies etc etc etc.
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
Oh, do it on Vivid Video or some other adult movie company.
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
You came to a guitar site for help, so I'll give you what appears to be, in my opinion, the most obvious suggestion.........Gibson, Fender, ESP, Ibanez, B.C. Rich...........pick a company!
Some people just wanna watch the world burn. Wanna join me when I take my turn to pour the gas, light the match, see your world flip upside down and drop until it's inside out?
Quote by Sewn Up
You came to a guitar site for help, so I'll give you what appears to be, in my opinion, the most obvious suggestion.........Gibson, Fender, ESP, Ibanez, B.C. Rich...........pick a company!

Nice pun...
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.