Should I start saving up for a pair of EMG pickups(81/60) or a Marshall JCM 800 amp (or is there anything better to play metal with?)
I am in the middle of frikkin nowhere so shipping's gonna be a biatch. :P

Thanks
Quote by Ohaithur
What gear do you have now and what bands do you want to sound like?

Jackson RR3
Fender Frontman 15G
Kirk Hammet sig wah
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff w/top boost

Well I want to get a heavy sound, like the tone on master of puppets(metallica).
it's always better to have a great amp and crappy pickups than to have a crappy amp and great pickups, because the amp has a much bigger effect on tone than pickups could ever hope to have, so get a new amp.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
or take that fender frontman you already have, cut the hell out of the speaker, and play some friggin' blues!
Quote by theogonia777
it's always better to have a great amp and crappy pickups than to have a crappy amp and great pickups, because the amp has a much bigger effect on tone than pickups could ever hope to have, so get a new amp.

Yea I thought so... :/
So is a JCM 800 ok? or should I get something else?
a boosted 800 will definately do the old school thrash. look into an eq pedal as well.

try it out and try out other amps as well
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Randall has a Kirk Hammett signature amp out now. There's also a ton of good amps that can get a JCM800-like tone.

To go find a used JCM800 is going to be expensive and not only that, volume-wise it's gonna be overkill unless you are playing clubs. To go from a 15watt solid state to a 100watt tube stack is quite a jump.
www.miraclemaxmusic.com

"Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it."
Jello Biafra

(so is it dead?)
if you are talking about the Randall MTS kirk hammet tube half stack yes awesome amp not worth the price though
the solid state kirk hammet signature not so awesome...down right overpriced and crappy

look into
bugera 333xl: this amp can pull of just about any tone u need
randall rt 50 or the randall rt 503: its a randall it has plenty of gain and they sound good
peavey xxx: another amp that can do just about anything
peavey 3120: same as the xxx
crate blue voodoo: i find the amp to be very versatile and i have to throw it up there cuz i own one.

any tube amp you buy is going to have a considerable volume jump from what you are playing now. 30w,50w,100w it is essentially all the same volume its all about the headroom with that.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
amp forsure, and you can always go for some other type of pickups later, something cheaper then EMG's if u want both
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
amp. i can't tell you what type because i don't play metal but i have tried the frontman and you really need a new amp thats all i can say your current one sucks that bad
[Cool Post-N00b of the Pedalboard Thread]
Guitars:Fender Am. Standard Telecaster, Gibson SG
Amp:Fender Blues Jr.
Pedals:EQD Dream Crusher->Polytune->PH-1r->Fulldrive 2->Barber LTD->Catalinbread DLS->CE-3->Strymon El Capistan->EQD Ghost Echo
amp. if you tell us you're budget and if you want to cover more than old school metallica then you'll get a few more suggestions
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by JAHellraiser
amp. if you tell us you're budget and if you want to cover more than old school metallica then you'll get a few more suggestions

No budget, just starting to save up for an amp.

Well aside from Metallica........ Megadeth, Pantera, Iron Maiden, Slayer etc
Quote by theogonia777

+10,000

However, your possibilities are endless. My suggestion wait until you see a used VHT Deliverance head. Ive seen them go for $750 and it is a magnificant beast.

The JCM 800 is awesome as well. Really one of the very few marshalls that can do metal well.

If you want the really "old school" tone you can look into a Crate Stealth (ill sell you mine) lol it does old metallica perfectly.

Or you can find a used Ampeg VH140-C for around $400.

Certain randalls are good. I would stay away from any Peavy over hyped imo.
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness