Page 1 of 2
My two main guitars both have EMG81/85, but I find myself playing more and more rock and hard rock, not metal. Although gloriously brutal for high high gain, I find them too compressed, smooth and tight for rock and 80s tones. Rhythms are lifeless, and leads thin and compressed. So, I decided to switch them out on one of my guitars!

Before you say try the 18v mod, the cavity is too small for 2 batteries. I'd rather not do any routing.

Here goes, I'm looking for more open sounding, so less compressed pickups for rock and 80s metal. Think def leppard, skid row. I also want them to growl, not too smooth sounding. Output must be pretty high, I love my palm mutes, and I want my harmonics to scream. May be a bit lower than my EMGs ofcourse, but not by that much.

They'll go into a mahogany body guitar with a maple top, and rosewood fingerboard. I've found that with EMGs this guitar is incredibly balanced; all my settings on the ENGL are pretty much noon. Should keep that in mind, and not be overly bright or bassy.

Please, only suggestions you've heard extensively. Its for a mahogany body guitar, so nothing too bassy.

Thanks!
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Mar 22, 2011,
Id try some dimarzios
Gear:
Marshall haze40
Yamaha GA15
Line 6 pod GX
Ibanez PGM301
Yamaha self customized EG012
Jackson KVX10
Boss DS1
GE 7
BD2
CS3
Vox satchurator
Home made TS808
Belcat delay
Seymour duncan blackouts!! I have not heard anything bad about them, they sound more natural then EMGs.
150 euro per pickup limit, so yes in range of BKP and the likes. My current top pick is actually a BKP Miracle Man overwound with a SD SH-2n, but I keep hearing extremely mixed reviews.
WTLTL 2011
Check out the Dimarzio Evolutions. They have a lot of presence so that your sound cuts through, the top end screams and have solid bass response. I think you might want to try out the original Evo, not the Evo 2 being that it's a little less powerful.
Gear:
ESP LTD MH-417
Marshall JVM210H
Marshall 1960A 4x12 Cab
Have you contacted the guys at BKP to see what they think would fit you best from their line?
Quote by Sputnik1
Have you contacted the guys at BKP to see what they think would fit you best from their line?

Awaiting a reply, but I don't know. Seems that he always recommends painkillers as a replacement for EMGs when I know for a fact they aren't like EMGs at all...much more low-low mids.
WTLTL 2011
Nailbombs would be great, I've got one in the bridge of my S. Obviously my amp isn't ideal for those tones, but I can certainly get similar sorts of tones with the Nailbomb. They're hot, but very dynamic too, not very compressed sounding, with plenty of clarity.
The Miracle Man would also be worth a look, they're a little hotter than the Nailbombs.
Last edited by littlephil at Mar 22, 2011,
miracle man would work, but might be a little smooth. it's also a bit scooped for my liking for more classic rock.

i haven't tried any of the other bkp bridge pickups, so i can't really help... if you do decide to go with them, i would head over to the bkp forum to ask there, and email tim for advice.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Mark G
Thanks, will do. Anything outside the BKP range to recommend?

my slightly underwound (for balance with neck pup) Nailbomb does it well.

but the HFS in my custom 24 does it better.

both a good with downtunings fwiw.

also check rockmonkey, they custom wind pups in the UK.

or score a HFS off the bay, try one in a local shop first. damn good pup.

i'm surprised nobody came in screaming "JB!" yet. i'm not a huge fan of the JB myself, others love the thing. watevs..
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
my slightly underwound (for balance with neck pup) Nailbomb does it well.

but the HFS in my custom 24 does it better.

both a good with downtunings fwiw.

also check rockmonkey, they custom wind pups in the UK.

or score a HFS off the bay, try one in a local shop first. damn good pup.

i'm surprised nobody came in screaming "JB!" yet. i'm not a huge fan of the JB myself, others love the thing. watevs..

Tim just replied to my email. Very fast! Great customer service in any case. He recommended me the ceramic nailbomb. Not sure if I agree with that, I've heard it is a very muddy pickup. Bit worrying in a mahogany guitar.

I still have a JB lying around, wasn't a fan back when I had it in my guitar. Was a bit shrill
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Mar 23, 2011,
is the main aim rock or 80s metal?

what do you mean by rock and 80s metal (lol)?

EDIT: yeah not a gigantic fan of the jb either. I'm not as down on it as i used to be (at one point i positively hated it), i mean it's useable, but not much more. It's like it's always too bright and muddy at the same time.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
fwiw i don't think tim is wrong all that often.

i'm sure you told him it was a majogany guitar but i have to ask.
Quote by dlowe102
dimarzio super distortions...ruled the 80's

in basswood guitars...
Well I'm not too familiar with 80's music other than RATT and Mötley Crüe, but I'd probably throw a JB in there because of its brightness. I have one in my C-1+, which is also Mahogany, Maple Top, Rosewood Fingerboard, and it's daaamn bright. I'd love to get them replaced, to be honest.
Another unoriginal prog head.
i got alnico nalbombs in mine, think it would be nice for what you want i also have a mahogany gutiar with maple top and rosewood fingerboard, and these pups seems to be what you want from your desciption, the alnico arent muddy like the ceramic, alnico fuller mids also which is nice for some rock/hairmetal, and enugh output to give nice palmutes and harmonics
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard
Powered by CAA OD100 standard+ , Mesa 2x12
Affected by Maxon OD808, Mad Professor Deep blue delay

Last edited by Jaekae at Mar 23, 2011,
Apparantly, the JB with 250k pots doesn't have that horrible shrill sound I (and many others here) usually associate with it and sounds much better, so who knows, maybe that's the secret to making it sound like the guys in the 80s did.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Quote by Prophet of Page
Apparantly, the JB with 250k pots doesn't have that horrible shrill sound I (and many others here) usually associate with it and sounds much better, so who knows, maybe that's the secret to making it sound like the guys in the 80s did.

I was just about to say that
Try the JB with 250k pots, it does make a big difference.
Quote by littlephil
I was just about to say that
Try the JB with 250k pots, it does make a big difference.

Great minds and all that...

Quote by Dave_Mc
is the main aim rock or 80s metal?

what do you mean by rock and 80s metal (lol)?

EDIT: yeah not a gigantic fan of the jb either. I'm not as down on it as i used to be (at one point i positively hated it), i mean it's useable, but not much more. It's like it's always too bright and muddy at the same time.

Hahahaha I used to play brutal down tuned metal...which I'm not ready to abandon yet. Whatever pickup I get, it needs to be able to handle such metal.

However, 90% of what I play currently is more along the lines of Def Leppard, Ratt, Skid Row, Scorpions. Raunchy 80s rock and metal.

I need a pickup that excells at that stuff! A clear and raw enough rhythm with if possible harmonically rich leads.

My concern is boominess, my guitar can get pretty boomy so this is something I want to prevent.

Quote by gregs1020
fwiw i don't think tim is wrong all that often.

i'm sure you told him it was a majogany guitar but i have to ask.

I did, and he recommended the nailbomb. I would go for it, but I've heard reports of it being muddy

Quote by Prophet of Page

Too many options
WTLTL 2011
so not so much compression, open sounding and wide, but not boomy?

put down the hollowbody Ted.

i wouldn't think alnicos honestly, i'd think ceramic. i think my NBs are ceramic tbh.

tuned a step down it's motley crue all day long bro jangles.
Pots are cheaper than pickups. Seeing as you have the JB lying around, I'd try that with the 250k pot first and see what I thought of it.
The ceramic Nailbomb is slightly higher output, a bit more compressed and tighter. Shouldn't be boomy though, or muddy IMO.
Mine's alnico, its very dynamic and open sounding. Not muddy, but then I'm using a Mark IV, which is notoriously un-muddy.
I find the Gibson 57 classics an absolute perfect match for 80's metal. They can hit on the cleans for stuff like Dokken or Cinderella, and sound great for the crunch stuff.
Quote by dlowe102

these or PAF +. a medium output pickup is what you need. the super distortions were used in plenty of LPs as well as basswood guitars.
Quote by gregs1020
so not so much compression, open sounding and wide, but not boomy?

put down the hollowbody Ted.

i wouldn't think alnicos honestly, i'd think ceramic. i think my NBs are ceramic tbh.

tuned a step down it's motley crue all day long bro jangles.

Are your ceramics in a mahogany body/maple top guitar? I'm beginning to lean this direction. Still the voice nagging in my head to go MM

Quote by Prophet of Page
Pots are cheaper than pickups. Seeing as you have the JB lying around, I'd try that with the 250k pot first and see what I thought of it.

Not a bad idea, will probably do that
Quote by littlephil
The ceramic Nailbomb is slightly higher output, a bit more compressed and tighter. Shouldn't be boomy though, or muddy IMO.
Mine's alnico, its very dynamic and open sounding. Not muddy, but then I'm using a Mark IV, which is notoriously un-muddy.

Alright lets talk 5A vs. C magnets, I'm liking the higher output and tightness of ceramic, but I understand alnico is more open sounding and warmer? Not cool, 1st seems rhythm oriented second leads. I want both
Quote by monwobobbo
these or PAF +. a medium output pickup is what you need. the super distortions were used in plenty of LPs as well as basswood guitars.

Love the rawness of PAFs, but last time I tried them in a LP I thought they were too loose for metal.
WTLTL 2011
^The Alnico is definitely great for both rhythm and leads, and I'd say the ceramic would be too. I prefer the Nailbomb in my S to the Dimarzio D-Sonic I had in there (ceramic) for both rhythm and leads.
The C-Bomb is still a dynamic pickup, it isn't overly compressed. I think you'd be more happy with it, but either would still be great.
Well, I'll only throw this out there since no one else did but if you need another pup co to look at I do suggest Duncan. Custom 5 or Alt 8 (SH15 I think). You'd have to give them a jingle. I personally like my SH11 but may be too boomy in your guitar. I do play a lot of the type of music you are going after Output is around 14k. Alt 8 is closer to 16k.

no direct experience with the Bare Knuckles. Ratt and Skid Row FTW
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Well, I'll only throw this out there since no one else did but if you need another pup co to look at I do suggest Duncan. Custom 5 or Alt 8 (SH15 I think). You'd have to give them a jingle. I personally like my SH11 but may be too boomy in your guitar. I do play a lot of the type of music you are going after Output is around 14k. Alt 8 is closer to 16k.

no direct experience with the Bare Knuckles. Ratt and Skid Row FTW

I'll have a look! Although at this point I think I'll go for the C-bomb, I think it'll be a good fit for my needs and guitar.

My main problem now would be which pickup cover! I'd LOVE to have a pair of camo etched in my guitar...but the SD jazz I have is gold cover. Would be stupid to buy an expensive as hell pickup just for the cover if I already have a SD jazz.

:S

*edit*

Never mind, I should be able to just order the pickup cover and have a local tech install it on the SD jazz!
WTLTL 2011
Quote by dlowe102

^ This. I've got a Super Distortion in the bridge of my Les Paul, anything from soft rock to high gain metal sounds great, but its particularly awesome for Maiden!
Joe Satriani isn't a man, but a god.
Yes mark my guitar is a mahogany body with maple cap. A bit late but.

Oh, and 311 has played it. . So he lied, he's heard ratt first hand on it. hehe
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ hit Phil up for a distressed camo pup cover

Oh yeah. Or burnt chrome Or distressed burnt chrome. Or whatever you want
I could drag it down a gravel road if you want, give it a genuine 'road worn' look
Quote by littlephil
Oh yeah. Or burnt chrome Or distressed burnt chrome. Or whatever you want
I could drag it down a gravel road if you want, give it a genuine 'road worn' look

Not sure if serious

BKP just replied to me, and they won't sell me a pickup cover to fit to my SD Jazz.
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Mar 24, 2011,
Page 1 of 2