I just ordered a ITS8 tubescreamer clone from General Guitar Gadgets. Has anyone one here built one of these before, and how well does it compare to the original ts808?
What's the difference between a chickpea and a lentil?
I've never paid to have a lentil on my face!
I haven't bought any of the GGG kits bit i have built replicas based on their schematics. I also own an original TS808.
People say the JRC4558D chip is meant to be the main source of the pedal's tone but I'm not that sure about that, as most of the features that made it famous are down to the careful choice of values of the components as well as the overall circuit design. If the circuit they have matches the original including the values of all the components i'm fairly confident you can get an almost identical tone out of the replica. I say go for it.
Awesome, just had a look on the bill of materials for the clone and the chip used is indeed the JRC4558D. I'm currently considering whether to use two 1N914s for the assymetric clipping mod, or to just use the one and leave it standard. Anyone know how would this affect the sound? (I will be using the pedal to push my JCM900 harder for heavier sounds).
What's the difference between a chickpea and a lentil?
I've never paid to have a lentil on my face!
Assymetric clipping clips the waveform unequally and as a result is meant to sound a bit more agressive. The original 808 had symmetrical clipping which made it sery smooth sounding and very similar to the distortion made by tubes. Boss and many others use assymetric clipping instead. Depends on the sound you're going for..
Quote by Jason43
There's entirely too much hype concerning the 4558 IC. The majority of TS' tone comes from it's circuit, not the 4558, which is obscenely overrated.

I agree. It's the clever design of the circuit that made it good and you should be able to get just as good a sound regardless of what opamp chip you use.