I've always been drawn to bass guitar since my younger bro began learning it, even after I bought several guitars of my own, and since I've been getting somewhat bored with regular guitar, I want to learn bass. Thus I'm in the market for a new one for myself when I go off to college in a few months. Most of the music I play is alternative or experimental, and I like both the super-clean tones similar to Justin Chancellor, as well as the distorted sound of Chris Wolstenholme. I'm willing to buy used, and my price range is up to about $400. Any suggestions?
Any technique advice on playing bass is also welcome; I like fingerstyle but I get the feeling my fingers aren't strong enough, or that my hand position isn't right.
Quote by Jackal58
I eat dead meat all the time. You don't have to chase it around your plate and it doesn't try to peck your eyes out.

It Happens.

My Gear:

-Custom Fender MIM Black Strat
-Mesa/Boogie Rect-O-Verb
-Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Without knowing more details I'd probably recommend a Fender Jazz bass. They have a nice clean "standard" bass sound, you'll struggle to find a genre a Jazz bass won't work in, and the thin neck would probably be comfortable for someone coming from guitar. I'm not really too sure how the prices are in the States, but I'd recommend looking at a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz bass, or alternatively if you could afford one within budget, perhaps a second hand Highway One Jazz bass.

As far as technique goes - of course your fingers won't feel strong enough yet. That's something that comes with time and practise, you won't have it straight off the bat. I'd definitely recommend working on it however.
First things first, have a read through the FAQ. A lot of the info you need is in there. Are you planning on getting an amp too? Remember to include that in your budget.

Fretting technique is pretty much the same as guitar, it's just you need to get used to the different scale lengt, and obviously it takes more force to fret the strings. You get used to it fairly quickly though and it shouldn't be a problem. If you're worried about whether your technique is ok though, if you know anyone who's an expierenced bass player then ask them to check your technique, or better still, find yourself ateacher to take lessons from.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
^^Thanks. The Jazz Bass was one of my options that I was considering; for help, I think $400 USD is somewhere around 600 GBP, probably a little less.

^I'm not entirely sure about the amp situation, since the lead guitarist in my band owns a really nice Mesa bass amp & he'll let me borrow it, but I know I need one for practicing, and I was looking into one of the cheaper Ampeg combos. And I actually just remembered, I've got a friend whose dad plays bass for our church, so I'll see if I can ask him for advice.
Quote by Jackal58
I eat dead meat all the time. You don't have to chase it around your plate and it doesn't try to peck your eyes out.

It Happens.

My Gear:

-Custom Fender MIM Black Strat
-Mesa/Boogie Rect-O-Verb
-Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Last edited by EvilAngel93 at Mar 22, 2011,
400 USD is about 250 GBP, 280 euro, 395 AUD, and 390 CAD.
Quote by dann_blood
Proof he's a communist! He finally comes out, the nazi!
Quote by EvilAngel93
^^Thanks. The Jazz Bass was one of my options that I was considering; for help, I think $400 USD is somewhere around 600 GBP, probably a little less.

You got it the wrong way round - the pound is worth more than the dollar (or used to be anyway, barely any more, thanks Mr Brown). $400 is about £245. What I was referring to is that the actual value of things varies a lot from the States to the UK. Most products made in America retail a lot cheaper over your end of the pond than they do over here.

^I'm not entirely sure about the amp situation, since the lead guitarist in my band owns a really nice Mesa bass amp & he'll let me borrow it, but I know I need one for practicing, and I was looking into one of the cheaper Ampeg combos. And I actually just remembered, I've got a friend whose dad plays bass for our church, so I'll see if I can ask him for advice.

Don't bother with the cheaper Ampeg lines. Ampeg make great high end products (or did before they took all the production to Vietnam) but the cheaper stuff doesn't fare too well against some of the other stuff in that sort of price range. Honestly for an amp on a budget, I'd look at some mid-80's solid state stuff second hand. You can pick up some real bargains, with enough power to compete, and that stuff's built to last. Look at Laney, as an example.
I'm more of an Ibanez guy, always have been, they just have a distinct sound, incredible balance between hi's, mid's and lo's with minimal eq-ing. And they have inexpensive modles like the SR series, which are just as comparable in sound and quality as the more expensive models, the draw back to them, (in my opinion) is they are short scale, but still a great bass, I have one and I still play it regularly.
Last edited by johnnynausea at Mar 23, 2011,