I've begun teaching an 8 year old boy how to play guitar, he shows alot of interest in the instrument but not so much in music. He listens to mostly black eye'd peas and other hip hop stuff that isn't oriented much towards guitar. I've been trying to work with him, giving him songs to look up to see if he likes them or not but he usually doesn't follow through with it.

I don't want to force him into learning songs he doesn't like and i don't want to teach him boring patterns at such. I did teach him the smoke on the water intro riff, he liked it cause it requires minimal effort and is very easy. When I tried to teach him the rest of the songs the power chords were too hard ( which results in him not practicing them).

I'm just looking for some advice on some songs that are very very very easy to show him, possibly not including power chords just yet. Single note patterns would be great. I just want him to spark some most interest

thanks alot guys
Whats the longest word?

Quote by timzee117
smiles

because theres a mile between the two s's!

/killme
the beginning of one by metallica seems pretty simple
nothing else matters by metallica also
Breaking the law by judas priest has a simple intro too

EDIT_____________________
You could also bring in an Ipod or Mp3 and some speaker and show him some songs
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
Last edited by Metallicuh at Mar 22, 2011,
thats whats on the lesson plan for tomorrow haha, i find that the way he works (as with most kids his age) is if he doesn't master it in 3 seconds he wont ever play it after i leave
Whats the longest word?

Quote by timzee117
smiles

/killme
Blister in the sun by the violent femmes
come as you are by nirvana
sweet child o' mine by guns n' roses
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel
Music is just wiggly air. Accept it or leave it.

Also please visit this thread and help me tab out an album!!!
thread.
Just ask him what songs he likes with guitar in them.
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel
Music is just wiggly air. Accept it or leave it.

Also please visit this thread and help me tab out an album!!!
thread.
he really doesn't like any "bands". I'm putting him together a sampler cd of some different types of stuff to see what dirrection he likes.

I really appriciate the help guys,
Whats the longest word?

Quote by timzee117
smiles

/killme
I found the perfect song, beverly hills by weezer. I've also put your guys suggestions on the cd i'll use tomorrow. thanks alot
Whats the longest word?

Quote by timzee117
smiles

/killme
to me if he like music that doesn't have alot of guitars. then there's no point on teaching him. if he's interested in music genres that uses guitars then there's hope. since he's 8 years old i think that he has not yet expanded his musical taste but it'll grow in the coming years
Even songs without guitar in them (often) have a recognisable chord progression.
IIRC "where is the love" by the black eyed peas is just a I V vi IV, like most pop songs. Dunno if an eight year old would have heard the only decent song by black eyed peas though...
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
maybe you will ask the boy about what he want to play
if he loves black eye peas
its grate music to play
a lot of funk stuff
and after you will catch his attention
you can teach him what ever you want
I would either teach him the melody to the songs he likes that don't have guitars, the chord progression or both. I think it's important to keep him interested. Just because he's not picking any guitar based music now doesn't mean he won't in the future if you inspire him.
This is a bit late now. But teach him the stuff he likes!

Well, I'd suggest (though you probably already have) teaech him the basics of chords and scales first (lke the very basics of course!) then ask him to pick a song.

Hip Hop may not have a strict guitar part, but there is music to it, and as the guitar is a musical instrument it will be able to play this.

If the kid wants to learn guitar don't force him to play metallica (no idea why metallica has been a suggestion to be honest, it's not even close to rnb or hip hop!) that's just foolish, I'm sure if I was told to learn something I didn't want to when I started I wouldn't have stuck at it for 5 and a half years and be making a small bit of cash from it!

If you're really stuck for stuff, look into some early RnB stuff which has a fair bit of guitar in it.
Like Thin Lizzy, Bootsy Collins, Rick James, etc etc.
if he likes black eyed peas, why don't you figure out some black eyed peas.... also if he likes hip hop stuff you can teach him some outkast stuff as well... idk there are plenty of hip hop songs you can teach him.....
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.