Hey all, i am going to buy a jet city jca2112rc to replace my peavey bandit 112. i was looking at the el84 power tubes and came across something that i didnt know, and i cant find online.

there are soft medium and hard tubes... whats that mean?

i also noticed duet and quartet... quartet is over twice as much! do they sounds beter or what? HELP!

thanks
Cort KX1Q w/ Seymour Duncan Jazz/JB
Fender Standard Stratocaster Plus Top - Aged Cherry Burst with Maple Fingerboard
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Florentine PRO Hollowbody - Faded Cherry Sunburst w/ Seymour Duncan SH-55's

Mesa Boogie Mark V 35 Head
Orange PPC112 - 60W 1x12" V30 Cabinet
Two Notes Torpedo Live
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus Universal Power Supply

Boss TU3 Chromatic Tuner -> Whirlwind Red Box Compressor -> Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive -> MXR Custom Badass '78 Distortion -> Vick Audio '73 Ram's Head -> loop -> Whirlwind Orange Box Phaser -> Mooer Eleclady Flanger -> Strymon Flint Tremolo and Reverb -> MXR Carbon Copy Delay -> MXR 10-Band EQ
Duet and Quartet refer to the number of tubes you're getting. Powertubes come in pairs for lower wattage amps and as quads for higher powered ones.

I'm pretty certain that the softness scale (S, M, H) refers to how you bias the amp, with softer tubes being able to accept a wider range of voltages than harder ones. I just don't remember what the difference in sound is.

PS: Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Soft break up the soonest, hard break up the latest. A duet is two tubes and a quartet is four.
Quartet is 4 tubes, Duet is 2, they cost twice as much because your getting twice as many tubes. Also I doubt you would need to replace the tubes already in the Jet City.

Edit: ****ing double ninja'd.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
okay thanks. i'm not replacing the tubes yet, i just wanted to know for future reference. the duet quartet thing makes sense haha! i'll stick with mediums just to be safe. thanks everyone! i knew it was a newbie question lol
Cort KX1Q w/ Seymour Duncan Jazz/JB
Fender Standard Stratocaster Plus Top - Aged Cherry Burst with Maple Fingerboard
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Florentine PRO Hollowbody - Faded Cherry Sunburst w/ Seymour Duncan SH-55's

Mesa Boogie Mark V 35 Head
Orange PPC112 - 60W 1x12" V30 Cabinet
Two Notes Torpedo Live
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus Universal Power Supply

Boss TU3 Chromatic Tuner -> Whirlwind Red Box Compressor -> Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive -> MXR Custom Badass '78 Distortion -> Vick Audio '73 Ram's Head -> loop -> Whirlwind Orange Box Phaser -> Mooer Eleclady Flanger -> Strymon Flint Tremolo and Reverb -> MXR Carbon Copy Delay -> MXR 10-Band EQ
damn, i have never even heard of soft, medium and hard to describe tubes.

no one seemed to mention the tubes sold as 'duets and quartets' are generally 'matched' (have very close functional properties) so they can be used in push/pull power sections.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae