Hey,

Just wondering what combinations you guys use out there to get some sweet tones Yes, I know there are other threads, but I want as much input as I can get. Any distorted tone at all, blues to, whatever

*Please, don't say "Twins can't do dist, get a Marshall". I've seen and heard people use them, with pedals, they can*
I love it when I can get to a space big enough to turn it up loud, around 6 or 7 those twins just scream.

Pedal wise my favorite is using an Analogman King Of Tone and a touch of delay (I use a Deluxe Memory Man). If the King of Tone isn't around a Tubescreamer really pushes the mids and adds a mean growl to the Twin.
Gear:
Fender Stratocaster
Silvertone 1448L
TC Electronic Polytune
Fender Blues Jr.
More in profile...
Quote by PedroLesPaulVM
I love it when I can get to a space big enough to turn it up loud, around 6 or 7 those twins just scream.

Pedal wise my favorite is using an Analogman King Of Tone and a touch of delay (I use a Deluxe Memory Man). If the King of Tone isn't around a Tubescreamer really pushes the mids and adds a mean growl to the Twin.

Sweet man! If only they did stuff in the UK... What kind of stuff do you play?

(Side note; Is that, the dude? )
I put my dba fuzz war through my mates twin and it was. Beastly as all hell. The headroom meant that the crazy high output of the fuzz war didnt drive the twin so you just got the beastly sound of the pedal.

Also i have found fuzzes work much better with the twin then distortions but thats probably just me.
Last edited by joe_k at Mar 22, 2011,
Quote by joe_k
I put my dba fuzz war through my mates twin and it was. Beastly as all hell. The headroom meant that the crazy high output of the fuzz war didnt drive the twin so you just got the beastly sound of the pedal.

Also i have found fuzzes work much better with the twin then distortions but thats probably just me.

I use a Big Muff Pi, and with a lil' tweaking it sounds sweet! Can hear all the imperfections and perfections of the sound, the amp really brings it to life!

That being said, I have a RI, which apparently sucks compared to an origional, but hey, I love mine
EH Metal Muff. don't let the name scare you this pedal does a lot of different distortion sounds. the 3 band EQ just totally rocks for fine tuning your tone. not the best for just on the edge of breakup sounds though. really nice sustain for single notes kind of what has been described as violin like.
I get a real nice bluesy-rock tone out of my Twin using a Keeley Blues Driver
Main Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster and Stratocaster
Dr. Z Maz 18 Jr. NR, Vintage Fender Twin Reverb (early SF)
Effects from Wampler, Keeley, and others

Session Guitarist out of Pittsburgh
Oh boy, i get sonic bliss with my Twin. My Russian Big Muff Pi and Lovepedal Englishman make good sounds. For my band, I NEVER use it clean. It is the best if you have a good dirt pedal.
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

Not to thread jack, but this is interesting to me. Any Twin-fluenced amps that are a bit lighter and lower in wattage? I have some rather midrange-heavy dirt pedals on me that I know would work great with that sort of voicing. Twins are cool, but they are expensive and freaking loud.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
In regards to the TS - I have used ProCo Rats (original and re-issue) and also a a Boss DS-2.

The (original) Rat sounded superb and, with a little trial and error, it was possible to dial in a decent tone at a reasonable volume for recording. There was an obscene amount of headroom left....
The DS-2 doesn't sound too bad, but a little too clinical when compared direct. It was for an old demo and I need a couple of distinct sounds with limited (albeit good) equipment.

Sadly neither the Twin nor the old Rat were mine...
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
It amazes how many different combinations of dist pedals people use with the Twin, and obviously it won't sound like a Marshall stack, but it still can sound damn good.
I have a HRD and a Laney GH100, both of which I'm currently using clean with distortion pedals. I use an array for different sounds;

Ibanez TS9 - for rounded, nasally chords, or thick cleanish leads.
ProCo Rat - for harsher, trebelly chords. Sounds great with tone & volume pots adjusted for lead.
Suhr Riot - for Marshall-esque chords and lead.
Wampler Triple Wreck - for thick, chugga-chugga chords and screaming leads.
Fuzz Factory [clone] - for all-out chaotic, unstable distortion. It beeps, burps and glitches on leads, and creates walls of distortion for chords.

I run those into mine. My first distortion pedal was a DS-1. I don't have it any more but I used to use that. I also sometimes run a ProCo Rat through my Twin, My Sovtek Big Muff and my old MXR Blue Box.

The Grunge distortion just sounds amazing with my Twin and Deluxe Reverbs. It was meant for my Twin though. My Ibanez FZ7 gets a bassy response with the Twin, but it sounds sweet with a little damage control on. Kinda has a White Stripes sound to it.

My Grunge Distortion and my Small Clone Chorus are my top used effects. My Behringer Slow Motion acts as a Noise Gate. My Fuzz is used for covers mostly.
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.

Last edited by kurt_cobain9 at Mar 23, 2011,
Quote by DeadlySurfer
Wouldn't guess you're a Kurt fan!

Love the info so far guys, keep it coming!

Major Kurt fan, but have my own sound.

Quote by kurt_cobain9
Major Kurt fan, but have my own sound.

Fair enough man

I don't care what people say, this amp is damn versatile.
Quote by DeadlySurfer
Fair enough man

I don't care what people say, this amp is damn versatile.

I agree. I played in a metal band with this set up once. I came in for auditions, they had marshalls and some pretty expensive pedal boards. They thought it was a joke that I was going to audition with cheap pedals and a Fender Twin. I got hired that day though.

Quote by kurt_cobain9
I agree. I played in a metal band with this set up once. I came in for auditions, they had marshalls and some pretty expensive pedal boards. They thought it was a joke that I was going to audition with cheap pedals and a Fender Twin. I got hired that day though.

Damn man, I love that story!