So I'm in the market for a Bass and a small practice amp. I should start by saying I am NOT a bassist, I am a guitar player of 15-ish years. I am looking for a bass and amp solely for home use outside of band-related stuff. I basically want one to write bass parts for music when I'm at home and not with the rest of the band, or to write basslines for my own solo music projects, and also just to mess around on sometimes to just learn a new instrument. This bass and amp will never be used for anything other than noodling around at home, so by no means does it need to be top of the line. In fact, I'm only budgeting $300 for the two, really don't want to go any higher when it may get 5% of my "musical" attention, and I'm about to start a Les Paul build so most of my budget needs to go with parts for that.

That being said, I'd like something that isn't total garbage (so no Walmart bass guitar haha). Also, I'm play in a punk rock band and play classic/80s rock as well. I'd like a bass better suited for that style as opposed to slow jazz or stuff like that. I'd like something that sounds like the music I play (since I'm buying it to write said music lol). My bassist plays a Fender P-Bass. In fact I'm pretty sure every bassist I've ever been in a band with has played a P-Bass, or that style. I'm looking for a "sharper" bass tone (and will be playing with a pick) as opposed to the more "thick and muddy" tone of jazz-style bass.

I'm strongly considering one of the "all in one" packs from Guitar Center or one of the other sites like Musicians Friend. These are the ones I've been looking at:

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-Edge-09-Bass-and-Amp-Pack?sku=512175

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-IJSB90-Electric-Bass-Jumpstart-Pack?sku=516149

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Affinity-Precision-Bass-Pack?sku=513289

It doesnt HAVE to be an "all in one" package either, I don't need any of that extra crap that comes with them, I really just need a bass and amp, so if anyone has any individual suggestions for instrument/amp pairing that stay under $300, please recommend.

TL;DR
Need a bass/amp pairing that is good for punk rock/rock sound that is under $300 total. Will never be gigged, strictly for writing basslines for songs I'm working on at home and not with the full band, so by no means do I need anything high quality. Pretty much just needs to sound like a bass, but preferably not be a garbage instrument (just because it won't be used that much doesn't mean I don't want it to be decent lol).

Thanks, and sorry for the long read.
That's a really tight budget for a bass, even if it's going to be just to mess around.

Try looking at these. For a cheap bass to mess around with, I think something from here would work.

And then maybe this for an amp.

You can't really expect too many options on that budget
All you need is yo' fingers and the strings
Get an Ibanez GSR200 or a Yamaha RBX170 for the bass and pair it with Kustom KB 10 (or used KBA10), Peavey MAX 158, or Acoustic B20.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
What has already been recommended is probably as good as your going to get in that price range.

I know you said you were looking in the $300 range. But I would highly recommend you up that price range to $400. That would give you enough to get something like a Squire Vintage Modified Jazz or an Ibanez SR300. They're not top of the line by any means but they're loads better than say a Squire Affinity. If you go new the bass will run you about $300, then you have $100 to pick up a decent 10w-15w amp. If you go cheaper that that, you're going to regret it!!!

I have a very good friend who gigs with this bass and if I were in the $300-$400 price range this is what I would get without a doubt. If you look used instead of new you may be able to pick them both up for under $300.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Jazz-Bass-103726584-i1166457.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-MAX-158-Bass-Practice-Combo-104003454-i1145640.gc
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
Last edited by TheMooseKnuckle at Mar 22, 2011,
Thanks for all the replies!

I think I'm going with the Ibanez GSR200 and one of these 2 amps:

Peavy MAX 158:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-MAX-158-Bass-Practice-Combo-104003454-i1145640.gc

Fender Rumble 15:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Rumble-15-V2-15W-1x8-Bass-Combo-Amp-105767818-i1500541.gc

The bass is $199, the amps are both $99 so that keeps me at my $300 budget (well, a bit over after taxes). So of those 2 amps, which would be the one to go with? Paired with that bass and keeping in mind I'm going to be playing with a pick and want more of a punk rock "punch" than a fingerpicking jazz "muddy" sound.
Quote by Agent51
play (since I'm buying it to write said music lol). My bassist plays a Fender P-Bass. In fact I'm pretty sure every bassist I've ever been in a band with has played a P-Bass, or that style. I'm looking for a "sharper" bass tone (and will be playing with a pick) as opposed to the more "thick and muddy" tone of jazz-style bass.

If by jazz-style bass you were referring to the genre, then there are multiple different sounds you could expect to hear in jazz, and if you were referring to the model of bass then, you're somewhat misinformed there. A Precision bass is far closer to "thick and muddy" than a Jazz bass. Jazz basses are in fact one of the most clean/refined sounding basses out there.

Anyway, the GSR200 will probably suit your needs. As far as amp goes, I can't see it making a huge difference in this case, but I'd probably go for the Peavey. I've never personally found a Fender amp I've liked (on bass, anyway) and the voicing feature might be useful on the Peavey. All the Peavey's I've used have been better at the more trebley/pick sounding stuff too (bar one, which was just a terrible combo, but that was because of bad speaker configuration, the amp might have been alright).
The Kustom KBA10 is the perfect practise amp for a beginner. Its cheap, loud and you would need a bomb full of chainsaws and angry bears to break one. They also sound quite good if you EQ it right.

As for a bass: SQUIER, IBANEZ, ROCKBASS and YAMAHA. If your beginner bass isn't made by any of them then you're doing it wrong.
Quote by Agent51
I am looking for a bass and amp solely for home use outside of band-related stuff. I basically want one to write bass parts for music when I'm at home and not with the rest of the band, or to write basslines for my own solo music projects, and also just to mess around on sometimes to just learn a new instrument. This bass and amp will never be used for anything other than noodling around at home,

If this were my criteria, I'd go acoustic. But then I'm a bit biased on the matter, and I like to play at a moments notice, in any room of the house and outside as well. Being tethered to an AC outlet, amp and cable is not an option.
Quote by OtamotPuhctek
If this were my criteria, I'd go acoustic. But then I'm a bit biased on the matter, and I like to play at a moments notice, in any room of the house and outside as well. Being tethered to an AC outlet, amp and cable is not an option.

Problem being that you cant use headphones with an acoustic and you have to pay more for the same level of quality. Though I have set my sights on a fretless Rockbass Alien, I would say people who buy acoustics really should carefully weigh up the pros and cons.
Quote by Spaz91
Problem being that you cant use headphones with an acoustic and you have to pay more for the same level of quality. Though I have set my sights on a fretless Rockbass Alien, I would say people who buy acoustics really should carefully weigh up the pros and cons.

Of course you can use headphones with an acoustic.
But if you're saying an acoustic through headphones doesn't meet "silent practice" guidelines... well, can't argue there. OP didn't mention headphones or playing during quiet time in his post. I imagine the OP, being a 15 year vet would certainly weigh the pros/cons.
I have the GSR200 and it's a nice bass. I got it used, and I recommend you go that way too. You get far nicer gear for half the price. The GSR200 retails at £239 over here - I paid £90 and it's spotless.
"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord." RL Burnside.

"I won't waste my love on a nation" BRMC
Yep, it sucks the big one
"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord." RL Burnside.

"I won't waste my love on a nation" BRMC