I'm not looking for anything too distorted (I don't want my bass to sound like a freakin' guitar). But I want a pedal that will give it a nice gritty dirty kinda tone. Just for fun, maybe to put some bass solos with. Any recommendations?
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
Distortion, overdrive or fuzz?

Also most pedals have a distortion level control so you can choose how distorted you want it.

And sounds you're after? Examples? Influences?

EDIT: Unless you're playing an upright... your bass is a guitar.

I'm sorry.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Last edited by gilly_90 at Mar 22, 2011,
Vague much?
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Tech21 SansAmp Driver

Done and Done
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
Tech21 SansAmp Driver

Done and Done

Yes, because that can give any distorted sound anyone could ever want, making it appropriate to recommend to someone even though you don't know what they're actually after.

...oh wait no it can't.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Dude guitar distortion is way different than bass distortion. I think this sound is really cool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbYf08hQyCM&feature=related

3:08 there's a little bass solo.
I use a Sansamp BDDI and with the drive cranked it sounds somewhat like this.

Seriously Nick's bass sounds so cool.
Haha, just my 2 cents. I like the the Sansamp BDDI. You could also try a Boss Distortion pedal. Those seem pretty standard for distortion, it seems like.
Main Basses:
Warwick RB Corvette 5
Douglas Sculptor 825 NA Fretless 5

Main Rig:
Sansamp>GK Backline 600>2 GK BLX 210 Cabinets
I've never used distortion on my bass or ever really needed it, but a friend of mine uses the orange Boss in his indie band and my best friend/guitarist uses my orange Boss so I don't even have a chance to try it.
Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy
Quote by gilly_90
Yes, because that can give any distorted sound anyone could ever want, making it appropriate to recommend to someone even though you don't know what they're actually after.

...oh wait no it can't.

*ahem*

Quote by ThrashMetal014
I'm not looking for anything too distorted (I don't want my bass to sound like a freakin' guitar). But I want a pedal that will give it a nice gritty dirty kinda tone. Just for fun, maybe to put some bass solos with. Any recommendations?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
For what it's worth I used to run my bass through an 80's Rat. Always thought it sounded good, but unique.
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
i got a digitech bass driver, its morph control lets u get lots of different bass tones, and has a blend knob.

big muffs kind of got that one sound, and it kills the low end. but they are radically fun. and it was good enough for cliff.
Quote by thegreatgambeen
big muffs kind of got that one sound, and it kills the low end. but they are radically fun. and it was good enough for cliff.

Eh, not really. Not if you get the big muff that was actually designed for bass; in fact, good luck finding many other pedals that have as much bottom end as a bass big muff.
Electro-Harmonix Bass Big Muff, What I do is I also use a Boss ODB-3 Overdrive pedal which also makes my distortion a lil bit better, It can boost up the hi-mids or the lower mids when I have them connected to each other to make its own distortion.