Hi guys I'm really needing a hand with this. I have just bought a handmade guitar from someone online which was working fine before he sent it (I'm sure it was because he is offering to cover repair costs or to swap it for another guitar etc.) but since it arrived and I plugged it in all I get is static. It is not a problem with the lead or amp as I have tested different leads and guitars.

I have looked at all the internals and the best I can come up with is that the negative wire attached to the output jack is quite loose.... but still connected. Could this possibly cause my guitar to only output static with apparently no sound from the pickup?

Thanks,
Kyle.
Have you checked your ground wire
Quote by punk_rules_1997

Hi, I am looking for an amp setting close to the sound of bands like Black Veil Brides.

Quote by Eppicurt

Set everything to 12 o'clock.

Go from there.

lol

Jackson WRMG
Peavey Valveking 112
Pod HD300

Will buy guitars & guitar parts
PM me for info
Yeah the ground wire SEEMS to be fine, connected at both ends but I'm definitely no expert. Everything seems to be fine to me, the loose wire is the only thing I picked up on.

Thanks,
Kyle
if you aren't experienced with this sort of thing you should PROBABLY have an expert look at it. my starcaster had a similar problem with a loose input, check your input jack to see if any wires have a bad connection
Quote by punk_rules_1997

Hi, I am looking for an amp setting close to the sound of bands like Black Veil Brides.

Quote by Eppicurt

Set everything to 12 o'clock.

Go from there.

lol

Jackson WRMG
Peavey Valveking 112
Pod HD300

Will buy guitars & guitar parts
PM me for info
Quote by KyleIsABiscuit
Yeah the ground wire SEEMS to be fine, connected at both ends but I'm definitely no expert. Everything seems to be fine to me, the loose wire is the only thing I picked up on.

Thanks,
Kyle

just re solder the loose wire
that ought to fix it
do you have access to a soldering tool?
Sorry, by output jack I mean the input jack (never sure what to call it, because it outputs the guitar signal). I'll detach the loose wire and solder it back on but if that doesn't solve the problem I'll take it to have it looked at. I'm just not sure if there's even a possibility that the loose wire is the problem.

Cheers,
Kyle

check this and buy a soldering iron to attach either wire that's loose or off.

and in future only tighten jack in this way.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011