for the title when i mean fake, not like a spin off of a brand but similar shape and looks.anyways...
I'm posting this because i want to know what you guys think of these "fake guitars."i actually played 2 of them before and all i could say was "it played better than most well known brands"but here's the story:
Around 2 years ago during summer vacation i went to Taiwan to meet with friends and family and as well as seeing the view and all that. yeah it was great and all that but i got very curious when i saw a music stores. Taiwan had music stores and they all had cool guitars. But not all guitars are your gibsons and fenders, but some "unknown" brand. These unknown brand are not your junk counterfeit guitars but they're REAL guitars. they play good, action was fine, and the sound was amazing. The first time i actually got to play one of these guitars is at a convention in Taipei. This convention had tons of stuff and allow people to try and buy things. I went to the music section and there was a mini station that allowed people to try these guitars. at first i thought i spotted a Fender Sunburst Strat but when i actually got to see it, the headstock didn't read fender. but instead something like "M.B.C" or something like that. I thought the guitar was going to suck, but before i assumed that i fiddled around with it. The guitar was AWESOME. Really good sound, action was pretty much perfect, and the guitar was not too heavy(slightly heavier than a regular strat) The guitar also have a really killer metal sound(it was rigged to a software)and it had the classic rock sound as well. From clean to crunch the guitar was great. Then, i had the opportunity to rig it with this crazy pedal board. It took me a while to figure out how to use a pedal and once i did, the guitar was even better. tons of cool sounds and from punk to classic, the guitar had it all. it was rigged to a simple roland cube 30. Also, i had a chance to play an acoustic. I never played one before and when i did, the acoustic guitar felt awesome. The frets were at a good "size", tone was nice and rich, action had a slight buzz on the 1st fret,but other than that,the guitar was great. Although i only had the opportunity to try only 2 of these guitars, they surely were amazing compared to my squier.
sorry if you had a hard time reading this or if it was too long, but anyways i just want your opinion on these "unknown" guitars.
G&L has some awesome takes on other guitars, other than that I don't have much experience with copy guitars.
If it's creative, true to your musical goal, and it sounds good, put it in the song.

1. Guitar, delay, verb, amp, and creativity.
2. Well-tuned acoustic piano and creativity.
3. A bottle of water.
Generally "fake" is associated with those Chinese "wholesalers" who sell Gibson RArE 1959 LIMETED RUN SPECIAL in batches of 100 for about $150 a pop.

What you played were simply copies, and well built ones at that.

It's like saying an MIJ Tokai is a Gibson LP copy that feels better than a real LP. PLus not everyone's going to know about every individual guitar builder especially if their market is small.
Quote by FRACTUREDx2
G&L has some awesome takes on other guitars, other than that I don't have much experience with copy guitars.

I wouldn't consider G&L copies just for the fact it was made by Leo Fender
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
Cheap "copy" guitars can be pretty nice - I have a Xaviere Strat copy that plays as well as or better than pretty much any Strat I've played (not counting Custom Shop Time Machine models, of course). They make good platforms for modification. A lot of people also swear by 80's-era Ibanez and Fernandes copies of Gibson guitars.

A lot of high-end manufacturers make "copy" guitars as well - like Nash, Crook, DeTemple, Jerry Jones, and Collings. These are what session musicians play - "the real deal" just isn't reliable enough.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
Last edited by sonic_777111 at Mar 22, 2011,
Quote by DamagingExcess
I wouldn't consider G&L copies just for the fact it was made by Leo Fender

Yeah G&L are just updated and improved fenders, not fakes
I've got a carbon copy of a Gibson Explorer, by "Westfield" - some Scottish brand.

It's great.

I mean, I've got a few issues with it now, 3 years on, but for the most part, it's been a fantastic starter guitar. Way better than all the other entry level stuff I've tried.
"Levelled up. Still no solos."
[img]http://sc2sig.com/s/eu/1405270-1.png[/img]
If it sounds and plays awesome, it is awesome! Unless it breaks down later or won't stay in tune.
www.miraclemaxmusic.com

"Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it."
Jello Biafra

(so is it dead?)
Quote by sonic_777111
Cheap "copy" guitars can be pretty nice - I have a Xaviere Strat copy that plays as well as or better than pretty much any Strat I've played (not counting Custom Shop Time Machine models, of course). They make good platforms for modification. A lot of people also swear by 80's-era Ibanez and Fernandes copies of Gibson guitars.

+ 1

AND, they're a lot less likely to be stolen then their brand-name counterparts!
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Does it play well? Does it sound good? Do you like it? Who cares what the brand name says.

Unless it's one of those shitty Dean/BC Rich's kids claim to like because of the body shape.
Quote by JustRooster
Does it play well? Does it sound good? Do you like it? Who cares what the brand name says.

Unless it's one of those shitty Dean/BC Rich's kids claim to like because of the body shape.

HEY! BC Rich Guitars are fine. Sure you have to go to the custom shop to have anything worth more than a trashcan but they aren't as bad as you make them out to be, if you don't like them fine but dont paint them all with one brush.
Gear:
Guitars:
1. Epiphone Custom Shop Explorer Apparition
2. BC Rich Iron Bird 2003 LTD Spaceface
3. Gould KK Series LTD Reaper 600
4. BC Rich Warbeast WMD
5. Cort X6 Custom
6. Dradnaught Acoustic
Yeah, "copies" and "fakes are two different things.

A company making a similar style guitar (strat, les paul, etc) but putting their name on it aren't making fakes. You know it's not a Fender or Gibson, or whatever.

A "Fake" guitar, is someone making a copy and trying to pass it off as the real deal.
Quote by MidnightReaper
HEY! BC Rich Guitars are fine. Sure you have to go to the custom shop to have anything worth more than a trashcan but they aren't as bad as you make them out to be, if you don't like them fine but dont paint them all with one brush.

You shouldnt have to pay for a custom shop model just to get a decent guitar. Although I dont think they're high end (800-1100$) guitars wouldnt be bad, but for the price you can get so much more.
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
My cousin used to have a Dimavery strat copy. For a beginner guitar, it was fine. However it was crap when compared to the real thing - as you'd expect.

One of my friends from high school had a Chibson (Chinese illegal copy of a Gibson Les Paul) and... let's say trying to strum your pubes compares favorably.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Quote by PsiGuy60
My cousin used to have a Dimavery strat copy. For a beginner guitar, it was fine. However it was crap when compared to the real thing - as you'd expect.

One of my friends from high school had a Chibson (Chinese illegal copy of a Gibson Les Paul) and... let's say trying to strum your pubes compares favorably.

My pubes are great for strumming - just kind of hard to fret. Glad theyre in an open tuning.

I love 'fake' guitars. Without them we would be stuck with Ibanez/Gibson/Fender/BC Rich/Washburn (maybe, not sure if they'd make the cut for not being fake) pretty much.
i think a fake or copy guitar can be a good thing if its made well. who cares about the name if it works good. you shouldnt buy anything just for the name.
If a guitar plays well, then it plays well. If it's a good guitar, then it's a good guitar, regardless of whatever is on the headstock.