My friend who knows pretty much everything about guitars tells me that "If the guitar is not from a well-known manufacturer, then it probably or will probably fail and break very soon."

Now, I don't really trust him on that. Im a half-begginer (figure it out xD) and I bought a new guitar. Its coming in like 4 days, so I'll tell you the Manufacturer in a couple of days.

The guitar costed roughly 160$ on sale. It's an electric quitar by the way.

Anyways, for those who hasnt gotten the question yet. Is it true that if a guitar is NOT from a well known manufacturer, then it probably sucks?

Thanks in advance~

DR
If it's from a not well-known manufacturer, it could be incredible, it could suck. Just like guitars from well-made companies. However, 160 dollar guitars shouldn't be THAT good.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Not true, a lot of lesser-known brands? Like Aria, or Custom makers like Rockmace make guitars with supreme quality compared to assembly line shit from Fender or Gibson.

General rule of thumb with guitars, the more price = the more nice
How many guitar players does it take to change a light bulb?

Twelve. One to change the bulb and eleven to say they could do it better.

Dude, forget the manufacturer and just remember the golden rule of economy,

You get what you pay for
"[Bleach] is mostly water, and we are mostly water, therefore we are bleach"

I feel we should go to...

Purple Alert
Quote by soulsablaze

You get what you pay for

Hmm. True. The thing is I hope I didnt waste my cash on a shitty guitar. Oh well.
Quote by DomoRage
Hmm. True. The thing is I hope I didnt waste my cash on a shitty guitar. Oh well.
You may have, but making a shit guitar sound boss is a skill many players would kill to have. Practice away!
Quote by diofan88
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
Quote by beadhangingOne
Every band is a lotr metal band. Metal is like Guile's theme for Lotr.
Quote by mcjosh
Whoever thinks Japan deserved the tsunami in any way should just go away and fucking die alone.
It's flat out not true, and the gold rule of economy doesn't necessarily work every time either--my 1967 Kalamazoo, which I bought used for $40, sounds and feels than the Fender Mustang 69 RI I was playing before it. Some $1000 Schecters are built to the same standards of quality as $3000 Gretsches, which are built to the same standards as $5000 Gibsons. The only way to know whether a guitar has good tone is to play it, and the only way to be sure if it's reliable is to play it for a really long time.
That said, if you could get it new for $160, it's probably not that good.
Shit, starting to regret buying it. In honest opinion, is it good for like a temporairy guitar? I haven't played in like a year, so its pretty much just for getting used to it again. Shit or not, is it fine for a temp?
Quote by DomoRage
Shit, starting to regret buying it. In honest opinion, is it good for like a temporairy guitar? I haven't played in like a year, so its pretty much just for getting used to it again. Shit or not, is it fine for a temp?
Absolutely. Would you want to sink thousands into a Gibson only to find after a hiatus that it's not for you?

EDIT: You can also smash them at major gigs later on!
Quote by diofan88
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
Quote by beadhangingOne
Every band is a lotr metal band. Metal is like Guile's theme for Lotr.
Quote by mcjosh
Whoever thinks Japan deserved the tsunami in any way should just go away and fucking die alone.
Last edited by BeerBlood at Mar 22, 2011,
Awesome. Im looking forward to the smashing part :P

One last question, any reccomendations on a new guitar after I'm "experienced" enough?
dont ever smash ur guitar
just dont
and you can't go wrong with an HSS strat IMO
Argh, smashing guitars. The pain in my soul, it is terrible.
There's not much point in recommending guitars until you've played more and gotten a feel for what you like. When I first started playing I desperately wanted an Ibanez JEM. Now I can't stand those. I once thought I'd never like a Gibson, now I have a Les Paul. Time was I thought the Fender Jaguar was the greatest guitar ever made, now I kind of prefer the Jazzmaster. You don't know what you'll like in a year, so how can we?
Nah, I'm just kidding, you need a Jackson Roswell Rhoads.
Quote by AeolianSeventh
It's flat out not true, and the gold rule of economy doesn't necessarily work every time either--my 1967 Kalamazoo, which I bought used for $40, sounds and feels than the Fender Mustang 69 RI I was playing before it. Some $1000 Schecters are built to the same standards of quality as $3000 Gretsches, which are built to the same standards as $5000 Gibsons. The only way to know whether a guitar has good tone is to play it, and the only way to be sure if it's reliable is to play it for a really long time.
That said, if you could get it new for $160, it's probably not that good.

i would love to agree with you in some regards, but cannot. yes, there are bad MIM's and good Squiers, and the infamously (yet four of my six gibsons are from that time period) bad gibsons, and good epiphones, there are good schecters, but they to me they are just mind blowingly boring.

i had a really bad MIM tele, the neck pocket gap was so bad that i had to shim the heel and the side. but it still had better tone than a squier, but again, the squire had its issue too, (body literatlly made out of laminated 1"x2"s.

i own four gibsons made over the last six years when gibson was bad , aand all of mine were flawless, i played probably 30 and found two or three that weren't so hot, but still, they sustained, played and sounded sweeter than the epi elitest that was right next to me.

i have a hand made italian pre WWII classical, however, that will never be replicable. all sloid woods, real bone saddle and nut, perfect attention to detal , just amazing.

having said, what aeolian has, i don't think you have played enough instruments of the calibur that you have listed to really know the difference.

bottom line you get most of what you pay for (the most is because brand name does throw in a few $$$).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by soulsablaze

You get what you pay for

I have to call shenanigans on you.

that rule is complete horse hockey, I have played 4,000 dollar Gibsons that were complete garbage, and I have played 200 dollar Deans that rocked.

Most big companies charge a premium just for the name alone.

@OP

Your friend sounds like a gear snob, to me. Most if not all gear snobs should not be trusted with brand advise.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Last edited by Alucard817 at Mar 23, 2011,
@Alucard
Then again, that kid is either always high or he is always asleep. But you have a point.

&& Tbh, I don't really see why just because its a famous brand, that it costs like 1000$ more. I mean ffs, sell it for less if you want to sell at all. I saw a guitar that costs 9000$, and it didnt look that good.
Quote by DomoRage
@Alucard
Then again, that kid is either always high or he is always asleep. But you have a point.

&& Tbh, I don't really see why just because its a famous brand, that it costs like 1000$ more. I mean ffs, sell it for less if you want to sell at all. I saw a guitar that costs 9000$, and it didnt look that good.

there isn't a reason why it being a famous brand would make it cost $1000 more and i don't buy into the idea that it does, at least not to the same extent everyone says it does. to me it seems like that's just people with cheaper guitars being insecure about having a cheaper guitar trying to come up with an excuse for not having an expensive guitar... and that ain't right. you should appreciate guitars for what they are and enjoy playing them, rather than getting hung up on whether you could get something "better" or whether someone else has a "better" guitar.

at the end of the day the most important thing is that it works for you and you're satisfied with it.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by AeolianSeventh
What BeerBlood said. Plus, a lot of the time cheap junky guitars are fun to play.

Aside from like cranking the ones in walmart or futureshop when your baked walking around that statement just isn't true
Jackson RR3 - BKP Painkiller/Warpig
Bugera 333XL 212
Pod Studio UX1
MXR Smart Gate
Hardwire CM-2
That is total bullsh*t, There are good and bad from all brands and some big brands I would not buy at all that are well known brands because they just plain suck. I have several guitars from the late 70s and early 80s that were fairly unknown and they still perform as if they were new. My favorite is a 30+yo Hondo STING I got at Daddy's new for only $95.00 in the 80s. I still gig with it today and the only thing I have ever done to it since it was new was to replace the strings I used it a lot over the years and the frets are still in good shape. I have owned Gibson, Fender and several other well known and unknown brand name guitars that have failed before other guitars did. There are a few items no matter what brand that can fail over the years some faster than other but they are fairly inexpensive and I consider those parts average wear and tear like the pots, jack, switches and tuners. Some very old pups will go bad but usually that is because the insulation breaks down. I have had to have a lot of old Gibby pups rewound because the insulation broke down.

Price and brand name really mean, nothing especially these days. There is no magic way to build a guitar that is better than another they all use the same machinery and techniques I have played total hand made guitar that were horrible and some cheap Chinese copies they were almost as good as the real deal. The only big differences are the pups and quality of the hardware but I haven't seen much hardware fail except for very bad tuners and really cheap LFRs. It's all hype, the people who make the expensive guitar want you to believe if it's a major brand made in the USA and cost 1000s of dollars it's better and people who pay outrageous prices want you to believe it as well, then they don't look so foolish because they paid $5000.00 for a guitar that does not perform any better than a $1000.00 guitar. I literally play, buy, sell repair and collect 100s of guitars a year and I have played guitar most people probably never heads of for well under $1000 that I chose over guitars that were a big brand name that had prices well over $1000. Price doesn't matter to me I'll buy a more expensive guitar if I think it's worth it sometimes I have gotten burned buying the well known brands because some never just gain in value.

Last thing, It depends on how a guitarist uses or abuses his guitar. I buy, sell repair and maintain a lot of guitars (it's my side business) and the ones that seem to be beat up and abused I get several times in a year for repair, guitars that are taken care of I might see every now and then to tweak, clean and/or set up not usually do repairs unless some major accident happened.

If you try as many guitars as I do you will find that there are slight differences in all of them but nothing that big that demands 1000s more there are differences even in guitars from the same company but if you find a guitar you like and it performs well buy it no matter what the name.

It all comes down to your the only one that has to be happy with it buy what YOU like not what someone tells you is better.

John
It's bullshit. Agile guitars are awesome and they're super cheap.
Another unoriginal prog head.
I have an Ariana (Aria) starter pack guitar! hahaha

It's as heavy as my Epi LP custom, if not heavier, and has one of the sexiest clean sounds I've heard from a guitar.
if you like any given guitar is all that counts in the end. my fav guitar is made by Vineyard, ever heard of them, probably not. it's not my most expensive guitar and actually is just a strat copy. now keep in mind that i own a high end Fender Stratocaster and yet the copy is still my fav. you can find nice low end guitars if you take the time to look. one of the things about Vineyard that i really liked is that they aren't made in a big factory. they are made in a smaller shop that just happens to be in china. my understanding is that they hire people that have worked in the factories that actually know what they are doing and want to make a higher quality product. still way cheaper than a US plant so they can charge far less for them. obviously many cheapis are just that but you can't always judge a guitar by the name on the headstock.
It's false, but it could always suck. I put $60 into my Squire, and for the price its amazing. Sure the hardware and electronics could be better, but it has a neck that feels better than some Gibsons I've played.
I pride myself on my humility.
False.
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
This is one of those questions that is way more complex than people realize. I myself might hate a $3000 guitar while another guy blows his load just holding the thing. There's a reason why there's all different kinds of tone woods, string spacings, body shapes, neck shapes, scale lengths, pickup configurations etc We could make a long list of the different measurements in a guitar and the differences between all the brands and models. The reason is we're all different. So a lot of what people pan might just come down to a particular aspect.

Now that being said, there is also an *objective* basis for quality. There are some things that are just signs of a bad guitar and the more you pay, the less frequently you will experience these things. Also you have to take into account what a guitar has been through (even a new guitar) rather than the brand. *For instance,* ever experience "fret sprout" or sharp frets, where the end of the fret sticks out more than it should and when you slide your hand past, it gets scratched? A lot of times this just has to do with the fact that where the guitar was made, it was *more humid* and therefore when they did the fretwork, the fret was flush with the wood. Yet when it was shipped to your dry-ass locale, the wood shrank back "sprouting" the fret.

Also not to mention that your impression of a guitar can be severely impacted by the setup or lack thereof. Pickup adjustment, intonation, string gauge, etc on a guitar all are factors that impact each other.

My point is that it really is impossible to speak in anything other than generalizations about guitar brands and models. And I would wager that none of us on this message board has enough perspective and experience to really say a sweeping truth. There's that adage about you know what happens when you assume. You make an ass out of u and me. So my point is you can kinda say stuff like "Oh it's a Squier and a Squier is worse than a Fender" but you don't really know. That doesn't hold true in every instance. Thus I silently insert "IMO" in my mind after every message board post because in the end, it's all just opinion. And at the end of the day, I'd really rather form my own.
www.miraclemaxmusic.com

"Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it."
Jello Biafra

(so is it dead?)
Depends what your playing, I have a £20 hello kitty guitar that i play anything that isnt rock or metal on because for clean its sound is just brutal. i also have a £699 Epi Marcus Henderson Custom which for metal is amazing but anything below drop c sounds like the screams of cats being throw at a blender.
i have a £150 BC rich Warbeast which for drop a sounds wonderful and thick.
I also have a BC Rich ignitor 7 which sounds amazing plays amazing but tends to roll out of tune.
Gear:
Guitars:
1. Epiphone Custom Shop Explorer Apparition
2. BC Rich Iron Bird 2003 LTD Spaceface
3. Gould KK Series LTD Reaper 600
4. BC Rich Warbeast WMD
5. Cort X6 Custom
6. Dradnaught Acoustic
Ive tested the guitar already, but without it bieng connected to an amp. It felt absolutley amazing. The neck was smooth, and it was pretty awesome in general. But then again, its brand new, so i assume there all like that xD It sounded fine without the aml, im sure it shouldnt be that much worst with an amp.
Thanks for all the reply guys! Strongly apreciate it! ;P

DR
Quote by DomoRage
My friend who knows pretty much everything about guitars tells me that "If the guitar is not from a well-known manufacturer, then it probably or will probably fail and break very soon."

Now, I don't really trust him on that. Im a half-begginer (figure it out xD) and I bought a new guitar. Its coming in like 4 days, so I'll tell you the Manufacturer in a couple of days.

The guitar costed roughly 160$ on sale. It's an electric quitar by the way.

Anyways, for those who hasnt gotten the question yet. Is it true that if a guitar is NOT from a well known manufacturer, then it probably sucks?

Thanks in advance~

DR

Your friend knows sod all about guitars, he's just trying to show off. A cheap guitar isn't going to randomly fall apart or stop working.

There's a lot of massive factories in places like the Czech Republic, China and South Korea where they make thousands of guitars for lots of manufacturers. If you're talking higher-end instruments then they are often made in places like Japan or the USA - but if it's around $500 or less then regardless of whether it's a Schecter or a Shine, an Dean or a Stagg, the quality isn't going to be wildly different at the same price and they could even have been built in the same factory.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com