So, here's the deal:

About one year ago, I replaced the stock Jackson J-50 BC on my Jackson (well, it's technically a Charvel Model 4 but with a Jackson neck) with a Dimarzio X2N which, as some of you know, is a REALLY high output pickup. I like the sound of it, as it has a unique voicing and picks up harmonics quite well, but because its output is so high it renders the neck and middle single coils practically worthless. At first I thought about finding some way to lower the X2N's output but doing so would probably kill its tone. Instead, I think I would rather replace the neck and middle pickups with something that doesn't fall far behind the X2n .

What would you say is the highest output single coil pickup? And when I say single coil, I mean actual single coil. NOT a sc-sized humbucker like the Seymour Duncan Hot/Cool Rails or Dimarzio Fast-track (It's not that dislike those types of pickups; in fact, I have an SD Hot Rails in the bridge position my Strat and it sounds amazing. It's just that I'm looking for the sound of actual single coils, and those are technically humbuckers).

Currently I have my eye on the Seymour Duncan SSL4 as a lot of people say that that is one of the highest output Single coils, plus they are affordable, but how good do they sound? I don't want to be stuck with a set of pups that sound like shit. Also, keep in mind that I only use this guitar for distorted tones, bridge and neck, so I don't care if whatever I install can't do cleans easily. Also aesthetics don't matter either, as I have pickup covers:

Quote by AcousticMirror
bare knuckle pickups the sinner.

Damn, that's what I was gona say.

The BKP The Sinner is actually the hottest "True" single coil on the market that I can think of that actually sounds good. The bridge is like 21k, and the middle and neck positions are near 14-15k.
I have a Model 4. Same LFR too.

The Jackson middle and bridge pickups are stacked single coils (each has 2 sets of bobbins) serving the purpose of a humbucker.

Have you experimented with the pickup height?

With the plastic covers on the pickups covering the pole pieces, you can raise the neck and middle pickups closer to the strings than you think. But doing this can interfere with string picking depending on your technique.

Conversely, you can lower the bridge pickup a bit which will decrease its output as it gets further away from the strings.

Have you also considered only using the mid boost with the middle and neck pickups to bring up the signal?

EDIT: FWIW, I find that I get more of a strat tone with the middle pick up by itself or in combo with one of the other two. I love them toggle switches.

EDIT 2: Are you sure that guitar is an 86? I thought the Model 4 had a Kahler trem in 86-87 and went to the LFR in 88.

Quote by caw1
Boost Switch?

If the guts are still original, the Model 4 has an active mid boost circuit powered by a 9V battery.
Last edited by irnmadn88 at Mar 23, 2011,
Quote by irnmadn88
I have a Model 4. Same LFR too.

The Jackson middle and bridge pickups are stacked single coils (each has 2 sets of bobbins) serving the purpose of a humbucker.

Have you experimented with the pickup height?

I have indeed lowered the height of the X2N. It did help out a bit, but the neck and middle are still being overpowered.

Quote by irnmadn88
Have you also considered only using the mid boost with the middle and neck pickups to bring up the signal?

I have indeed. It does help slightly, but it already takes a while to switch from neck to bridge pickup in midst of a solo, and it takes even longer to do that and turn the mid-boost knob.

Quote by irnmadn88
Are you sure that guitar is an 86? I thought the Model 4 had a Kahler trem in 86-87 and went to the LFR in 88.

SHIT you're right. It is an '88, not an '86. I'll have to fix my sig. Thanks for pointing that out.

Quote by irnmadn88
If the guts are still original, the Model 4 has an active mid boost circuit powered by a 9V battery.

Besides bridge pickup and neck, everything else is stock. I replaced the original neck with a Jackson 22 fret maple/rosewood fingerboard neck that is thicker and has an actual Floyd Rose locking nut instead of a Kahler nut. This fixes the infamous tuning problems that occur with the LFR Model 4's. I'm not sure the exact model of the neck, though. I'm guessing it's an RR3 based on its scale length and number of frets.

As for the Bare Knuckle Sinners: I like the looks of them, but does anyone know anyone that deals them over the Internet in the US?
Last edited by Ian_the_fox at Mar 24, 2011,
I have gotten pretty good at the thumb/pick switching the neck pickup on while the pinky switches the bridge off and rolling the boost knob with the edge of the palm but you're right, that is not a split second, gots to rip that note on time kind of move.

Instead of using the boost knob, how about a boost pedal instead?

Or possibly taking the X2N out of the boost circuit? Is that even possible?