can anyone play an Am chord with your pinky fretting the fith fret on the e string?

Page 1 of 2
I have a short pinky and average/small hands (7.3 inches from palm to top of middle finger, 8.4 inch handspan) as it extends only couple millimeters below the first knuckle of my ring finger. When playing an open Am chord I can easily fret the fourth fret on the high e string while still keeping the fingers fretting the Am chord, it's impossible for me to do it with the fifth fret.

This was done with a guitar with 25.5 scale length.

Can anyone else do this? My pinky does not really limit me while shredding although a longer pinky would make certain stretches easier. I can hammer on and pull off on the first fret to the sixth fret. And the fifth fret pretty easily.
Last edited by musicandthewave at Mar 22, 2011,
They aren't average/small. They are tiny.

Mine are about the same, and I can barely do it though, I've just worked on being able to do painful stretches : /
Quote by nargoth
They aren't average/small. They are tiny.

Mine are about the same, and I can barely do it though, I've just worked on being able to do painful stretches : /

lol wat?

The average hand size for an adult male is like 7.5 inches.
My pinky won't pull that far out, but I have slow and not very flexible hands. Probably why I'm more skilled at bass than guitar.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
Quote by thenextkirk92
Why would you need to do this?

led zeppelin-tangerine
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
i do sometimes. i switch from Am to Am7th to Am with the 5, im not sure what its called. i do it quite often tho.
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while f
I thought that you only had to get your pinky to the 3rd fret on the b string for that song. Where in the song do you have to play an A on the e string? LOL just bring your picking had up and tap the fifth fret!! done. No need to post more guys, i fixed it
Quote by dimarzio77
I thought that you only had to get your pinky to the 3rd fret on the b string for that song. Where in the song do you have to play an A on the e string? LOL just bring your picking had up and tap the fifth fret!! done. No need to post more guys, i fixed it

im not even talking about the song, this is to demonstrate how far you can stretch your fingers.
5th 7th 9th 10th.
No biggie da.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Just tried, and I can do it, but I have to use my middle finger for both the D and G strings.
I can get to the 4th, but not the 5th. My pinky pulls my ring finger too far out of place if I stretch that far.
i can do it. i have long skinny fingers. It's a bit of an uncomfortable stretch for the fretted chord but i can still get it to sound good.
Quote by sandyman323
why not just hit the open A?

How have I never thought of that!?
If I really stretch I can just barely do it, but I have to lean over and bend my arm and all. My hands are 7" from palm to tip, and 8.5" handspan.
My hands are much smaller than yours - my left hand is a little bit large than my right, and can stretch further, but it's still only 6.7 inches to the tip of my middle finger and just barely 5.4 inches to the tip of my little finger, and it can be a bit painful for some stretches for chords, but nothing I can't handle :/

Practise maketh perfect.
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Why not just play the chord higher up the neck (Am barre chord)? that way you can hit that note and the others!
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by sandyman323
why not just hit the open A?

because it's a different octave? The high A on the 1st string is good for voice leading with an Am chord
I can do it, but it seems rather pointless? Why not just play the root 4 Am on the 7th fret? I don't know if I'm right in this, but I think it would a root 4 E-shape Am?

Gah, I'm horrible with theory.
6.5 inches.

This explains a little about why I have trouble with barres.
Super
Old
Cats
Are
Surprising

Many profile views... few friends...
Quote by Vacuity
because it's a different octave? The high A on the 1st string is good for voice leading with an Am chord

my apologies. i missed the part about it being the high e instead of the low e.
don't be discouraged by tiny hands guys, I've got a friend who does ridiculous shit with his pinky despite his hand size. It's like everyone says, practice practice practice. Though his pinky is pretty ****ing warped...
NYY _______________________________________________ NYG
A minor chord in the 5th position? Problem solved.
R.I.P. PAUL GILBERT

You will be missed...
Yeah I can, but i usually don't do it unless it's a Amaj, doesn't sound right otherwise
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
I think I pulled a muscle in my pinky, asshole.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
I just tried and no i can't, but I can play Am in the 5th position and I'm willing to bet that you can too
Can't do it. my hands aren't that big either.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
wtf, barre chord anyone? ANYONE?!
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Quote by Wiegenlied
wtf, barre chord anyone? ANYONE?!

you gonna barre with your pinky? It's in the title of the thread.

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.

-Sloppyjoe24
Dude if you want that extra octave just skip the 2nd octave of A on the G string? Or alternatively just fret it in an easier spot.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
You bet your shit I can. Bitch.
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
Quote by sloppyjoe24
you gonna barre with your pinky? It's in the title of the thread.

<577555> is the same notes as <x02215> , plus an extra E. It's just doesn't make sense to attempt the latter
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Page 1 of 2