Hey guys,

I'm going on a class trip to Greece and Italy in April 2012, and I was just wondering something. I downloaded the Rosetta stone Lvls 1, 2 and 3 for Italian, which mostly teaches through picture/word association instead of explaining things to you in English, as well as getting you to actually pronounce and spell words yourself. So far I'm about 1/2 done the first of four units in Lvl 1, so I know basic verbs and nouns and their plural forms, as well as some basic grammar. I've always wanted to learn Italian and travel there, but I just have two main questions for any native Italians and English speakers who know Italian and/or have travelled there:

1) Does one year give me enough time to learn Italian semi-fluently (meaning, have the linguistic and vocabulary skill of a standard eighteen year old, not equivalent to my English which is above average apparently); and

2) As an Italian speaker, how much of the language would you prefer a foreigner to know if he/she were to talk to you in Italian, be you a stranger for conversation, a waiter, a bus driver, etc. or; as someone who has travelled to Italy that may or may not be fluent, how much did you have to learn to overcome most language barriers, if you bothered to learn enough to overcome them at all?

Thanks dudes
Last edited by Pat_s1t at Mar 22, 2011,
If you work at it consistently, yeah you can be pretty good at Italian after one whole year. It's not a difficult language to learn at all. Italians are incredibly hospitable people, and if you tell them you're Canadian they'll love you even more. You could go around Italy with just a basic degree of skill in speaking Italian and you'd do fine because you can actually just gesture a lot of things to them and they'll get it lol. If you have basic verbs and nouns down already then it won't be hard to pick up the finer nuances of Italian grammar, it's very similar to spanish and french.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Most Italians speak either French or German and a fair few speak English. Language won't be a barrier.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Idk but I like pasta.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Quote by Jackal58
Most Italians speak either French or German and a fair few speak English. Language won't be a barrier.
I just figured it would be way easier to get by if I spoke in their native language, and they might be more appreciative of me trying to learn Italian instead of them having to learn English like half the world does.
Quote by DonGlover
Idk but I like pasta.
Very good, informative post
Good luck, it will be the last vacation you'll take before the UN sends us to Apple controlled Deathcamps in 2012.
^ I was wondering about that too by the way (well sort of). Jackal, you think I'll be in any sort of danger? I'm not sure Ace has heard about the Canadian raid on Sicily, so the Italian consensus on Canadians might've changed a bit in the last couple weeks.
Quote by Pat_s1t
^ I was wondering about that too by the way (well sort of). Jackal, you think I'll be in any sort of danger? I'm not sure Ace has heard about the Canadian raid on Sicily, so the Italian consensus on Canadians might've changed a bit in the last couple weeks.

Lol it was Sicily. You're fine.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
If you wanna get laid, make an effort to speak Italian in your natural, non-Italian accent and act (you might not have to act very hard) like you're struggling to do so. Chicks will think you're the cutest
just got back from there. it was ok. would rather be in the US any day of the week.
#DTWD
I've travelled to the Jersey Shore. Does that count?
58-32 NFL Thread Pick Em.