...but when I do, I make this thread. I should probably know the answer to this, but somehow I don't.

I was going to buy an Agile AL-3100 Silverburst but I emailed Kurt and he said there won't be any more in for a long time. Sucks...but whatever. I guess I'll just buy one in a different finish.

2 questions.

1. Would buying a slim profile neck alter the tone significantly? The slim profile neck at the first fret is 17mm and 21mm at the 12th fret. (vs: 21.5 mm at the 1st fret and 23.5mm at the 12th fret for the standard.) and...

2. I heard a while back that Adam Jones of Tool (who uses almost exclusively Gibson's Silverburst models) said that part of the reason that he used the Silverburst model was that the paint/finish gave it a different tone.

Now I know that Agile is obviously not going to use the same paint etc. at Gibson, but do different paints actually affect tone at all? I know that different finishes can but paints...hmm.

Any help is appreciated!
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
Last edited by Ayses at Mar 23, 2011,
the neck profile affect playability and feel more than anything if it changes the tone it wouldnt be significant

i dont know about the paint changing the tone of a guitar it could be true it could not but i think if it did it also would be about as obvious as the neck profile
Neither of those things will affect tone significantly. A little maybe, but nothing you will really notice. Adam Jones is a tool, that's probably where the name came from....
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
DBX166XL/BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2, sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, Zakk Wylde wah
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Awe-in-One picks..and more
Alright, thanks. However...

Quote by chuckmehh
Adam Jones is a tool, that's probably where the name came from....

^ Not sure if trolling or just really stupid.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Quote by Ayses
Alright, thanks. However...

^ Not sure if trolling or just really stupid.

I'm mostly just expressing an opinion, the fact that you disagree doesn't make me "stupid" though. Believing that silver burst paint makes a guitar sound different might though...
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Neck thickness does affect tone quite a bit. That's how Gibsons are able to get "that tone", that other guitars can rarely ever emulate perfectly, even if they use the same tone woods, because their necks are so thick. Especially on neck through/ set though gutiars, where the neck takes up a very large percentage of the guitar.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Neck thickness does affect tone quite a bit. That's how Gibsons are able to get "that tone", that other guitars can rarely ever emulate perfectly, even if they use the same tone woods, because their necks are so thick. Especially on neck through/ set though gutiars, where the neck takes up a very large percentage of the guitar.

I think that "Gibson Les Paul" tone is more due to the body wood than the neck thickness. There are some teles out there with baseball bat necks that still won't sound like a Les Paul because their bodies are so much lighter. It's also why some of the newer chambered Les Pauls are much less desired; the necks are still thick but losing that wood in the body kills the tone of them.

Personally, I think the wood making a big difference in the tone is a bunch of crap altogether, be it neck/body/etc, but that (what I wrote above) is a more accurate justification I think.
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
it wont affect it that much at all. your fingers will have a larger affect on tone than paints and neck thickness.

that being said, PRS like to use as little paint as possible to not affect their tones, so it does, but PRS are very pedantic. i doubt a normal person will notice or even care.
With regards to the laws of physics, yes - every single aspect of a guitar imparts it's own "flavor" to the overall tone. Wood type, body shape, neck, neck joint type, string type/brand/gauge, electronics, etc... They all affect the sound of the guitar. Why? Because a guitar is a sum of it's parts. Each of those parts impacts how the guitar as a whole vibrates/resonates, which affects the overall tone.

But that being said, a lot of people blow some of those "tonal differences" way out of proportion. Does a thinner neck affect the tone? Probably on a fundamental level. But I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference between two guitars if that was the ONLY thing that was different between them.

The paint? I suppose it could affect the tone on a microscopic level, but you'd never be able to tell the difference. If you can then you need to be out fighting crime because that is a superpower, my friend...

For the rest of us "normal" people, saying a silverburst guitar sounds different is like saying a blue car is faster...
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Quote by 57Goldtop
With regards to the laws of physics, yes - every single aspect of a guitar imparts it's own "flavor" to the overall tone. Wood type, body shape, neck, neck joint type, string type/brand/gauge, electronics, etc... They all affect the sound of the guitar. Why? Because a guitar is a sum of it's parts. Each of those parts impacts how the guitar as a whole vibrates/resonates, which affects the overall tone.

My fellow Ohioan is right.

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
O - H ...
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Last edited by 57Goldtop at Mar 23, 2011,
Eh. I'll probably just get a regular sized neck I guess. There's not THAT much size difference between the 2 anyway.

Although, if anyone has played both kinds of Agile necks (that's a stretch, I know) I'd love to hear your input on the difference!
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Quote by Ayses
2. I heard a while back that Adam Jones of Tool (who uses almost exclusively Gibson's Silverburst models) said that part of the reason that he used the Silverburst model was that the paint/finish gave it a different tone.

either

a) joking
b) an idiot
c) the gibson silverburst might have something different about it aside from the finish, compared to other models... seems to be issued separately, so that's quite possible.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.