Page 1 of 3
(From guitar hero to the Electric guitar ....)
uh around 17 i stumbled on guitar hero3, i heard he song Soothsayer by Buckethead and i thought to myself .. man i wish i could play that on guitar for real. id imagine this character on stage playing soothsayer giving all the emotion he had into his guitar ..... *lol i see that character everytime im listening to BH,Joe satriani,Vai or Paul Gilbert*

(Ok ur pretty inhuman on guitar hero ... whats next)
Anyway i eventually beat through fire n flames and could 5star just about every career song on expert on that game (raining blood is all that is left) anyway

i started becoming interested in the artist Buckethead only hearing a few of his songs and I was like woah, i believed after i saw him play Padmasana live and wanted to play guitar since

I picked up a guitar at 19 jus months away from 20, been practicing since didnt really get a efficient teacher till 7months due to my financial situation
Anyway I brought a guitar Feb 2010 , its been a year since then and my question that has been on my mind for a while now is

IS 19/20 years old ... too late to get good in the future i plan to give this thing all that ive got/ practicing and learning but i need to know if In the end if The juice was worth the Squeeze.....

i mostly listen to buckethead/vai/satriani/petrucci/hendrix/paulgilbert.... man to play on their level is my goal or atleast get me close to it lol i know guys been playing guitar since friggn a day after birth ... (ukno what I mean )

anyway i dunno many others out there with guitar experience other then my guitar teachers but uhm if any one could help me with that question much thanks
"its not the destination.... so much as the journey" one once said
Last edited by Marqway at Mar 23, 2011,
10 000 hours

'08 Ibanez S5470 Prestige
Gibson SG Special - discontinued teal finish
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
4x12 Mesa Oversized Slanted Cab
BOSS TU-2
iSP Decimator
It's not too late, but for the love of God, don't tell people that guitar hero is the reason you wanted to begin.

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.

-Sloppyjoe24
20 I don't think is to old to get good in the future I've been playing for years now and I've seen people that have played for 10 years be terrible and had people that have been playing for 6 months blow me away so its just your natural ability and how much dedication you give your guitar

EDIT: yea don't tell people guitar hero is the reason you picked up a guitar. (Even though I know more than a couple of people that started because of it)
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

Last edited by FireFromTheVoid at Mar 23, 2011,
LOL nah .. Buckethead is the reason i picked up a guitar.... I found buckethead through Guitar hero
Quote by sloppyjoe24
It's not too late, but for the love of God, don't tell people that guitar hero is the reason you wanted to begin.

Yes don't tell people that, but it is never to late to learn. Just because your gonna be 20 does that mean you can never learn anything ever again for the rest of your life? Don't let it discourage you that you aren't going to sound like your idols right away, like anything else, it will take time and commitment.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Elite
Squier Strat
Fender Acoustic
Line 6 POD XT-Live
Blackstar HT-1 Combo
Quote by sloppyjoe24

LMao nah .. Buckethead is the reason i picked up a guitar.... I found buckethead through Guitar hero
well PG started contacting recording execs when he was 15 from what I've heard and honestly he is an abnormality and freakishly good (can you tell he's my favourite guitarist?). Anyway, to get as good as those guys takes hours and hours of quality practice and I would argue some amount of natural talent as well. Unless you're highly dedicated with lots of spare time and some musical talent, you probably won't get as good as them. On the other hand, that isn't to say you won't be able to get good. Just because you can't be Bruce Lee doesn't mean you shouldn't do martial arts.
Sure it's enough time to get good - you've got THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!

Assuming you won't die tomorrow, you have a pretty high chance of getting good on the guitar.

Although if you're considering "making it", it's probably too late, as most artists who are signed are under the age of 25, by which point you probably won't have a successful band with a strong local following.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by Marqway
LMao nah .. Buckethead is the reason i picked up a guitar.... I found buckethead through Guitar hero

Good save. Admittedly, I too have found some good songs through GH, but I will not praise GH for it. Nevah!

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.

-Sloppyjoe24

Whats wrong with Guitar hero, it inspired me to pick up my guitar that had been sitting there for a few years not really getting any love and really get dedicated to learning something that has become my life.

Edit: Felt that the sentence was a run on, so added a comma.
Last edited by Ēzio at Mar 23, 2011,
Quote by ?zio

Whats wrong with Guitar hero it inspired me to pick up my guitar that had been sitting there for a few years not really getting any love and really get dedicated to learning something that has become my life.

There's nothing wrong with it because it does get people to pick up a guitar
But its kinda like saying I started building cars cuz I got bored with my hot wheels
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

Correct me if Im wrong, but didn't the guy from Boston begin learning guitar just about year before the song "Foreplay/Long Time" was recorded? (please don't kill me if that's not true, somebody told me that a while back, but I can't find anything on the internet that proves/disproves that statement.)

Seems like a lot can get done in one year, so I'd say you have time .
Guitars

1992 Fender Standard Stratocaster
2009 Gibson Les Paul Studio
2010 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro
Ovation Celebrity 6-String Acoustic
Fender BG29 Acoustic 4-string Bass
Quote by AlanHB
Sure it's enough time to get good - you've got THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!

Assuming you won't die tomorrow, you have a pretty high chance of getting good on the guitar.

Although if you're considering "making it", it's probably too late, as most artists who are signed are under the age of 25, by which point you probably won't have a successful band with a strong local following.

wait wait .... ppl cant get signed after 25 O_O
Quote by FireFromTheVoid
There's nothing wrong with it because it does get people to pick up a guitar
But its kinda like saying I started building cars cuz I got bored with my hot wheels

Perhaps if one goes about it right they could avoid sounding like that because for me, it was actually the other way around. As in the hot wheels are fun but I wanna do it for real.
I appreciate the comments guys ...means alot
And so to not be spamming and actually contribute-

Yeah you can definitely get skilled enough that it would be worth your time, just lurk UG and pick up good practice tips and have fun whenever your pick it up.
A suggestion: if you are really into it; immerse in it. I play bass but I have Alter Bridge Live from Amsterdam on the television and while I am typing my guitar is on my lap. For me it's a lifestyle with no particular goal or purpose other than to play as hard and good as I can.
<Insert Witty Comment Here>

1981 Fender Lead I Seymour Duncan humbucker, Mesa BoogieIIIRectifer, MKIIRhodes,PRS
Quote by Marqway
wait wait .... ppl cant get signed after 25 O_O

Quote by Chuckles
That's not true at all.

C'mon disprove it. Look at the MTV chart, pick out which artist you think was signed after they turned 25.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
C'mon disprove it. Look at the MTV chart, pick out which artist you think was signed after they turned 25.

The fat lady that sings, Susan Boyle is it? I dont think TS is looking to go into that kind of music though.

Quote by Pillo114
The fat lady that sings, Susan Boyle is it? I dont think TS is looking to go into that kind of music though.

She did have a MASSIVE in-built audience. That one was guaranteed as the record companies already knew they were going to make sales.
Soundcloud
Quote by Pillo114

I hear she just switched her endorsement to Schecter
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Not by any means. If you want to play, play, and who cares how you got there, the point is you made it. I wouldn't set my expectations so high at first, that's like a kid picking up the basketball the first time, and expecting that he's gonna dunk like Jordan...some will and most won;t. As one person wisely put it...10,000 hours. If thats not what you can bring to the table then just learn and play and enjoy it for what it is and dont set Mt Everest in front of you when you've never even climbed a bunny hill.

Best,

Sean
Quote by AlanHB

are you going to die when you turn 21?
if the answer is yes, then you won't be able to get good at the guitar, its too late.
on the off chance you won't, then you have plenty of time--go for it.
all the best.
(insert self-aggrandizing quote here)
THanx lol im 20 years old now , will be 21 in late april 2011
Quote by AlanHB

The bassist from fallout boy was 26 when they got signed by their label
The singer from nickelback was also 26 when they got signed and the original band had his older brothers.
Cee lo green was 27

Mind you most of these people start their bands when they're about 21 and spend 4 to 5 years before they finally find any success, and may have been with smaller indie labels (much easier to get on with). If you haven't started by the time your 21 though, then you've probably run out of time.

Age I don't think age is so much the issue, it's the youthfulness that people want. Mainstream music is aimed for the younger generation, and as long as an artist is young or atleast looks or acts young, they'll still be accepted by the mainstream. Labels aren't going to sign a band of 30 year olds that look like they've been through hell and back, but if they look younger they might have a chance.
To OP

It depends where you wanna get with the guitar, if its making it - i'd say you have an equal chance as anyone.

I asked the same question as you once before, and i was 13!! But if you started now, by the time you were 25 you could be epic.
The 25+ thing is sort of right for the 00's decade, these days more and more bands come through and you wouldnt be able to tell if they were 21 or 31 because they are so good at performing their music no one cares.
Hopefully music will revert back to real music, the underground scene is so big with musically gifted people.

But yeah enjoy it!
Always waiting for that bit of inspiration.
If you only want to play so you can get good, then give up now.
i don't know why i feel so dry
no its definatly not too late to pick up a guitar. my friends guitar teacher picked it up at age 30 and he's great.
What you put in is what you will get.
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
Quote by scguitarking927
The bassist from fallout boy was 26 when they got signed by their label
The singer from nickelback was also 26 when they got signed and the original band had his older brothers.
Cee lo green was 27

I know I'm being picky but;

The bassist from Fallout Boy was already in a signed band when Fallout Boy was signed. His band Arma Agelus was first signed when he was 20-21 (Let It Burn Records). He's already in the industry, it's easy to get signed when you've already been signed before (think about the amount of signed bands which break up, then the members form other signed bands).

The singer from Nickelback (Chad Kroger), would have been 24-25 when his records were re-issued. To be fair they did put in a lot of work to that band, it was around for at least 5 years before they were signed.

Cee Lo, he was signed as part of Goodie Mob when he was 21.
Soundcloud
the music industry is definitely youth driven, but if you just want to play guitar for fun, age is far less of a factor.

and 20 is not too old either way.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Mar 23, 2011,
Thanx guys = )
IMO. You can play as good as anybody in 10 years or less. By that i don't mean versatile but on the same level of playing.
IF
You have talent. You are devoted to practicing.
NOW
It's no use asking is it worth it. You can't tell if you're going to be a great player until after the first 2 years. The way you asked "is it worth the juice".. in your case it's not! Either way you will play for 2 years before you can answer that question. Some play for 20 years and play on the same level as some play after 2. But it makes them happy and that's the deal.
It's no use asking is it worth it. You can't tell if you're going to be a great player until after the first 2 years. The way you asked "is it worth the juice".. in your case it's not! Either way you will play for 2 years before you can answer that question. Some play for 20 years and play on the same level as some play after 2. But it makes them happy and that's the deal.

you can't tell if your going to be a great player until you become one. natural talent exists (though really, the only time i buy 'natural talent' is in the case of 8 year old prodigies--aside from that its usually more of a case of hard work at a young age), but, unless your completely tone deaf (which is INCREDIBLY rare) natural musical ineptitude does not exist: it is a myth propogated by lazy and inept music teachers. you can be a great musician if you set your mind to it, and practice a lot and effectively--the reason people plateu and don't progress over 20 years is that they are not practicing enough, or correctly.
all the best.
(insert self-aggrandizing quote here)
lol thanx for the responses guys
Page 1 of 3