i just recently aquired the rust in piece album and im addicted to the tone ellefson has on that album and im curious as to how he achieves such a ballsy tone. any insight as to equipment pups and amps?
Quote by Bass First
Rump, a P-bass delivers a rump in the sound such that, similar to the rump on an African American woman, it is the highlight of the tone.
He has been a longtime user of Peavey amps; so much so that he had a hand in designing the Tour 450 and 700 heads. I believe he was using a Jackson Concert bass at the time; he has recently gone back to them and is due to have a signature model out soon.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
He used Hartke amps the last I heard and he has used Ampegs in the past as well as the previously mentioned Peaveys.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
i looked at the booklet inside the case and it appears that those are emgs in his jackson. am i seeing that right or does he prefer another brand of pups?
Quote by Bass First
Rump, a P-bass delivers a rump in the sound such that, similar to the rump on an African American woman, it is the highlight of the tone.
The Jackson Concert bass comes with EMG-Hz pickups.

"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
hmmm.... id think it would be emgs then but his bass in the booklet has a pj pup arrangement and not soapbar
Quote by Bass First
There's a few different versions of the Concert bass that aren't listed on the Jackson website. Ellefson's bass/es would be Custom Shop anyway.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
About 1.5mm action and a pick.
<Insert Witty Comment Here>

1981 Fender Lead I Seymour Duncan humbucker, Mesa BoogieIIIRectifer, MKIIRhodes,PRS
I know this is sort of an old thread, but I can nail the Rust in Peace bass tone through my Jackson CMG bass and a GK MBE-III.

Here are the EQ settings

Bass: 8 OR 8.5
Hi and Low Mids: Full On
Treble: 3 OR 4
Boost: 4
Hi Boost: Full On
Contour: Full on
It may sound simple but a lot of mids and treble and keep the bass to about 2-3. Otherwise, getting the signature bass is a great advantage. I made a recording and wanted to get even more realistic of tone. Then, I realized, the pick is everything. It gives Ellefson his signature trudging or cracking to his sound. Also, for even more, listen to some of the bass master tracks on youtube so you can here some of his different and unique techniques, such as palm muting. Hope that helps.
Quote by mcraddict81592
Since when do we do deep and meaningful? You can't just switch between random quirky fun and deep and heartfelt shit, we aren't the Breakfast Club, man.

Quote by CL/\SH
Although, my approval doesn't mean shit

RUSH IS VARIETY!
My last post was for a bass that is not a Jackson. Otherwise go with SuperExtraCool.
Quote by mcraddict81592
Since when do we do deep and meaningful? You can't just switch between random quirky fun and deep and heartfelt shit, we aren't the Breakfast Club, man.

Quote by CL/\SH
Although, my approval doesn't mean shit

RUSH IS VARIETY!
Quote by SuperExtraCool
I know this is sort of an old thread

It's the one year anniversary...