Hey guys..

So I am in the market for a new laptop.. Just after some oppinions.. I have looked at the Mac Book Pro but they are a bit expensive.. and I have an external HDD that I will have to reformat so that it is compatible with a mac (as I have a laptop with vista atm that is almost dead)

So anyways, anyone have any oppinions on either the mac book pro or any other decent laptops out there at the moment.

Cheers.
Quote by srq89
yeah easily, I took on one of my uncles who's suppose to be the strongest in the family and has the hottest wife. Tamed him like my bitch and then wacked off afterward thinking about his wife.

All in all, a very productive day.
my bad.. Between 1500-2000 AUD and it will be used for uni assignments, internet, movies and the occasional game
Quote by srq89
yeah easily, I took on one of my uncles who's suppose to be the strongest in the family and has the hottest wife. Tamed him like my bitch and then wacked off afterward thinking about his wife.

Asus is cheaper and better quality.
ESP Eclipse Standard Series W/ PRS Santana II Pickups
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals
Quote by shan0_
my bad.. Between 1500-2000 AUD and it will be used for uni assignments, internet, movies and the occasional game

Quote by srq89

Asus is probably good, but you might be able to do better with that budget.

Do not buy a Dell, I have one and in the first year (under the MW) I had to replace the harddrive three times.
2000 AUS seems excessive for internet and movies , you could get something awesome for that price.
Don't get an HP, from my experience they generally make shoddy computers and don't have great customer service. If I had to make a non-Mac suggestion I'd say go with Asus as I've heard nothing but good things.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by rgrockr
Asus as I've heard nothing but good things.

Quote by djentman
Asus... it doesn't get good battery life

its more of a desktop replacement if anything....

Quote by Athabasca
My ex did the same. Cheated on me and then acted like I'd given her sister a facial. Women are retarded.
I'd recommend an Asus. I've got a K50IN, which I got for just under $1000, and it works really well. I'm using it for school work (which I have a lot of), games, internet and the odd movie, and it works really well. Only issue is battery life, I tend to plug it in most of the time, although there is a pretty good battery-saving mode which last for 3-4 hours.
It's more of a lower-budget option, but it's still a good laptop (plus, you could invest the savings in some new guitar equipment
Quote by Snowman388

I don't know much about computers but I'm pretty sure that 17-inchers aren't very battery-friendly. If you're gonna be using it away from a power source a 13 incher will work very well; I moved from a 15in HP to a 13in MacBook and I actually like it better, it feels a little brighter and a little more personal than the 15incher.

EDIT: Have you just looked at the higher-end MBP's? I think unless you're gonna play games a white MacBook or a 13in MBP might work for you.
Last edited by rgrockr at Mar 23, 2011,
The MBP is by far the best laptop available, but you don't necessarily need it, especially for the basic tasks you listed. It has more value if you had some professional application for it, but if not, you could be saving a lot of money buying an Asus/HP/Vaio for regular school work.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I used to be an apple hater, but look at the lower end Mac Books and Mac Book Pros. After my mate got one I fell in love with them. Exceptional battery life and build quality, and you can even run windows on it if you need to. The new MBPs are VERY powerful too.
Don't be one of those people with a mac to do uni assignments. It's so pointless.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jambi_mantra
Don't be one of those people with a mac to do uni assignments. It's so pointless.

Actually I think uni students like Macs because lots of uni students are artists of some kind; at least, it's kind of a "stereotype" that uni students are free thinkers who embrace free expression.
Quote by rgrockr
Actually I think uni students like Macs because lots of uni students are artists of some kind; at least, it's kind of a "stereotype" that uni students are free thinkers who embrace free expression.

It's more that a lot of them are idiots and seem to think people care that they're sitting there tapping away on the 2 grand mac book. Atleast that's the impression I get.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jambi_mantra
It's more that a lot of them are idiots and seem to think people care that they're sitting there tapping away on the 2 grand mac book. Atleast that's the impression I get.

A lot of them probably are idiots... people like to buy expensive stuff just for the satisfaction of owning expensive stuff, as shown by expensive wines and such. But there is also a legitimate reason uni students might be more interested in Macs; I get the impression that even uni students with no creative ability still like to call themselves artists, and owning a Mac is a way of trying to show off that you think you're an artist.
Quote by rgrockr
A lot of them probably are idiots... people like to buy expensive stuff just for the satisfaction of owning expensive stuff, as shown by expensive wines and such. But there is also a legitimate reason uni students might be more interested in Macs; I get the impression that even uni students with no creative ability still like to call themselves artists, and owning a Mac is a way of trying to show off that you think you're an artist.

That sounds like a long explanation for how someone is an idiot

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by trueamerican
MacBook Pros really aren't that expensive....

A 15 inch one here is 2100 bucks. You can get an Asus one that does uni assignments just as well for 500 bucks.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jambi_mantra
A 15 inch one here is 2100 bucks. You can get an Asus one that does uni assignments just as well for 500 bucks.

Asus are very shoddy. They were very popular in my high school. However, I had a MacBook (not even a MacBook Pro) that not only lasted me through four years of heavy use (downloading, streaming, just a little homework, making videos, etc.) but didn't get much slower over time. The battery life got worse and worse, but it was still a working computer, and still is. Whereas my friends who got Asus or Dell laptops had nothing worth keeping after a short time. My friend's Asus lasted him about two years. Except I think "lasted" is a subjective term, because it crashed multiple times and he had to get basic shit replaced a lot. My MacBook crashed once in four years, and that was because the hard drive went off track.

You pay for quality too. Now, I agree that if you just need something to get you through homework, Asus will do the job, and spending the money on a MacBook or MacBook Pro is an absolute waste.
Quote by jambi_mantra

The only justification I can see for a 15in MBP is if you actually do professional work (i.e. get paid for it) on it. A 13in screen is really not that bad, I actually like it better TBH. Those should run about $1000 (white MB) to around $1500 for a reasonably upgraded MBP.
Quote by rgrockr
The only justification I can see for a 15in MBP is if you actually do professional work (i.e. get paid for it) on it. A 13in screen is really not that bad, I actually like it better TBH. Those should run about $1000 (white MB) to around $1500 for a reasonably upgraded MBP.

The stock MBP is perfectly good. And I think he means 2100 in AUD.
Quote by trueamerican
Asus are very shoddy. They were very popular in my high school. However, I had a MacBook (not even a MacBook Pro) that not only lasted me through four years of heavy use (downloading, streaming, just a little homework, making videos, etc.) but didn't get much slower over time. The battery life got worse and worse, but it was still a working computer, and still is. Whereas my friends who got Asus or Dell laptops had nothing worth keeping after a short time. My friend's Asus lasted him about two years. Except I think "lasted" is a subjective term, because it crashed multiple times and he had to get basic shit replaced a lot. My MacBook crashed once in four years, and that was because the hard drive went off track.

You pay for quality too. Now, I agree that if you just need something to get you through homework, Asus will do the job, and spending the money on a MacBook or MacBook Pro is an absolute waste.

I would disagree with that out of personal experience, my Dell has lasted me with no problems for 5 years. But obviously every case is different so it's a circle argument.

Yea, that's my main issue, paying 2100 bucks for a 15 inch macbook so you can do essays and note take on powerpoints is just retarded in my opinion.

Quote by rgrockr

Even the 13 inch one is A$1400 and yea for sure, if you need the stuff that a mac can do, get one. But for uni assignments, especially if you're not doing anything around music or multimedia, you don't need a mac.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
When I was buying a laptop I looked on macs.

My laptop: (8,000 NOK)
high-mid graphics card 1GB
2.2 dual core Intel CPU
4GB ram

Mac cosing way above twice (20,000 NOK)
mid-range graphics card 512MB
1,67 dual core CPU
2GB RAM.

They might be solidly built, but when you pay twice for less performance. Windows work well for music recording as well as other artistic stuff, just with different software. It's the smug feeling of superiority that you get when buying something that's extremely overpriced.

The new iPhone's price is even crazier -- I wouldn't pay more for a phone than my powerfuill desctop PC build.
Last edited by GisleAune at Mar 23, 2011,